Atlas Type Maps - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2014, 07:25 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Registry
Atlas Type Maps

Hi All,

I'm looking for some feedback on your favorite atlas type maps. The kind that are on paper I know there are electronic alternatives (and use them) but I still like to sit in a chair with a map in my lap and plan my next destination.

For years I have used the DeLorme Atlas & Gazeteer maps and have been fairly happy with them. I recently replaced my beat up 1994 Montana Atlas with a nice new 2013 version. As I glanced through while I transferred some of my marks and notes I realized that the newer version has fewer markings for public forest service campgrounds. This doesn't make sense to me. Why would someone produce a map geared towards recreation (says so right on the cover) and actually remove recreation details in a newer version? Finding public camping is one of the main reasons I buy these maps and now I'm not so sure I want to invest in new maps for other states.

I have heard about Benchmark maps but haven't tried them yet. They don't seem to cover as many locations as DeLorme but I'm wondering if they have better details.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:44 PM   #2

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Benchmark is handsdown the best atlas ever put out. And I've used them all! I've even found Benchmarks to be decent substitutes for many National Forest maps, at least so far as the main FS routes go. I've actually worn three Washingtons, two Oregons, and a California to tatters, I've used them so constantly.

Trouble in your case/location is, they're limited to the Western States for the most part.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 03:56 AM   #3
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
The Delorme Atlas used to contain more information in the front as well. Historical landmarks, canoe opportunities, geographical interests, etc. A while back I was looking to replace my 2007 Roadmaster American map atlas. I bought both Rand McNally and Michelin. Neither is as good. Less detail. My guess is they figure most folks use GPS but will buy a paper map as back up if it's cheap enough. Unfortunate. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 05:18 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Registry
Francesca, I appreciate your thoughts on Benchmark. I'll certainly have to try them. Now I wish I hadn't bought the newer DeLorme for MT.

Raz, Yes. All that info in front is what made the DeLorme maps fun to look through. I've also wondered if they now look at the hard copy as a supplement to GPS units and smart phones. I feel they're shooting themselves in the foot by removing recreational details.

When my wife and I travel I do most of the driving. She likes to keep the map open and tell me about what's around us like the names of mountain ranges, parks, possible routes might try, etc. A GPS is a nice tool for car navigation but you can't peruse very easily with a GPS.