Awnings - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2006, 10:50 AM   #1

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Trillium
What is the difference between a "8' bag awning" and a "8' roll up awning"?

Muchas Gracias!
Sharon
Sharon Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 06:52 PM   #2

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry

Not sure what you are asking for here, we have a 13ft Trillium and because of that l'il added headroom we have over a Boler of similar length, we can use an 8ft awning as opposed to a 7ft that would fit on a Boler.

Ours is a BAG but a roll up, supplied and installed (after market item) by Reace here at Escape Trailers in the "Wack". Also, the bag awning is removeable and better for storage (mold n mildew issues up here). The box style awnings also leave a gap between the box and the trailer body which allows rain (thats a B.C. Wet Coast item ) to run down the sides of the body, IF that is a concern or not is up to you....
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 09:27 PM   #3

Was looking on eBay and found some 8' bag awnings (which I get) with a buy it now price of $185. He also has some 8' roll up awnings for a buy it now price of $135. Could it be just that one has a storage bag and the other doesn't??
Old 03-10-2006, 10:23 PM   #4

Trailer: 1977 Trillium 13 ft
Sharon,

I just orderd a 7' bag awning off ebay for $142 with shipping.

awning

The difference between the two you were looking at is that the 8' bag awning comes with a storage bag that can be left on the awning rail during transport ($185) The rope and pole awning must be removed before transport. ($135) More info:

more info

He actually charges less at his website than on ebay $165/$125. (Sorry to repeat if you've already looked at this.)

Good luck!
David Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 11:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Sharon,

I just orderd a 7' bag awning off ebay for $142 with shipping.

awning

The difference between the two you were looking at is that the 8' bag awning comes with a storage bag that can be left on the awning rail during transport ($185) The rope and pole awning must be removed before transport. ($135) More info:

more info

He actually charges less at his website than on ebay $165/$125. (Sorry to repeat if you've already looked at this.)

Good luck!
David,

Your little guy is so cute! Thanks for the straight scoop. Why did you go with a 7' vs 8'. Is that about all the length you can get on the 13'Trill? Also, does the 'track' that goes on the trailer come with his awnings or do you have to purchase that seperately?

Thanks,
Sharon
Old 03-11-2006, 08:36 AM   #6

Quote:
David,

Your little guy is so cute! Thanks for the straight scoop. Why did you go with a 7' vs 8'. Is that about all the length you can get on the 13'Trill? Also, does the 'track' that goes on the trailer come with his awnings or do you have to purchase that seperately?

Thanks,
Sharon
I went with the 7' beacause that was the leangth of my awning rail (track) - I didn't want to change it out to gain the extra foot. (Plus i save a couple of bucks.) The awning rail is sold separately, but isn't very expensive.

Thanks for the compliment on my little guy - your twins are also adorable!
Old 03-11-2006, 09:26 AM   #7

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
If Scamp does some revamping on stuff .. i would really like to see a new type of awning put on the scamps... I find these are terrible to handle alone. its really a two person job to get one down and back up into the caseing.....
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 09:39 AM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
If Scamp does some revamping on stuff .. i would really like to see a new type of awning put on the scamps... I find these are terrible to handle alone. its really a two person job to get one down and back up into the caseing.....
I wholeheardly agree Christi. Since an awning is already an option by Scamp, too bad it's also not an option on which one a buyer wants mounted. The standard windowshade style, Scamp is currently mounting, or the A&E Horizon Case Awning ala Casita. Fortunately my Scamp doesn't have an awning already mounted. I'm waiting for Camping World to put the case awning on sale and will then make the purchase!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 12:00 PM   #9

Quote:
I went with the 7' beacause that was the leangth of my awning rail (track) -
Hmmmm, so if you were starting from stratch, would you go 7' or what length?
Old 03-11-2006, 12:12 PM   #10

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
Donna.. are those awnings at camping world easier to get up and down with one person??
Do you know if they can be mounted to the same brackets as what the scamp puts on their trailers... I see they are A&E awnings also...
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 03:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Hmmmm, so if you were starting from stratch, would you go 7' or what length?
Hard to say. I just went out into the garage with a tape measure and can't tell if I'll need that extra foot. I really only need the awning to cover a couple of chairs and a small table. We use a pop-up screen room to cover the picnic table.

If you have room and can spend the little bit extra, then go with the 8'.

What size do other folks use?
Old 03-12-2006, 08:56 AM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Donna.. are those awnings at camping world easier to get up and down with one person??
Do you know if they can be mounted to the same brackets as what the scamp puts on their trailers... I see they are A&E awnings also...
Yes they are MUCH easier for one person. They crank out, not pull out like a window shade. The brackets are different than the ones Scamp uses. The downside...they're expensive. Somewhere around $600 + brackets and it's a DIY mounting. For me, I know I wouldn't use one of the other types of awnings, except in extreme hot/sunny conditions because they're difficult to use. The case awning is a snap to use and would be used often. So, I believe it's a better investment. I also have an EZ-Up (which it's NOT )

Sorry for highjacking your topic Sharon
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 09:17 AM   #13

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp (Egg Salad Annie)
Registry
My wife and I have been looking at awnings for some time now. We have decided on an
Horizon Case awning. Some time in the future. But they are expensive. They are easy to put out and down and are about the sturdiest.
Taylor Kissinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 10:44 AM   #14

Quote:
Sorry for highjacking your topic Sharon
Yeesch! Hey, as long as you are highjacking......is the awning you are talking about that is difficult the one I am talking about? The bag awning? I don't want to get something that is a pain in the arse to use.
Old 03-12-2006, 10:59 AM   #15

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp (Egg Salad Annie)
Registry
Quote:
Yeesch! Hey, as long as you are highjacking......is the awning you are talking about that is difficult the one I am talking about? The bag awning? I don't want to get something that is a pain in the arse to use.
Sharon we were in Eastern Oregon and had our awning out on the old stick frame. A thunderstorm came up while I was away, My wife had a time getting the awning secured before it blew away. I was impressed by the Horiizon because you just crank iout out and in One person , easy job,
Taylor Kissinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 11:33 AM   #16

Registry
In addition:
I MUST add the 8ft bag awning we have is not the easiest to open and close. can do it myself, but having a second pair of hands is always nicer anyway. If "mobility/agility" is an issue, I would REALLY recommend something more user friendly, like a crank model!

Also IF you have to retro fit a channel for ANY awning you will most likely end up with a series of expossed rivet heads on the inside of your trailer. This is NOT going to be a concern for me, as this spring, when I repaint the inside of our Trillium, I'll coat the heads with a shot of paintable white silicone before I paint.
Care must be taken will any awning not to let it get airborn in any windy situations. Our awning lifted up and overtop the trailer at a meet last spring, maring our new paintjob. NOta big concern, just some more touch up work to keep the trailer looking as best as we can
Old 03-14-2006, 12:44 PM   #17

Quote:
Sharon,

I just got my new bag awning in this morning. It was a very easy to set up and take down - I did it by myself in no time. I am tall, so I didn't have a problem reaching the bag to unzip and roll everything out or putting it all back in. Hope this helps.

David
Old 03-14-2006, 09:49 PM   #18

Registry
Yeah, height DOES have its advantages, ...well at LEAST sometimes, like not being able to stand upright inna Boler but a Trillium is bearable
Old 03-15-2006, 06:31 AM   #19

I've never been in a boler and I do scrape the top of the tril - but I agree, it's bearable!