Awning poll: need/won't ever use - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-15-2017, 06:03 AM   #21

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
I already voted (post 7), but I'd like to add a comment. Scamp has used Fiamma awnings for the past few years. They're not cheap, but we're very impressed with the quality and ease of use. I can deploy or stow it myself in less than 2 minutes, half that with my wife. They are tough and easy to clean, but the best feature is; we always have it there. Since it doesn't take up any cargo space; we never have to decide if we'll need it for a trip.

If you follow the advice of the folks that have answered here, I would tell your buyer to look at the Fiamma awnings and the custom mounting brackets Scamp already has in their inventory. They won't be sorry. There's nothing as relaxing as having that first cup of coffee under the awning and watching your world come alive.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 06:58 AM   #22

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
YES, but... we had a bag awning on a previous trailer. It was flimsy and difficult to set up.

I would not replace an awning if you are preparing to sell. Just price accordingly. If the buyer wants an awning, give them a recommendation. Typically molded trailers sell fast, with or without an awning.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 07:45 AM   #23

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
I already voted (post 7), but I'd like to add a comment. Scamp has used Fiamma awnings for the past few years. They're not cheap, but we're very impressed with the quality and ease of use. I can deploy or stow it myself in less than 2 minutes, half that with my wife. They are tough and easy to clean, but the best feature is; we always have it there. Since it doesn't take up any cargo space; we never have to decide if we'll need it for a trip.

If you follow the advice of the folks that have answered here, I would tell your buyer to look at the Fiamma awnings and the custom mounting brackets Scamp already has in their inventory. They won't be sorry. There's nothing as relaxing as having that first cup of coffee under the awning and watching your world come alive.

Tom
Yes to the OP. Price the camper both with and without a new awning and let the prospective buyer make the call but read the following.

Tom, Scamp has not be able to source Fiamma awnings since the tragic shooting at the Fiamma facility earlier this year. I spoke with Scamp yesterday and was told they're exploring alternatives. Last week I was told they had a shipment 'due at any time' so who knows? Emails to Fiamma received an immediate auto response indicating they were closed and did not know when or even if they would re-open.
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 07:50 AM   #24

Name: Tim
Trailer: Scamp 16' Deluxe side bath
Minnesota
Awning

Yes. First thing at set up out goes the awning (fiama). It creats our outdoor room and expands the living area of the Scamp 16 alot.
swenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 08:12 AM   #25

Name: John
Trailer: 2000 16ft Scamp
Minnesota
YES, Fiamma is spendy but best ever awning. Not sure if they are back in production yet.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:56 AM   #26

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
I heard about the shooting, but didn't realize the dealership in FL was still closed. Sad, eh? I believe they are an Italian company. Maybe someone else will import them? Hope so. We have a Scamp 16D on order, scheduled for pick-up in October. I better call to see if they will be speccing Fiamma? I'm not sure I'd want a different brand sight-unseen. They are almost $1K for the Scamp 16's. Thanks for the heads up Al.

BTW, a Deluxe Scamp ordered today will be ready for pick-up in September 2018!

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 09:17 AM   #27

Name: Kerri
Trailer: Currently shopping
Oregon
YES. I have one on my soon-to-be tiny home trailer (25'), and really like it, even with hassles, for shade and rain...if I were looking at a FG trailer to buy, it might tip the scale if I was on the fence, if it had one. Also, IMVHO....as a newbie to trailer stuff
Kkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 09:26 AM   #28

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
No. I have an intense dislike for the infernal things!!
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 09:27 AM   #29

Name: Grace
Trailer: Casita 16F SD
Florida
Yes

Yes, but agree sell without. You might want to price your scamp so that you can give a "credit back" for a new awning from a reputable maker. That way the owner can pick the fabric color they want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoSwany View Post
This is an unscientific poll. If you like and use an awning, please reply YES. If you don't care for them, find them a pain in the butt, or would never pay extra for one, please reply NO.

Reason for poll: Selling our Scamp within next two months. Awning is kaput. Need to figure out if we should replace awning or sell without.

Thanks for your input!
CountrysideGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 09:31 AM   #30

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
NO. Never.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:33 AM   #31

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
YES! After three trailers without awnings, my Bigfoot has one and I Wouldn't do without again. I love not having to carry and deal with a separate canopy.
\
Walt
Old 08-15-2017, 09:35 AM   #32

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
NO. In fact, I removed the one that came on my trailer and sold it. Good Riddance!

FWIW, I like the lines of the trailer much better without that ugly awning and those silly "afterthought" mounting brackets they used.
Attached Thumbnails
Keder Rail1.JPG  
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 09:57 AM   #33

Name: debbie
Trailer: 2010 13' Scamp
North Carolina
With

I bought a CASITA with a kaput awning. Bought a new fabric cover and some spare parts and resurrected the kaput version for a lot less than new. List it high, LEAVE old awning in and offer a discount. That way new owners can s e how to replace or repair!!
DEBBIEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 10:21 AM   #34

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I've never had an awning and would never use one. I've watched too many get destroyed in the wind.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:24 AM   #35

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I've never had an awning and would never use one. I've watched too many get destroyed in the wind.
I'd never have a trailer. Seen too many of them laying in pieces at the side of the road.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:04 AM   #36

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
It's certainly true that a lot of people do not respect the vulnerabilities of awnings. But if you take the right precautions and anchor them well, and pay attention to weather forecasts, they can do very well and serve well for years.
But hey, on so many issues discussed on all the RV forums, there's a wide variety of opinions and preferences. Each of us develops our own preferences depending on our personal experiences and practices.

Walt
Old 08-15-2017, 11:40 AM   #37

Name: Henry
Trailer: Scamp 2017 16-ft SD / FB
Texas
awning

No, awning is a wast of money. Have had 2 Scamps with awning in 7 + years and use it one or two time. It is a pain in the --- to put up and a good wind will destroy it. My new Scamp has been order without awning, receiver on back, and no sewer storage tube in front. Again I vote NO! ! ! ! ! !

Henry
Gattopuin64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 02:02 PM   #38

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
We had an awning on our GetAway Van and used it every time we camped (8 times). We've already camped more than that with Peanut, and have used our Z- Shade pop up canopy about half those times. it cost us about $59 at K-Mart (and the two smaller Z-Shades were only about $49 or $39...) and we've used them, too. We had the 10' one and an 8' one at Maryhill this May, and used them both. they have no screens, but neither do most plain awnings.

The awning that attached to the van was different. No gaps where sunlight/rain could come through. It went right over the van door. These pop-ups don't fit as well. But I don't feel we've really used them to best advantage yet. Having slanted legs is a bit of an issue; the awning was RIGHT up against the van and had some real upsides because of being attached. Yet the pop-ups can be moved as the sun moves, and placed completely over a picnic table whereas the van awning was not always able to get over the site table no matter how we maneuvered.

I'd definitely say don't buy a new one just for a sale...leave the old one ON (prev. poster's point--for an example of how to do it), and wishing you a good sale.

Kai f
Old 08-15-2017, 02:12 PM   #39

Name: R. Kent
Trailer: In the market
New York
awning

yes but let new buyer replace or I can sell them my scamp16 with good awning In Vestal NY
R.Kent Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 02:42 PM   #40

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoSwany View Post
This is an unscientific poll. If you like and use an awning, please reply YES. If you don't care for them, find them a pain in the butt, or would never pay extra for one, please reply NO.

Reason for poll: Selling our Scamp within next two months. Awning is kaput. Need to figure out if we should replace awning or sell without.

Thanks for your input!
:I do not like them and like u said are a pain in the butt. But the one time I had one and I found out I really needed as the temperature was 1198F in the shade in Death Valley at the Visitor's centre. Yep we went inside around 9 AM in the morning came out 1/2 hour later put key in ignition turned and nothing happened no noise nothing, I thought it was battery so I found the Mtnce crew and they came by to give us a Jump still nothing not even a click so now what, get on phone to Good Sam Remember it is hotter than hadies hell out there in the sunshine, put awning out to get some shade, thankfully sun was in position to give us some. Good Sam sends man from Pahrump he gets to us about noon he says not battery it is the starter and the Coil and it is old style system, says you will need this and I do not have the parts nor the tools to remove it. Now back to GOod Sam and go into it again 2nd guy shows up around 4PM we have been cooking all day in the hot sun but thankfully we had that awning it kept us somewhat cool with the light breeze blowing. 2nd guy shows up from Las Vegas 2 hours from where were at he crawls under and says right away yep it is the starter he has air tools and removes it and installs new one along with coil. But wait does not start it as my wife mentioned that the Fail safe Rad Cap failed and imploded into the Rad, so he picked out all those parts and put a new fail safe Rad cap on and said lets hope this one works better than the last one. I get into the MH put key into ignition and Scotty let me tell u I was a happy camper because she started right up and in about 10 minutes we had cool air coming from the dash. Rad sat at 180* which was also good. I had almost used up all of our water supply just getting into Death valley because of that fail safe Rad cap that wasn't. So I hope this settles you in having or not having a Awning and my wife and I will never be without one even if we never use it again.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning