Awnings anyone? - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-28-2016, 08:34 PM   #1

Name: Kristen
Trailer: in the market
Colorado
Awnings anyone?

Trying to figure out what we want on our new scamp. I was suprised at the cost of the awning when I got my price quote. Looking for opinions on is it worth it. We do mostly boondocks, desert camping so I'm leaning towards yes but the $875 price tag made me a bit short of breath.

Old 10-28-2016, 08:49 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
You'll get lots of opinions on this. You might want to do a google site search on "awnings" to pull up old discussions and alternatives to a factory case awning.

For the record we use a 10x10 straight leg First-Up canopy. Advantages: cost, flexibility (can set up anywhere), no holes in shell, the "unencumbered egg" appearance, sheds rain, can handle moderate wind. Disadvantages: heavy, takes up space in trailer, doesn't make a watertight seal when set up next to trailer, no bug protection.

There are many other options, attached and freestanding. Judging by others' comments, it depends in part on your climate (rainy, windy, dry, sunny, buggy) and travel style (touring vs spending a week in one place), as well as budget.

Old 10-28-2016, 08:57 PM   #3

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
What Jon said.
Dave & Paula......no awning.
Old 10-28-2016, 09:20 PM   #4

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Bigfoot B-17 CB
Washington
I've used my awning 3 times in 4 years.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:39 PM   #5

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
We ordered no awning. Really like the CLAM as extra room where we can put up wind panels. If we order new 16 Scamp it will have no awning.

It might depend on how you want to use your trailer. Some people find the awning fits their need. If we will be in one place for a few days we take the CLAM. It is large to carry, 6 feet long bag. Worth ever inch.

Nancy
Old 10-29-2016, 05:09 AM   #6

Name: Gerry
Trailer: Boler 13 ft / 31 ft Holiday Rambler
Maine
I had a Carefree Festiva bag on our Boler 1300 and it was on the for over 20 years so it was cost effective I would say but the ends did ware out so I replaced it with a Dometic Airline and I got to tell you I got it only because I got it new for more then 50% off.
There is no way that this awning will last 20 years or if I leave it on the camper maybe I'll get 5 years out of it.
I know when you need an awning you need it. Who wants to sit in a 1300 for 3 days waiting for the rain to stop.
Old 10-29-2016, 05:46 AM   #7
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Two poles, a piece of rip stop fabric, some bungee cords, rope, and Velcro. Cost was about $40. No holes and if it gets too windy, the Velcro let's go. Every two years or so I have to replace the Velcro on the trailer. Takes about an hour. Goo gone, a hair dryer, and some acetone. Not pretty but it works.
Attached Images

Old 10-29-2016, 05:50 AM   #8

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Casita
Connecticut
Awning?

Hey Kristin,
In the end it comes to personal choice. We have an awning on our Spirit Deluxe my wife loves it and if I had to do it again I would vote for the clam or similar shelter. We were camping in Vermont last spring and left to go kayaking on a nearby lake. When we left there wasn't a cloud in the sky by the time we put the kayaks in the water the weather was starting to change. It wasn't a very enjoyable paddle for me because all I was doing was worrying about the awning. We decided at that point that anytime we left the camper for any length of time the awning is going to be retracted. It's one thing if a free standing shelter gets blown over, it's a whole different story if your awning gets ripped off the side of your trailer. Peace.
Old 10-29-2016, 06:09 AM   #9

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Clam for us. When we ordered our 16' scamp the awning was going to be close to a 1000$ and it may give you some shade, but it does not keep one bug out. So we opted out and chose the Clam for about 300$. It takes up some space in the trailer when moving on the road, somewhat of nuisance to get in and out the door. Setup is easy 1 2 3, Stake it down and it is wind safe accept in very high winds. Carl
Old 10-29-2016, 06:54 AM   #10

Colorado
This now begs the question..... What the heck is a clam?
Old 10-29-2016, 07:00 AM   #11

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by indymoxy View Post
A screen room
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0890.jpg   DSCN0884.jpg  

Old 10-29-2016, 07:13 AM   #12

Colorado
I see on the clam. I have a poor quality Coleman brand free standing shade shelter. I think I may replace it with a good Ez Up and save myself $700. Fortunately, camping here in the southwest we have very very few bugs. One of the main reasons I live here after growing up in New England.
Old 10-29-2016, 07:34 AM   #13

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
If you do get an EZ-Up, I recommend the straight-leg version, not a slant leg. One, it allows for side panels to block sun and wind (two things we do have in the southwest!). Two, it can be set up next to the trailer to shelter the door if conditions warrant. Clearance for the door to open can be an issue, depending on how the ground slopes. Small blocks with a hole drilled for the stake to pass through gain the extra 1-2" we sometimes need.
Old 10-29-2016, 08:44 AM   #14

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by indymoxy View Post
In this context, it is a abbreviated name brand for a company that offers a number of outdoor products including a very popular type of screened shelter in various sizes and configurations.

Tags
awning