Awning on 13'? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2012, 07:16 PM   #1

Name: Teri
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
Ohio
Awning on 13'?

I am looking at purchasing a new 13'. Is the 8' awning worth paying for? Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Teri
terihartshorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:02 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by terihartshorn View Post
I am looking at purchasing a new 13'. Is the 8' awning worth paying for? Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Teri
A new 13' what?
I have a 13D Scamp which I ordered with an 8' Catalina 2500 awning, at a cost of $425. That was 8 years ago and I have used it a lot and enjoyed it every time.
They have since stopped production on the Catalina awning. I understand that Scamp has since gone to the Horizon awning,then rejected it in favor of the Fiama of a similar design. The price of the new awning is $875.
It must be considered that the price includes installation and that the Fiama is considered a top shelf product.
So much for price... as for value? I see my awning as an essential element in the enjoyment of my Scamp and would loathe to be without it.
In fact I Like the Catalina 2500 and find it easy to deploy and retract.
The Fiama is considered by many to be even easier.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0034.JPG  
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:26 AM   #3

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
i have one on mine and i like it for two reasons. first is a light misty rain that keeps you miserable. no its not good for downpours though.
second is a hot blaising sun. realise though the dirrection you park means everything though. a it doesn't stick out very far so if your facing the sunset, afternoon sun totaly misses it. but if your facing the sunrise,,,ahhhh shade. plus it just looks so cool with your little area set up.
usually there are picknic tables. i set mine up and put a table between the legs . makes a nice set up for cooking on the coleman, and dining outside. plus if your burning a citronela candle it sort of contains it to keep skeeters away.
so yes its worth it.
if you haven't ordered your trailer yet, check the "options " package. i think the awning might be part of the package, if not its worth it....where else are you going to hang those cute little lights?
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:27 AM   #4

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
and yes scamp is now using the fiama awning,,,i really like how easy it is to use.
the thing i like best about it is the legs are contained inside when rolled up to protect from dirt and damage.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:42 AM   #5

Ohio
Thanks so much for the responses. I appreciate it!
Old 06-06-2012, 08:05 AM   #6

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
My vote is a definite yes. We use our awing all the time, rain or shine.
Phil
Old 06-06-2012, 08:44 AM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by john warren View Post
i have one on mine and i like it for two reasons. first is a light misty rain that keeps you miserable. no its not good for downpours though.
second is a hot blaising sun. realise though the dirrection you park means everything though. a it doesn't stick out very far so if your facing the sunset, afternoon sun totaly misses it. but if your facing the sunrise,,,ahhhh shade. plus it just looks so cool with your little area set up.
usually there are picknic tables. i set mine up and put a table between the legs . makes a nice set up for cooking on the coleman, and dining outside. plus if your burning a citronela candle it sort of contains it to keep skeeters away.
so yes its worth it.
if you haven't ordered your trailer yet, check the "options " package. i think the awning might be part of the package, if not its worth it....where else are you going to hang those cute little lights?
Whenever possible, we too place the picnic table between the awning legs...We do this in order to tie the the legs to the table. This is a good way to secure the awning from wind gusts or a sudden storm.
The picture in my post is at a campground with concrete tables which could not be moved into place and not in a position convenient to park next to.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:23 AM   #8
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
We made our own. Velcro, rip stop fabric, a couple of tent poles and stakes Not fancy but is works and was less than $60. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:10 PM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
We made our own. Velcro, rip stop fabric, a couple of tent poles and stakes Not fancy but is works and was less than $60. Raz
Next step up in price would be a "bag awning" which works great and saves a lot on initial investment compared to the Fiama and would also accept a screen room....

http://www.berrylandcampers.com/rv-p...ue-p-1597.html
Attached Thumbnails
06_30_0.JPEG  
Old 06-07-2012, 07:30 AM   #10

Ohio
Thank you all for your comments. It looks like I'll go with the awning from Scamp. I appreciate everyone giving their opinions and photos. It is very helpful!
Old 06-08-2012, 09:01 PM   #11

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Yes, Yes, Yes.....get the awning. It'll make your 13 seem much bigger as you have added covered living space.
Attached Thumbnails
2008-6-29 High Cliff SP site 81 WI #2.JPG  
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 12:42 AM   #12

Name: John
Trailer: 13' 2012 Scamp
Wisconsin
Thought about the awning on our new 13' scamp, but decided to go another route.

We bought one of these on clearance at Gander Mtn - a free standing 10 x 10 awning that folds up nicely into its own carrying case w/ suitcase like wheels on it. Art fairs tend to have tons of these.

E-Z Up Pyramid 10x10 Canopy - Dick's Sporting Goods

Pros seem to be cheaper, position flexibility, able to use independent of trailer, no wind resistance.

We actually bought it mainly for scuba diving weekends to provide some sun shade so that we can suit up with our dry suits and not pass out due to heat before you are able to claw your way to the water Once you get below 30' in our our local waters, it becomes a nice chilly 40 to 45 degrees year around.
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 04:16 AM   #13

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: terihartshorn...Escape uses Carefree of Colorado awnings. They are easy to use and fit tight to the trailer so rain will not get between and drip in front of the door. Escape also has a new 13' trailer in inventory with some nice options, ready for imediate delivery too!!!
Call Tammy at Escape 604-703-1650 or email http://www.escapetrailer.com
Here's a pic of one.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
cutest13'er.jpg  
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, scamp