Back Bed or Front Bed? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2011, 07:41 AM   #1

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Back Bed or Front Bed?

All this talk and excitement about the Lil Snoozy has really got me thinking(not always a good thing!).

I have had 5 different FGRV to date and 4 of them have the main sleeping area in the back with windows all around.
The Fiberstream has the bed in front but again has big windows all around.

One of my favorite times in the trailer is upon waking up in the morning when I open the back blinds and window and stare like a Zombie into the scene behind the trailer which is usually peaceful and scenic and private.
It is always quiet as I am an early riser and I will lay there sometimes for an hour just taking it all in.

So in the course of contemplating the Snoozy it occurs to me that this may not really be practical just like in a Compact or any other front bed trailer?

In the Fiberstream I can be annoyed by this and the lack of privacy in a campground as I am sleeping "On the road" as it were and not in the back since they are so far apart!
It really can seem like a huge difference.
I am always bothered by noise and headlights when in the front as opposed to peace and quiet all the way in the back.

Add to this the fact that in most campgrounds where we back in the back just will be more secluded and face away from the campground most of the time.
I also tend to back to the end of the space which would not be too practical if I needed to use the door to a trailer that is in the back.

For some reason I have always considered the Compact trailers layout as cramped and like being in a tunnel but the Snoozy does not seem that way from pictures. This is especially strange when you consider the Snoozy has curved floor and roof around the bed and it should feel less spacious not more?

I guess my question here is how we each feel about the side door,rear bed layout vs. a back door,front bed layout considering the points I have just raised?

To really consider the Snoozy as an option I would have to give this a lot more thought.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:00 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Front bed, front bed, front bed and side door!!!! I back into beautiful places. Why should all that view be wasted during sleep time? If I'm inside (inclement weather, bugs) I want to sit at the dinette and take in the view. I don't want to sit and look at the back of my tug. I know what it looks like! This is why my forever trailer will be an Escape 5th wheel.

YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:22 AM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
I am half way between. LOL

I have the 16' side dinette with front bath.

Bill K
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:09 AM   #4

Name: Tim
Trailer: 2006 Casita
New York
A few years ago I had a Horizon Molded Fiberglass Trailer that I put a lot of time/work into (Donna do you remember). Far as I know its the only one that's been on this forum and maybe the last. There were only 200 or so made back in the 80's. Anyway that had the rear door with a king size bed up front, I loved it but it had one draw back. I had to make the bed everyday, there wasn't any other place to sit. The guy that bought it loved it , as he was around 6'4". But the layout of the Snoozy is nice because it has a couch with a table to sit at. I really like having a bed made up all the time whether its in the front or back.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:12 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wood View Post
A few years ago I had a Horizon Molded Fiberglass Trailer that I put a lot of time/work into (Donna do you remember).

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...hab-35490.html
Old 07-26-2011, 06:25 AM   #6

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Front bed, front bed, front bed and side door!!!! I back into beautiful places. Why should all that view be wasted during sleep time? If I'm inside (inclement weather, bugs) I want to sit at the dinette and take in the view. I don't want to sit and look at the back of my tug. I know what it looks like! This is why my forever trailer will be an Escape 5th wheel.

YMMV
I too dream of the 5th wheel both for the configuration you mention and just the extra space.
I just can't justify losing my truck bed right now though so it is hard to make it work.

So I guess for now I use the bed as I mentioned and have the privacy and view and when I am at the side dinette I am looking out the rear of the trailer at the view too.

The bath is in front where it doesn't interfere or detract from these things.

So how about more thoughts from those who like Tim have the Compact layout with the rear door?

Is it tricky to site the trailer for easy entry and what about sleeping in the front,nearer the road at most campgrounds?

Again I am asking because the Snoozy has me wondering?

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:00 AM   #7

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
This is my vote- the back opens up
Airstream, Inc :: Eddie Bauer Gallery Eddie Bauer Gallery
scroll thru the pic's
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 01:01 PM   #8

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Hi, All

I installed a strung-spring bunk (VERY comfy) up front in my Trillium and always sleep there when traveling alone. Along with situating it for a view from the dinette, I take pains to park the trailer so that there's also something nice to look at in the morning. Then...
Armed with a thermos of coffee made the night before, my great morning luxury is wallowing in my cozy bunk with the door wide open, regardless of the outside weather.
Here's a couple of "Morning Shows" from my last trip:

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01553.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	226.8 KB
ID:	38252
The Columbia river near Northport

Name:	DSC01577.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	315.7 KB
ID:	38260
Bonaparte Lake near Republic

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:03 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
The thing we like best about the Bigfoot 5th is the huge windows around the rear dinette. It is a favorite place to gather when the weather or bugs get bad. We usually camp where the view is of nature not other campsites.

It also has nice windows in the overhead, we each have one now that we have changed it to a twin bed layout. We also have a non opening window to install in the front of the overhead but haven't gotten around to it yet.

We like windows and would never own a trailer that didn't have plenty of them.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:43 PM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I prefer a rear Door since I am used to a truck camper for many years. My folks had a 5th wheel, so i have used that too and would not want to give up my truck bed space for all my junk.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:28 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 13 ft 2010 ('Ladybug') / 2003 Subaru Forester
Registry
Our trailer, in common with many others, has a 4 person dinette / bed at the rear of the trailer.

Finished trailer Feb 16 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

With practice converting from a bed to a table takes just minutes, which gives the advantage of waking up to a wonderful view and being able to enjoy it during the day! Simplicity!

While larger trailers may have beds that can be left up, they lose the advantage of having both a bed and a dining table with a view. Consider the view we had here at Haynes Point in Osoyoos:

Sunset at Haynes Point Site #41 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Brian
Old 07-26-2011, 06:45 PM   #12
Commercial Member

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
My ideal setup would be like this Airstream, rear dinette with lots of windows and front bed with windows.
Now if it could only come in a 20ft molded fiberglass trailer ...
Attached Thumbnails
Picture 5.jpg   Picture 6.jpg  

brian m. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:25 PM   #13

Name: Tim
Trailer: 2006 Casita
New York
Donna, Thanks that's the one.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Van Snell View Post
Consider the view we had here at Haynes Point in Osoyoos:

Sunset at Haynes Point Site #41 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Brian
One picture made me more determined than ever to eventually own a front bed egg!

Thanks for sharing Brian
Old 07-26-2011, 07:43 PM   #15

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Actually, Brian V has another advantage, He can pick up the front hitch and swing his trailer around any view he wants. My wife and i had the same size trailer. We would pick up the front by hand (if loaded right) and angle the dinette view right at the beautiful ocean.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:09 PM   #16

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Red face I like sleeping "up front"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
One of my favorite times in the trailer is upon waking up in the morning when I open the back blinds and window and stare like a Zombie into the scene behind the trailer which is usually peaceful and scenic and private.

In the Fiberstream I can be annoyed by this and the lack of privacy in a campground as I am sleeping "On the road" as it were and not in the back since they are so far apart!
It really can seem like a huge difference.
I am always bothered by noise and headlights when in the front as opposed to peace and quiet all the way in the back.

Add to this the fact that in most campgrounds where we back in the back just will be more secluded and face away from the campground most of the time.
I'm not sure where I want to go with this...

Do you ask to get a spot on the perimeter of the campground? I find that more often than not I am in the middle of a campground with other campers on all 4 sides. I'm also not "sleeping on the road" as the Honda is usually up there close to the street. Having a front bed actually places it toward the middle of the campsite. Having 5% Limo Dark tint + window shades + curtains affords Robert and I 3 layers of privacy in bed.

I am also a zombie 1st thing in the morning. We set up the Coleman stove-top drip coffeemaker just before retiring for the night. It is my job to light the burner under it as I make my way to the little private room at the rear of our Fiber Stream.

Name:	000_0995.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	416.3 KB
ID:	38278
I can sit there looking out it's window because Robert prefers to keep the front shades and curtains closed until much later in the morning. The bonus is the fully prepared commuter-mug of light and sweet coffee thrust thru the door as I contemplate my navel amongst other things.