Atwood furnace new on Trillium..won't kick on...fuses fine.... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2010, 11:45 AM   #1

Trailer: 2009 13 ft Trillium (USA)
Sorry to post this in the General Chat area, but I thought I might get some early feedback on this...I posted it in Problem Solving and tried everything folks suggested.....it was just working recently....propane on,,power good....breakers on,...fuses good, thermostat on but fan and heat do not jump in when I hear that click sound when you change the thermostat to high...what could I be overlooking? Any thoughts? Lloyd
lloyd cicetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 03:26 PM   #2

Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
lloyed,

I was watching the other post to see if you would post to it the model number, there is a real reason for the need, some units use a time delay relay which when they burn out will not close the contacts to initiate the fan motor, if no fan then the T.D.R. is suspect, there is a triple redundant feature to the start sequence with a lock out in other models, others use a sail switch to confirm blower...Still others have on the older control board a 3 amp spade fuse which is unknown to most people.

There are known issues with the igniter sensor ground circuit with reference to the control board ground in more modern units.

Without model numbers I cannot access technical bulletins regarding known issues?

The variations to design in furnaces are rather stark, a generic flow chart to repair might help but would not be targeted to your model...The proof that you have 12v with a reference to ground (-12v) is elementary, oft being over looked.

When you say it does not run are we saying its dead except for the thermostat click or the relay within the unit going click? At anytime does the blower sequence come on?

How long did you wait, were tanks recently changed ect.

Its hard enough to guess with a model number, but without one its blind poker, its just a guess based on fairies in the machine.

Starting simple is best, not diving into the complex or exotic issues, ask do I have correct power, propane, are fuses good, are there any on the board?

Model?

Happy Camping, Safe Trails.

Harry
Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 04:44 PM   #3

Harry, thanks for your concern and lengthy reply. Everything was working fine on our trip to Florida a couple of weeks ago and now it's in our driveway waiting to get waxed. Meantime, a few days ago I tried turning the furnace on to warm it up and nothing. Nothing has changed since the trip and this rig is really new. When I slide the thermostat temp. setter it makes that nice clicking sound which immediately engages the fan...or used to. Plenty of propane, power, etc. Now to answer the main question...what is the model no., it is 7900 series, specifically Atwood Model 7912-II. Also, the blower sequence doesn't come on and it doesn't click at the furnace. Let me know if I should be more specific.

Hope that helps you diagnose it a little better and I really appreciate your checking this for me....what kind of egg do you own?

Thanks a bunch...Lloyd
Old 04-10-2010, 05:34 PM   #4

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Quote:
Harry, thanks for your concern and lengthy reply. Everything was working fine on our trip to Florida a couple of weeks ago and now it's in our driveway waiting to get waxed. Meantime, a few days ago I tried turning the furnace on to warm it up and nothing. Nothing has changed since the trip and this rig is really new. When I slide the thermostat temp. setter it makes that nice clicking sound which immediately engages the fan...or used to. Plenty of propane, power, etc. Now to answer the main question...what is the model no., it is 7900 series, specifically Atwood Model 7912-II. Also, the blower sequence doesn't come on and it doesn't click at the furnace. Let me know if I should be more specific.

Hope that helps you diagnose it a little better and I really appreciate your checking this for me....what kind of egg do you own?

Thanks a bunch...Lloyd
Make sure there is NO Water inside the burn chamber. It sometimes gets in there in a heavy downpour or if you washed the camper. Make sure your propane line is purged and you can do that by lighting the stove top burners.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 07:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Make sure there is NO Water inside the burn chamber. It sometimes gets in there in a heavy downpour or if you washed the camper. Make sure your propane line is purged and you can do that by lighting the stove top burners.
Darwin, I will look in the manual for the burn chamber...great idea since we had a brutal rain storm with high winds. The jalousie windows were partly open and it's possible some flew in there. Do I have it right that there is no pilot light on this new type of furnace? Only thing is, I checked for any water inside the trailer a couple of days later and it was dry. Guess some could have still gotten in there. I will check. Thanks and I will report back.

Lloyd
Old 04-11-2010, 11:56 AM   #6

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Quote:
Darwin, I will look in the manual for the burn chamber...great idea since we had a brutal rain storm with high winds. The jalousie windows were partly open and it's possible some flew in there. Do I have it right that there is no pilot light on this new type of furnace? Only thing is, I checked for any water inside the trailer a couple of days later and it was dry. Guess some could have still gotten in there. I will check. Thanks and I will report back.

Lloyd
Lloyd, while your in the manual check for a reset button on your furnace.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 01:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Lloyd, while your in the manual check for a reset button on your furnace.
John
Perry, I reset it a few times but nothing....no signs of water either....the way the table sits over the floor furnace it was impossible for rain to get in there...thanks, Lloyd
Old 04-11-2010, 07:13 PM   #8

The water gets in through the fresh air or the exhaust vent.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:08 AM   #9

Quote:
The water gets in through the fresh air or the exhaust vent.
The exhaust vent? I never checked there. The rain pounded,,could that really be the problem? How do you dry it out? Lloyd
Old 04-12-2010, 12:22 PM   #10

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Lloyd, I just checked the thermostat in my trailer. My thermostat clicks because there is plastic stop on the adjustment lever in the thermostat. Is that the click your hearing?
I think you may have an open circuit between your thermostat and furnace.
Check and tighten any connections.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:09 PM   #11

Remove the front cover and see if you have a little window and/or a small pannel that you can take off of the burn chamber.

Old 04-12-2010, 03:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Remove the front cover and see if you have a little window and/or a small pannel that you can take off of the burn chamber.
Will do........do I just look for moisture in there? Lloyd
Old 04-12-2010, 03:26 PM   #13

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
I had a similar issue with my heater.

I haven't seen you put a meter across the Thermostat connections to see if the switch truly closes when you hear the clicking?

Everything on mine was fine EXCEPT the connection between the Thermostat and the furnace switch itself.

The most simple problem and often not the one we would check?

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 04:17 PM   #14

Ed has a point. Do his check first as it is the easiest to do.

My furnace had quite a bit of water in it so I took the burner out and used a cloth to sop the water up. This happened twice to me.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Lloyd, I just checked the thermostat in my trailer. My thermostat clicks because there is plastic stop on the adjustment lever in the thermostat. Is that the click your hearing?
I think you may have an open circuit between your thermostat and furnace.
Check and tighten any connections.
John
The click is when the slider hits about 80º and then the silver end of the coil makes a magnetic connection. That's when I usually get the heater to go on. I check the heater's exhaust vent on the outside, even unscrewed it to see in there but it won't budge. Can't really get a look in there for water. What type of meter should I use to check to make sure there is a good connection between the thermostat and furnace?
Old 04-12-2010, 08:21 PM   #16

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Lloyd

You need to use your meter to check for continuity.
Use a resistance range so that when the two leads are together as a closed circuit you get full scal reading.

When the thermostat is off you should get an open circuit or no reading at all.
When the thermostat closes(Clicks on) you should get the full scale reading.

Try this right at the back of the thermostat first,I think you can even do it from the front depending on your thermostat?
If it reads correctly there then try it where the thermostat connects to the furnace and you can tell if the wire is good too.

Whether you have a Digital or Analog meter the method is the same.
If your meter has a buzzer function for continuity that may be even easier to try.

Hope this made sense?

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace, trillium