At 58.... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-29-2007, 04:44 PM   #15
Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Yeah! I'm pushing 68. A year ago spent 10 days canoeing a Northern river. Spent another month and a half getting my knees to work right again after all the portaging. Would I do it again?...In a heartbeat

Same here ...we Kayak and I still want to do the at least a 10 day kayak trip in your neck of the woods. May have to roll myself out of the *Yak* everyday ,may not even be able to stand up for long on the whole trip......but if I can talk the DH into it I am there next year( he worries to much about me and is scared for me to do that kind of trip any more) Hay,I'm as young as I am ever going to be I have always had the pain so * let's just do it* Will admit to one thing though.....I would have to take a trip with very little or even No portage.

Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:34 PM   #16
Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Way to go Lynn
I've got 4 canoes and two kayaks at the moment. And yes I do have to ROLL myself out sometimes because the knees don't like to stay at that attitude too long and then the feet go to sleep. I use the 'yaks for puttering around at the cottage and bass fishing if no one else is going out. One is a big two person and the other is a little tourer that,s a real pleasure to take anywhere. If we go camping I take one of the cedar strippers. They're lighter than the ABS and look so cool when cartopped.Have drawn up the plans and built the strongback for a 'yak big enough to carry my camping gear. Hhope to build it one of these days. These are the things that keep us going EH?

james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 04:17 AM   #17
Trailer: Boler 13 ft
As Lynn says " Just do it".
As far as building your Yak, James. be carefull not to work your hands too much.
Last year I built 3-16ft canoes from Jan, to June and all that sanding and scrapeing raised the devil with my hands and now I got Carpel tunnel syndrom in both hands makeing it difficult to do alot of things.
My mother-in-law who is now 86 is in a bad way because she has convinced herself that she doesn't want to go anywhere or see anyone and says she is happy just to sit in her easy chair all day and do crafts.
I saw this comeing on about a year ago and urged my wife to try and get her mom to go out with us but she didn't head my words and now after a year of sitting her mom can't even walk out to the kitchen without being out of breath and sweating.
She has all the reasons Why....100 + overweight....bad hips...bad knees...bad blood pressure and bad heart and OLD AGE.
She can not see that sitting in that easy chair now is the worse thing she can be doing and my wife says, don't say a word to her so I don't.
Gerry the Canoebuilder
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 09:38 PM   #18
Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Doug started this thread, where is he. I know. Hes to old to punch the key board
Chester, NO, I am still here (watchin') but been AWOL for 3 days R n R'ing in Warshington State in advance of the CHRISTMAS (aka 'festive') Season.
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 08:33 AM   #19
Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Yeah! Gerry.
I think that there's someone like that in every family. As to the kayak, I saw some of the sea kayaks done in cedar and just had to go out and get Nick Shades book. Read it cover to cover 99+ times, drawn up ALL his plans and then re designed to suit self. Hey! We can't leave well enough alone can we. I did the same to the Redbirds that I built from Ted Moores plans. Sometimes planning [wife calls it dreaming] is as much fun as building, as getting out there. Guess I'll go and make another paddle it's a good winter indoor activity. Think I'd like to carve one in the west Coast style.

james kent is offline   Reply With Quote