Awnings anyone? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2016, 08:34 PM   #1

Name: Kristen
Trailer: in the market
Colorado
Awnings anyone?

Trying to figure out what we want on our new scamp. I was suprised at the cost of the awning when I got my price quote. Looking for opinions on is it worth it. We do mostly boondocks, desert camping so I'm leaning towards yes but the $875 price tag made me a bit short of breath.
indymoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 08:49 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
You'll get lots of opinions on this. You might want to do a google site search on "awnings" to pull up old discussions and alternatives to a factory case awning.

For the record we use a 10x10 straight leg First-Up canopy. Advantages: cost, flexibility (can set up anywhere), no holes in shell, the "unencumbered egg" appearance, sheds rain, can handle moderate wind. Disadvantages: heavy, takes up space in trailer, doesn't make a watertight seal when set up next to trailer, no bug protection.

There are many other options, attached and freestanding. Judging by others' comments, it depends in part on your climate (rainy, windy, dry, sunny, buggy) and travel style (touring vs spending a week in one place), as well as budget.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 08:57 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
What Jon said.
Dave & Paula......no awning.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 09:20 PM   #4

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
I've used my awning 3 times in 4 years.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 10:39 PM   #5

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
We ordered no awning. Really like the CLAM as extra room where we can put up wind panels. If we order new 16 Scamp it will have no awning.

It might depend on how you want to use your trailer. Some people find the awning fits their need. If we will be in one place for a few days we take the CLAM. It is large to carry, 6 feet long bag. Worth ever inch.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 05:09 AM   #6

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
I had a Carefree Festiva bag on our Boler 1300 and it was on the for over 20 years so it was cost effective I would say but the ends did ware out so I replaced it with a Dometic Airline and I got to tell you I got it only because I got it new for more then 50% off.
There is no way that this awning will last 20 years or if I leave it on the camper maybe I'll get 5 years out of it.
I know when you need an awning you need it. Who wants to sit in a 1300 for 3 days waiting for the rain to stop.
Gerry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 05:46 AM   #7
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Two poles, a piece of rip stop fabric, some bungee cords, rope, and Velcro. Cost was about $40. No holes and if it gets too windy, the Velcro let's go. Every two years or so I have to replace the Velcro on the trailer. Takes about an hour. Goo gone, a hair dryer, and some acetone. Not pretty but it works.
Attached Images

Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 05:50 AM   #8

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Casita
Connecticut
Awning?

Hey Kristin,
In the end it comes to personal choice. We have an awning on our Spirit Deluxe my wife loves it and if I had to do it again I would vote for the clam or similar shelter. We were camping in Vermont last spring and left to go kayaking on a nearby lake. When we left there wasn't a cloud in the sky by the time we put the kayaks in the water the weather was starting to change. It wasn't a very enjoyable paddle for me because all I was doing was worrying about the awning. We decided at that point that anytime we left the camper for any length of time the awning is going to be retracted. It's one thing if a free standing shelter gets blown over, it's a whole different story if your awning gets ripped off the side of your trailer. Peace.
wwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 06:09 AM   #9

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Clam for us. When we ordered our 16' scamp the awning was going to be close to a 1000$ and it may give you some shade, but it does not keep one bug out. So we opted out and chose the Clam for about 300$. It takes up some space in the trailer when moving on the road, somewhat of nuisance to get in and out the door. Setup is easy 1 2 3, Stake it down and it is wind safe accept in very high winds. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 06:54 AM   #10

Colorado
This now begs the question..... What the heck is a clam?
Old 10-29-2016, 07:00 AM   #11

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by indymoxy View Post
A screen room
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0890.jpg   DSCN0884.jpg  

Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 07:13 AM   #12

Colorado
I see on the clam. I have a poor quality Coleman brand free standing shade shelter. I think I may replace it with a good Ez Up and save myself $700. Fortunately, camping here in the southwest we have very very few bugs. One of the main reasons I live here after growing up in New England.
Old 10-29-2016, 07:34 AM   #13

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
If you do get an EZ-Up, I recommend the straight-leg version, not a slant leg. One, it allows for side panels to block sun and wind (two things we do have in the southwest!). Two, it can be set up next to the trailer to shelter the door if conditions warrant. Clearance for the door to open can be an issue, depending on how the ground slopes. Small blocks with a hole drilled for the stake to pass through gain the extra 1-2" we sometimes need.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 08:44 AM   #14

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by indymoxy View Post
In this context, it is a abbreviated name brand for a company that offers a number of outdoor products including a very popular type of screened shelter in various sizes and configurations.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 11:07 AM   #15

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
A free standing shelter has a purpose, but its no substitute for an awning.
The Fiama which is offered as Scamp OEM, is certainly one of the easiest to operate, and is favored by many who consider it to be the best in the industry.
I like my Catalina which was half the price and had a bit of a learning curve to operate, but alas it is no longer in production.
Unlike a free standing shelter an awning is a true extension of the trailer and provides shade and shelter always at hand taking only moments to extend or stow. Like having an attached covered patio or porch instead of a shed.
We feel exposed without our awning when lounging around our campsite or fixing lunch outside. It provides shelter from rain, sun and even bird droppings.
You will soon forget the expense when you experience the convenience and comfort provided by an attached awning.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0034.JPG  
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 11:17 AM   #16

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I agree with Floyd! I love my awning. I purposely bought and put on the same awning that Casita uses. It's a case awning, easily deployed and stowed by one person. I use it mostly for shade. I HATE schlepping stuff out of the garage, carport and garden shed. EZ-Ups aren't... easy to put up by one person. I have two and really dislike both of them. Don't ask me about totes, I'll tell you I dislike those too! For the same exact reason. Camping should be about fun and not about how long it takes you to pack up to go. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 11:54 AM   #17

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
The Fiamma 45 S awning (10 ft. length) weighs about 51 Lbs., not counting mounting brackets, but those should be negligible (less than 5 Lbs.)

FWIW, I removed mine and like the trailer much better without it. Some folks swear by them, others swear at them. I don't miss mine at all. I use a Keder welt slide in awning if I'm only setting up for a night, otherwise I use my Clam screen room.

Weighting down the stand-alone canopy wouldn't require you to pack all that extra weight. Just stake it down good or bring some empty plastic buckets and fill them with water when you get where you're going.

First pic is the 7 ft. Keder rail I installed. The second and third ones show the 17SD without awning. I think it definitely looks more streamlined and cleaner without it. YMMV

The Fiamma awnings, like pretty much most awnings I've seen, were designed to be mounted to a vertical flush side wall, (like most stick-built trailers,) and were never designed to be mounted to a curved surface, (like most F/G trailers.).

My reason for removing it was not based on wind drag or aerodynamics. I just didn't like the gap between the trailer and the awning. It made little sense to have an awning and still have rainwater run down the side of your trailer, making anything near to the trailer soaking wet. Why bother? I have always thought that the mounting brackets were ill-designed and poorly planned for having them be functionally useful with these awnings for anything except sun shade on rounded fiberglass trailers. Understand that I don't have a problem with the Fiamma awning, just with the useless "afterthought" brackets they choose to mount it with. If you're looking just for sun shade, I suppose that they would suffice for that purpose. I happen to live in the Pacific Northwest where it rains more often than not. (It's not called the "Evergreen State" because of having a dry climate.) What good is an awning in the NW if it doesn't provide rain shelter? I also tried several various "cures" for sealing the gap, as many on here have also done, but then only to find that it created a nasty mess of dirt, tree debris and who-knows-what that collected in the trough created by the sealing material in the gap. Needless to say, it was a major pain to clean, especially around those aforementioned crummy mounting brackets, and I soon grew tired of that ordeal.

As an aside, since it I removed it, I really do like the looks and symmetry of the trailer's lines much better without it. As I mentioned above, I installed a 7 ft Keder slide in rail for a bag awning or a rope and pole awning for very short trips, (or to occasionally use in small campsites where there is little room,) and we normally use our Clam screen tent for times when we are going to be set up for a few days or longer. Incidentally, the slide-in Keder awning doesn't allow rain to run down the side of the trailer because it is mounted directly (and tightly) to the trailer shell. No gaps = no leaks.

As also mentioned earlier, there are two basic factions to the awning debate, those who like them, and those who don't like them. Purely a personal choice, but for me - I like it better without it. YMMV
Attached Thumbnails
Keder Rail2.JPG   Keder Rail1.JPG  

Keder Rail3.JPG  
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 12:14 PM   #18

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Escape seems to be able to incorporate an awning that doesn't have a gap. It's easy in and easy out. See pics.
Even easier now that they are using a power awning that closes itself if it gets windy enough.
Attached Thumbnails
Awning strap 2.jpg   Awning half open.jpg  

Old 10-29-2016, 12:16 PM   #19

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
The Fiamma 45 S awning (10 ft. length) weighs about 51 Lbs., not counting mounting brackets, but those should be negligible (less than 5 Lbs.)

FWIW, I removed mine and like the trailer much better without it. Some folks swear by them, others swear at them. I don't miss mine at all. I use a Keder welt slide in awning if I'm only setting up for a night, otherwise I use my Clam screen room.

Weighting down the stand-alone canopy wouldn't require you to pack all that extra weight. Just stake it down good or bring some empty plastic buckets and fill them with water when you get where you're going.

First pic is the 7 ft. Keder rail I installed. The second and third ones show the 17SD without awning. I think it definitely looks more streamlined and cleaner without it. YMMV

The Fiamma awnings, like pretty much most awnings I've seen, were designed to be mounted to a vertical flush side wall, (like most stick-built trailers,) and were never designed to be mounted to a curved surface, (like most F/G trailers.).

My reason for removing it was not based on wind drag or aerodynamics. I just didn't like the gap between the trailer and the awning. It made little sense to have an awning and still have rainwater run down the side of your trailer, making anything near to the trailer soaking wet. Why bother? I have always thought that the mounting brackets were ill-designed and poorly planned for having them be functionally useful with these awnings for anything except sun shade on rounded fiberglass trailers. Understand that I don't have a problem with the Fiamma awning, just with the useless "afterthought" brackets they choose to mount it with. If you're looking just for sun shade, I suppose that they would suffice for that purpose. I happen to live in the Pacific Northwest where it rains more often than not. (It's not called the "Evergreen State" because of having a dry climate.) What good is an awning in the NW if it doesn't provide rain shelter? I also tried several various "cures" for sealing the gap, as many on here have also done, but then only to find that it created a nasty mess of dirt, tree debris and who-knows-what that collected in the trough created by the sealing material in the gap. Needless to say, it was a major pain to clean, especially around those aforementioned crummy mounting brackets, and I soon grew tired of that ordeal.

As an aside, since it I removed it, I really do like the looks and symmetry of the trailer's lines much better without it. As I mentioned above, I installed a 7 ft Keder slide in rail for a bag awning or a rope and pole awning for very short trips, (or to occasionally use in small campsites where there is little room,) and we normally use our Clam screen tent for times when we are going to be set up for a few days or longer. Incidentally, the slide-in Keder awning doesn't allow rain to run down the side of the trailer because it is mounted directly (and tightly) to the trailer shell. No gaps = no leaks.

As also mentioned earlier, there are two basic factions to the awning debate, those who like them, and those who don't like them. Purely a personal choice, but for me - I like it better without it. YMMV
It cost me 97 cents to solve the gap issue on my factory awning 12 years ago.
A bag awning is a great choice as well, cheaper, no gap, and screen room adaptable, but more complex to deploy and stow and it must be installed.
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 12:23 PM   #20
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
My reason for removing it was not based on wind drag or aerodynamics. I just didn't like the gap between the trailer and the awning. It made little sense to have an awning and still have rainwater run down the side of your trailer, making anything near to the trailer soaking wet. Why bother?
I'm guessing the gap is to give wind an exit and reduce the stress on the screws. That said we've had members install rope awnings with no issue.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning