At 58.... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2007, 07:03 PM   #1

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
I'm already feeling like this ....... anyone else
Attached Thumbnails
Usquirrel.jpg  
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 07:18 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Yup----As i get older the ackes and pains get worse. Heart goes to heck, back is sore. Each bump and bruse takes longer to get rid off. Dr sends you for stress test and of course your prostate gets bigger and then those test to do. The odd biopsy starts and you wonder if getting older is such a good idea. Pill popping is the norm---Dr said so. This is the golden age. Retirement is staring you in the face. This is called going to hxxx in a hand basket.

Well you asked.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:51 PM   #3

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Hi Doug..........just 58 wait ,it gets better............everything Chester said (except the prostate) but us girls are not left out we get to do the mam..grams and they are oh so much fun

Would I go back to 58 ? in a heart beat! would I go younger? ...........no don't think so, even with all the aches and pains don't think I want to go back to little kids,up all night..doctor visits.......being home while everyone is out having fun...WAIT what am I saying I still have all that except the little kids part. Oh well ,life is fun live everyday as if you love it!and try to go camping more often with the grandkids ..it is more fun to take along their parents then you get to set and watch them worry about ALL the things you use to when they were little and it just doubles the fun of camping.

Luckylynn
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 10:12 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
As i get older the ackes and pains get worse.
Someone once said, "Old age is NOT for sissies."
Old 11-21-2007, 10:16 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Someone once said, "Old age is NOT for sissies."
Beats the alternative!! Birthdays are good... the more you have the longer you live. I have a couple of friends who will be forever young. If they could, I'd imagine they'd trade places with me in a heartbeat, aches and pains and all. Embrace those pains, they tell you that you're alive.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 10:27 PM   #6

Trailer: Boler 1984
58..Why you young pip...
I got 10 years on you. Had a stroke a few years ago and it took a while to relearn some things. AND now I've got those little white pills, little pink ones, Blue capsules, And a couple I don't even rember what they are for. Some for heart, some for colesterol, some for bloodpressure, something for the arthritis and some to make one pee. to get rid of the fluid the others make your body want to store. BUT the Doc says if I want to keep going --Take them, and I do. Figure I've got another 25 good ones left and I'm going to make the best of them. Mom's 97 and going strong so mabee I've got a chance.
I walk the dog to get rid of the leg pains and keep myself active with my carving club and making musical instruments. Doing a craft show this weekend.
Don't stop.
Don't give up.
Keep smiling.
Look for something new to do each day. Keep your mind and body as active as it will allow. Now that I'm retired I'm learning ALL kinds of things. It's like someone opened a door and there's light on the other side.
I'M NOT READY TO QUIT!
Holy cow, did I say all that
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 01:16 AM   #7

Trailer: Boler 17 ft
That's what my mom says, old age ain't for sissies.

I am so lucky to have a mom to say that to me.

I became pregnant at an "old age" (35) just after my dear dad died. When the young (!) doctor asked me "And what does Daddy do?" I thought she meant my dad, not my husband, and I said, "Well, now that he's in heaven, I imagine he has finally made it to the NHL, and is skating on smooth, clear ice."
CharlynnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 04:15 AM   #8

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
It's not so much the years that add up but all the abuse I put myself through during those years that takes its toll.
Claming off the North Shore in mud and water as a teen in the winter months could not have helped.
Nor, working off a fishing boat for a year in the North Atlantic.
Nor, haveing a oak log come rolling off the pile, and pin your legs against (a SOFTER) Beach log.
But I wont complain because now still cutting and splitting and selling fire wood keeps me out of trouble, and I sleep well at night, exept for that nightly trip to the potty.
My wife says I will die doing fire-wood well thats OK...no one in my family lived over 65 anyway and that's not to far off.
Will I die because I do fire-wood or will the fact that I do fire-wood kill me!
I think the former.
After the first few days I feel better.
It's the sitting around all winter, not doing anything that will kill me.
Gerry the canoebuilder
Attached Thumbnails
2007_wood.JPG  
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 05:40 AM   #9

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Heck Gerry... I saw a pile like that every evening... In front of the T.V.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 10:35 PM   #10

Trailer: 29 ft Arctic Fox and 17 ft Bigfoot
Thumbs down

Quote:
Hi: Heck Gerry... I saw a pile like that every evening... In front of the T.V.
Yep, I feel that way often. But, I am 60 yrs. old and I walked a good 4 miles today pheasant hunting with my dog. I ache tonight. It is a good ache I might ad. Ponder this: Life is not a journey to the grave with the intension of arriving safely, in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaim. "Wow what a ride".
Tom Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 05:28 AM   #11

After breaking my hip in 1977 then getting a total hip replacment in 2004 I feel great but my doctor seem to think I should slow down and take up...in his own words "a hobby...maybe stamp collecting or coins".
I just smiled...I felt nothing but pain for 27 years and it got so bad I could not tie my own shoes and now...no leg pain.
I got right out there 4 months after getting the replacement and cut my first truck load of logs.
"Better to ware it out then have it Rust out"
Gerry the canoebuilder
Old 11-29-2007, 07:02 AM   #12

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Hey!!! I just realized... I am 58!!! My father always said " I'd rather go DOWN IN A HEAP than DOWN IN THE DUMPS" and he did... Died with a shovel in his hands...
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 12:24 PM   #13

Yeah! I'm pushing 68. A year ago spent 10 days canoeing a Northern river. Spent another month and a half getting my knees to work right again after all the portaging. Would I do it again?...In a heartbeat.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:33 PM   #14

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Doug started this thread, where is he. I know. Hes to old to punch the key board
Old 11-29-2007, 05:44 PM   #15

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Quote:
Yeah! I'm pushing 68. A year ago spent 10 days canoeing a Northern river. Spent another month and a half getting my knees to work right again after all the portaging. Would I do it again?...In a heartbeat

Same here ...we Kayak and I still want to do the at least a 10 day kayak trip in your neck of the woods. May have to roll myself out of the *Yak* everyday ,may not even be able to stand up for long on the whole trip......but if I can talk the DH into it I am there next year( he worries to much about me and is scared for me to do that kind of trip any more) Hay,I'm as young as I am ever going to be I have always had the pain so * let's just do it* Will admit to one thing though.....I would have to take a trip with very little or even No portage.
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:34 PM   #16

Way to go Lynn
I've got 4 canoes and two kayaks at the moment. And yes I do have to ROLL myself out sometimes because the knees don't like to stay at that attitude too long and then the feet go to sleep. I use the 'yaks for puttering around at the cottage and bass fishing if no one else is going out. One is a big two person and the other is a little tourer that,s a real pleasure to take anywhere. If we go camping I take one of the cedar strippers. They're lighter than the ABS and look so cool when cartopped.Have drawn up the plans and built the strongback for a 'yak big enough to carry my camping gear. Hhope to build it one of these days. These are the things that keep us going EH?
Old 11-30-2007, 05:17 AM   #17

As Lynn says " Just do it".
As far as building your Yak, James. be carefull not to work your hands too much.
Last year I built 3-16ft canoes from Jan, to June and all that sanding and scrapeing raised the devil with my hands and now I got Carpel tunnel syndrom in both hands makeing it difficult to do alot of things.
My mother-in-law who is now 86 is in a bad way because she has convinced herself that she doesn't want to go anywhere or see anyone and says she is happy just to sit in her easy chair all day and do crafts.
I saw this comeing on about a year ago and urged my wife to try and get her mom to go out with us but she didn't head my words and now after a year of sitting her mom can't even walk out to the kitchen without being out of breath and sweating.
She has all the reasons Why....100 + overweight....bad hips...bad knees...bad blood pressure and bad heart and OLD AGE.
She can not see that sitting in that easy chair now is the worse thing she can be doing and my wife says, don't say a word to her so I don't.
Gerry the Canoebuilder
Old 12-01-2007, 10:38 PM   #18

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Quote:
Doug started this thread, where is he. I know. Hes to old to punch the key board
Chester, NO, I am still here (watchin') but been AWOL for 3 days R n R'ing in Warshington State in advance of the CHRISTMAS (aka 'festive') Season.
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 09:33 AM   #19

Yeah! Gerry.
I think that there's someone like that in every family. As to the kayak, I saw some of the sea kayaks done in cedar and just had to go out and get Nick Shades book. Read it cover to cover 99+ times, drawn up ALL his plans and then re designed to suit self. Hey! We can't leave well enough alone can we. I did the same to the Redbirds that I built from Ted Moores plans. Sometimes planning [wife calls it dreaming] is as much fun as building, as getting out there. Guess I'll go and make another paddle it's a good winter indoor activity. Think I'd like to carve one in the west Coast style.