Assumptions assumptions... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2018, 03:08 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Assumptions assumptions...

Over the years I've notice a tendency to assume, yes assume, that I have a xxx therefore you must have a xxx. It's particularly noticeable in Scamp trailers sizes. Remember there are 3 sizes and just because you own a 16' doesn't mean all Scamp owners own a 16'. Some own a 13' and others own the 19'. They're all somewhat different.

Two recommendations. 1. In your profile make sure the size you have is lilsted.
2. When responding to a question look at the make and size of trailer question are being asked about. If it's not listed ask before responding with advice.

This is an observation and my recommendations to make things for answers to be more relevant.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:20 PM   #2

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
have you ever tried herding cats?
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 05:36 AM   #3

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
have you ever tried herding cats?
About what sized cat are you asking? I would assume that size matters.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 05:43 AM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
When reading on this forum I always look at the poster profile on the left side and see what trailer they have, if it's a small trailer like a Scamp I pretty much have to take that into consideration when reading there reply. We currently have a 17 Casita and I think it's a little small at times, but manageable for the time being. If you don't have your trailer listed in that box to the left, you need to go to your UserCP and add it, so we can understand where you are coming from with your answers.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 06:52 AM   #5

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Until shown otherwise, I'm inclined to assume folks post here with the best of intentions. If someone is new and needs to provide more info, easy enough to ask. If a poster offers help that misses the mark, others are more than eager to sort it out, but thanks for trying!
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 07:16 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Exactly! Great post, Shelby.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 10:10 AM   #7

Name: Rob
Trailer: '80 Trillium 1300
Florida
Registry
I think it is worth noting an observation I made earlier this week. The only 1973 Love Bug I had ever seen was my own until Monday of this week. Having taken it apart and put it back together, I know the thing pretty intimately. Driving home I was surprised to see another one and, of course, I immediately stopped and talked up the owner.

After looking over the 1973 Love Bug that was not my own, I noticed variations in the fenders and thickness of the fiberglass lay. His lower half was of a little thicker glass and the fenders were distinct in their style--definitely a departure/modification from the mold used for mine.

It became apparent that as these were hand-made, with each build there were slight modifications. I don't know if that is the case mid-year for other vintage fiberglass trailers but this was apparently the case across Love Bugs manufactured in 1973.

*the more you know*
rkbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 11:38 AM   #8

Name: R.W. Rick
Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 25B175CB
Alberta
Assume = Ass-U-Me
Tug Hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 12:39 PM   #9

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Having owned five Scamps, two 13', two 16', and one 19', covering from 1976 to 2003, I can attest that other than being a few feet longer or shorter, the standard models are all pretty, well, standard; and that the deluxe models are all pretty much, well, deluxe. I've had the most very basic and pretty much the most deluxe among them. And they're all more similar than different as built at the factory, regardless of year, length, or trim level. If you have a particular option, it's going to be the same across the lineup.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsiNSqw4L

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjA3oYGs

https://flic.kr/s/aHsiNSqwah

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmnvfES9

My 1981 Jeep Scrambler and 1976 Scamp travel trailer by Roger H, on Flickr
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 01:31 PM   #10

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
I agree with Roger. It depends entirely on what is being asked. In MANY instances, the answer will be the same, no matter what size or age of trailer is in question. Where a question is size/model/year specific, then yes, only answer if you are "qualified".
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 06:05 PM   #11

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
I agree with Roger. It depends entirely on what is being asked. In MANY instances, the answer will be the same, no matter what size or age of trailer is in question. Where a question is size/model/year specific, then yes, only answer if you are "qualified".
We really do need to establish a committee in this forum that gives out qualification examinations to anyyone who wants to respond to postings. Then assigns them a number that must be included when they respond. That way newbies will know if they can place trust in the person who is offering advice
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote