Auburn, Indiana...a great place to visit - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-05-2010, 08:56 AM   #1

Trailer: Casita
Auburn, Indiana...a great place to visit

I posted this on the Escape Trailer Forum, and thought it might be of interest here.

In another thread, we got to talking about Auburn, Indiana and I thought I should start a new thread. My Mother & Brother live there so I visit occasionally and it is such a cool place full of history.

The Auburn, Cord and Duesenberg cars were built there and they have some great museums there well worth seeing.

Kruse Classic car auction over Labor Day is a huge event.

The WW 2 Museum , Car Museum, and now the new Ford V-8 Museum is now open. My Aunt, Pearl Hays, died at 98 years of age a couple of years ago and she was a WAC in World War 2. After she died, we found many things we didn't know she had kept, such as her uniforms, books, medals, etc. and many memorabilia from her time in the South Pacific as an intelligence worker. We donated all the goods to the WW 2 Museum there, and I can't wait to see them displayed.

They have built a fabulous Diorama of the Battle of the Bulge at the Museum.

See this link for a lot of info. http://www.militaryhistorycenter.org/

Auburn is only about 20 minutes North of Ft. Wayne, Indiana, up in the N.E. corner of the state.

I don't get paid for this, I just love to share cool things.

Keith
Keith Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:31 AM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Williams View Post
I posted this on the Escape Trailer Forum, and thought it might be of interest here.

In another thread, we got to talking about Auburn, Indiana and I thought I should start a new thread. My Mother & Brother live there so I visit occasionally and it is such a cool place full of history.

The Auburn, Cord and Duesenberg cars were built there and they have some great museums there well worth seeing.

Kruse Classic car auction over Labor Day is a huge event.

The WW 2 Museum , Car Museum, and now the new Ford V-8 Museum is now open. My Aunt, Pearl Hays, died at 98 years of age a couple of years ago and she was a WAC in World War 2. After she died, we found many things we didn't know she had kept, such as her uniforms, books, medals, etc. and many memorabilia from her time in the South Pacific as an intelligence worker. We donated all the goods to the WW 2 Museum there, and I can't wait to see them displayed.

They have built a fabulous Diorama of the Battle of the Bulge at the Museum.

See this link for a lot of info. http://www.militaryhistorycenter.org/

Auburn is only about 20 minutes North of Ft. Wayne, Indiana, up in the N.E. corner of the state.

I don't get paid for this, I just love to share cool things.

Keith
Nearby Elkhart has the new RV museum , Shipshewana is a great spot and now has a new Hudson museum, and of course, Southbend has the Studebaker Museum. don't forget Indiana Beach amusement park.
There truly is.... "More than corn in Indiana"
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:36 AM   #3

So correct. That RV Hall of Fame was well worth the trip. Lot's of good stuff in Indy.

EKW
Old 08-05-2010, 10:58 AM   #4

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 13 ft
Registry
I visited both the ACD Museum and the Studebaker Museum last March. I highly recommend both. Both are very well done and the staff very informative. I guess I better put the RV H of F on my list of things to see!
Will M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:18 AM   #5

Yes, it's a new building and really fun to visit.

Also, in Elkhart, Indiana, you can visit a couple of the RV Parts Outlet stores. There's one on the South bound route out of Elkhart and it's sorta in town as the rt. jogs through. I can't remember the name but I'm sure if you ask around you can find them. Or Google it.

EKW