axle replacement - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-26-2011, 10:00 AM   #1

Name: Alan
Trailer: 2006 Escape 17 B Raven and a Pearl
Alberta
axle replacement

Our new to us surfside project is underway. I had the propane redone and by pros and now we are on to the axle.
the guy we bought it from was not a handy guy, but thought he was, so we have to fix everything he touched ( he "fixed" the propane with teflon and put the screen on the roof vent with 3 in screws pointed straight up for example)
is an axle sonething you can tackle yourself or should i get a pro for that like i did with the propane

maybe a rating of 1 -10

alan in alberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:10 AM   #2

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: alan in alberta... You could talk to Standens in Calgary, I think, and find out what they'd chg. I hate to recomend somewhere where I've never dealt...but it is their business.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 01:20 PM   #3

Alberta
thanks alf

there is one here in edmonton

too but they dont seem to have a shop... just parts.

i called a couple of places and if it doesnt have 8 or more wheels they dont seem interested

i will call standens monday to see if they can reccommend someone local

Old 03-26-2011, 02:09 PM   #4

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Front Bedroom
Why do you think the axle needs to be replaced?
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 06:03 PM   #5

Alberta
i had the rv place check the bearings out and repack them when it went in for the propane service. the previous owner had over tightened the crown nuts so much the back bearings were failing and scored the spindles quite badly.

they said axle needs to be replaced however they do not do the work there. they reccommended a shop here but when i called they didnt seem to interested in such a small job

i am hoping to find a smaller reputable shop that will repair or replace the axle/spindles but most of all one that gives me good advice and a fair deal
Old 03-26-2011, 08:41 PM   #6

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette Deluxe / 1997 Toyota T-100
Good shop

Alan find a place that will warranty their product. I had a Dexter axle replaced and still had tire wear. Checked axle again toed in 1/4 so they replaced with another new axle, will be traveling soon first time on the new axle.
I hope for the best !
D Tharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:56 AM   #7

Alberta
your message seems to be good advice.... i am sure i need a shop now

this project has lots of jobs i can do so i think i will stick to those

it is supposed to get above zero this week so i only have about 6 weeks untill camping starts ....hopefully
Old 03-27-2011, 05:55 PM   #8

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
How is your axle attached?
is it bolted or welded, is it on leaf springs or torsion arms?

I changed the axle on my Trillium by myself, it took about 6 hours start to finish, jack the trailer up, block it with safety stands, take the wheels off, lower the rear spring mount (leaf springs) cut the old u bolts off (don't bother trying to save u-bolts),disconnect brake wires, roll the old axle out, roll the new one in finger tight the u bolts, re hang the springs, connect the brakes, torque everything to spec, re-mount wheels, lower trailer, torque wheels, and drive away.

If you are going to do it yourself, measure everything about 10 times, draw a picture and re-measure, put all the measurements on the drawing and give a copy to whoever you get to build the new axle.
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:43 PM   #9

Axle

My torsion axle was welded on, so had to be cut off, replaced with brackets. If I need an axle again it will be just a bolt on.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:50 AM   #10

Alberta
Thankyou

After reading all your advice i came to the conclusion that i could not change a torsion Axle by myself. ( i would try a leaf spring one though)

Standens put me onto some smaller shops and we are dropping it off today ( i hope the bearings hold out for the trip)

i will ask if they would bolt on the new one just in case it needs to be done again but then again this one has lasted over 30 years

What a great site for me to research on. My next job is the window Cranks and i found some great tips on those
Old 04-04-2011, 11:39 AM   #11

Do the brackets and bolt on, my first replacement had to be redone with another new axle, easy with the bolt on.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:12 AM   #12

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I do hope you guys in Canada know how lucky you are – try finding any sort of small fiberglass trailer in Missouri, even in St. Louis is next to impossible. And then the issue if finding a shop that will do work on them - - - well that’s next to undoable if not impossible.
If I were to travel about 350 to 400 miles south west to the Branson area I bet I’d find a few shops that charge an arm and a leg to do anything but why bother when you can burn money in your fire pit just as well.
I wonder who thought the Midwest doesn't need a reasonable dealer/service for these little babies. Enough to drive a person crazy...
Good luck on your axle swap and we’ll likely meet up down the road.
Mike Hilliard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle