Attacked by a giant hitch hiker. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2010, 07:27 PM   #1

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Attacked by a giant hitch hiker.

Today I was minding my own business driving through Oregon on I-5, going 65 mph towing our trailer in fairly heavy traffic. When I turned my head to check the traffic beside us, I found a gaint monster had climbed up the car seat and was sitting on my arm staring right at my face. As he sat there, ready to take a bite out of my face and send us crashing into several semis a strange scream filled the jeep and awoke my sleeping husband. Fast hand work flung the monster down onto the floor, thus saving my face from serious damage. I moved over to the shoulder and as we came to a stop, Dale gallantly leaped out and threw open the door, prepared to do battle to save his wife.

At least that is how it seems to me. Actually it was a nice salamander that had hitched a ride from California and had no evil intentions. How he got on my arm I will never know. But we did see him on the floor of the drivers side, before he ran for cover. Because we couldn't find him, while we were on the freeway I drove the rest of the way with my pants rolled up so he couldn't climb up my pant legs. Just now Dale informed me that the lizard had leaped out of the door when he went out to get some stuff for the house. I sure hope he finds some relatives up here to tell his story to and that it isn't too cold for the hitch hiker who attacked me while I was driving down the freeway.
Linda R002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:40 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Has your heart rate slowed down yet ? I know it wasn't funny to you but you sure gave me a laugh. LOL

Bill K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda&Dale View Post
Today I was minding my own business driving through Oregon on I-5, going 65 mph towing our trailer in fairly heavy traffic. When I turned my head to check the traffic beside us, I found a gaint monster had climbed up the car seat and was sitting on my arm staring right at my face. As he sat there, ready to take a bite out of my face and send us crashing into several semis a strange scream filled the jeep and awoke my sleeping husband. Fast hand work flung the monster down onto the floor, thus saving my face from serious damage. I moved over to the shoulder and as we came to a stop, Dale gallantly leaped out and threw open the door, prepared to do battle to save his wife.

At least that is how it seems to me. Actually it was a nice salamander that had hitched a ride from California and had no evil intentions. How he got on my arm I will never know. But we did see him on the floor of the drivers side, before he ran for cover. Because we couldn't find him, while we were on the freeway I drove the rest of the way with my pants rolled up so he couldn't climb up my pant legs. Just now Dale informed me that the lizard had leaped out of the door when he went out to get some stuff for the house. I sure hope he finds some relatives up here to tell his story to and that it isn't too cold for the hitch hiker who attacked me while I was driving down the freeway.
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:46 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Great story. I can just see poor Dale ready to do battle only to find out it was a tiny little guy who was probably more scared of you guys than you were of him

Glad all of you, including the trailer, came through unscathed.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 08:40 AM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
I that was a spider I woulda left the car there and went home.........Bruce
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 09:14 AM   #5

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Sure you don't have GEICO (Gecko) insurance? lol
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:56 PM   #6

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
My kids had those. I had to buy expensive crickets that now grow freely in my laundry room. They too go the way of the dreaded box elder bug.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:45 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Registry
I would have had a wreck for sure!
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:25 PM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Registry
Quote:
Sure you don't have GEICO (Gecko) insurance? lol
Ha ha!

A week ago, my bf was picking me up from the airport. I called to tell him my plane had arrived. Like a bad boy, he picked up the phone while driving (I figured he'd be in the cell phone waiting area by then). When he answered the phone, he was hysterical...in between shrieks he said, "Be there in ten...aack!"

Click.

OK, so I waited at baggage claim, worried as hell, until I saw him pull up. He looked sheepish.
"What the heck was going on?" I asked.
He explained that one of the big, fat garden spiders that have been making the news this season had hitched a ride in the cab of the truck, and had been climbing up his leg and into the leg of his shorts at the precise time I called.

Poor baby.
Michele B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 06:45 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
My cousin and her husband were starting out from the intersection of a 4 lane road, when Sandra suddenly screamed as a spider lowered itself from her visor. Larry jammed on the brakes not knowing what it was he was about to hit, which caused the spider to swing toward her. She screamed bloody murder again and Larry laid a patch across all 4 traffic lanes thinking he was about to be hit from behind, which of course really started the spider swinging and Sandra screaming at the top of her lungs. Pandemonium and uncontrolled laughter once they stopped at the edge of the road.
David Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 05:11 PM   #10

Trailer: Cardinal (Restoring)
One lovely summer day, with all windows down in the car, stopped at a light and was joined by a large Rhode Island Red chicken thrown in my back window by some foolish kids in the car next to me. After the initial shock wore off, I proceeded to the grocery store, did my shopping, found a box to put the hen in and went home. She stayed with us for several yrs and laid good eggs. Foolish kids could have caused a miscarriage as I was over 7 mos preggers.
A spider would definetly send me into a panic, NOT my favorite critter.
RRIZZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 06:46 PM   #11

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
When they came and replace our water heater the other day (kaching, kaching) I almost made the mistake of asking the one kid if he found any snake skins under the washer. Wasn't sure he was going to stick around for the job. I assured him that the mason probably took care of where they were getting in when he tuck pointed the house. Hope.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote