Attention CALIFORNIA Owners! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-09-2006, 01:47 PM   #15

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
When my father passed away, I brought his car down to California from Seattle. It had a Washington title, and I went to Washington DMV to find out what I needed to do to take it.

They told me to simply take it and title and register it in my state of residence. They could not transfer a Washington title to me, in my name, because I don't live in Washington. Sounds logical, right?

When I went to California DMV, I had his death certificate and all the proper papers indicating I was the correct heir and was entitled to ownership of the vehicle.

California DMV would not transfer the title, claiming I had to have a Washington title in MY name first, or have the Washington titled signed off by the previous owner.

Me... "He is a little Dead"
DMV " we are sorry about your loss, Ma'am"
Me.."I don't live in Washingtonm how can I get it titled there?"
DMV.. " we don't know, but we can't transfer an out of state title unless it's in your name or have a signature"
Me.. "What if I had purchesaed it from out of state and brought it in with the old owners title?"
DMV.. "Oh, that would be different, because the previous owner would have signed it off"
Me.. "So.. all these probate papers mean nothing?"
DMV.. "We don't even know what those are, they are from Washington"

Keep in mind, I never changed my last name when I married, and it's a unique one. What are the chances that someone with the same wacky last name, in thier 30s, carrying a death certificate from a 67 year old man are NOT a duaghter?????

I called Washington DMV again. They laughed and said they have LOTs of problems with California DMV. The woman I talked to actually gave me a fake Washington address and sent me a new title.. which I took to California DMV and they transfered with no questions asked.

Old 08-09-2006, 02:34 PM   #16

Trailer: Quantum-5 5th Wheel 1980
Gina Gina Gina

If ever you are in a situation anything like that again, just tell the clerk that your father is out in the car. Go out the door, sigh his name, come back in the office and run the paper work. I have been in the used car busness for many years and have learned that DMV has no capasity to handle any situation that involves common sence. You are allways better off to keep it simple.

Old 08-09-2006, 02:43 PM   #17

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
That thought crossed my mind, however, things were still in a bit of a bureaucratic shuffle due to the lack of Will and size (or lack therof) of the estate.

Mt brother and I did everything by the book and on the up and up.. 50/50 with written agreements on possesions of high monitary value.

We didn't want any suprises in case there was an un ethical Uncle lurking in the wings (and there was.. we hired lawyers to keep him at bay.. now.. we don't talk to him anymore. His loss)

I think they may not have believed me if I said he was in the car after showing them a death certificate.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:59 PM   #18

Name: jim
Trailer: Casita 2000 17ft. Liberty
California
Thank you Gina for researching the CA DMV rules about PTI license plates. The permanent means my 13 footer has to pay $10.00 every 5 years. $2.00 a year- I can do that.
Old 08-09-2006, 06:51 PM   #19

Trailer: 1978 Trillium
Quote:
They laughed and said they have LOTs of problems with California DMV. The woman I talked to actually gave me a fake Washington address and sent me a new title.. which I took to California DMV and they transfered with no questions asked.

The CHP officer I spoke to said that the folks at the DMV I went to were generally "okay", but when people from the "OTHER" DMV needed his help or response he would call back and only speak to their supervisor because of chronic uselessness at that office.

By the way, have you ever notice how painfully slow the DMV employees move when walking from one part of the office to the other? It's like being in the Twilight Zone where the clocks all slow down.
Old 08-09-2006, 06:58 PM   #20

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
By the way, have you ever notice how painfully slow the DMV employees move when walking from one part of the office to the other? It's like being in the Twilight Zone where the clocks all slow down.
Isn't that a requirement for all DMV workers in any state?
Old 08-09-2006, 08:24 PM   #21

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
California DMV is about as fun as root canal work...
That's why I do all my DMV work at AAA.

Tags
license, registration, title