Back from GA Mountains BRRRRRR - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-01-2014, 10:10 AM   #1

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Back from GA Mountains BRRRRRR

Well we had an amazing albeit COLD Spring Break at Vogel SP near Blairsville, Ga. We had snow, rain and temps in the teens. We were snug as a bug in the Scamp with just a ceramic heater. We did manage to sit by the fire for all but 2 nights at least and do a couple of hiking trails as well as go to the highest peak in GA. The bath houses were heated and had propane for hot water so showers were hot! The only issue I have is whenever I'm under trees and it rains the big drops from the trees make a constant Thunk, Thunk, Thunk, noise on the roof vent cover above my head so I cant sleep! I went 2 days with barely any sleep then had to drive the 600 miles home. Never slept so good in a truck stop as this trip home, lol. Trying to decide what I could cover the roof vent with during rain to keep it quiet. A tarp maybe?? Looking for suggestions.

Anyway, the new2me tow was fantastic. Had more power than my Sienna even for getting up those mountains but boy do I miss the space! I'm loving the hitch clearance though for sharp entries into gas stations etc.

Okay, I have the Scamp 13 Deluxe and was loaded with chairs, 2 boxes of fire starter logs, ice chest full of food and ice, case of water, charcoal, extra blankets, suitcases etc etc so my Scamp has to weigh close to 2000 lbs wouldn't you think??? I tried to weigh it at 2 different truck stops and it wouldn't register. They said the minimum was 1500 lbs but my Scamp has to weigh that unloaded much less loaded the way we were wouldn't you think????
Old 04-01-2014, 10:24 AM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Melissa, I would think from what you described that it would have weighed in on the axle with 1500lbs but you never know. Where you trying to weigh it while still attached to the vehicle? If thats the case there is another 200 to 300lbs on the tongue which the scale would not recognize which would have put your total weight up to 1700/1800lbs. I have also found that some of the large truck highway type scales round up or down by as much as to the nearest 100lbs so for example the axle only weighed in at 1445lbs the scale rounded it down to 1400lbs.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:49 AM   #3

Name: Sean
Trailer: 1984 Uhaul CT 13
Georgia
Registry
I love Vogel. It's beautiful up there; a real gem. Sorry the weather was so cool. I'm about 2hrs southeast of Vogel and we were cold this weekend too but expecting to hit 80F today. I guess straight from winter to summer.
My U-haul Camper Blog
knighth001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:31 AM   #4

Yes Carol, I left the trailer connected to my tow but pulled it off the scales leaving only the trailer axle on the scale. I thought surely my axle weight would have been at least 1500lb esp with the firewood, ice chest etc in there so maybe they rounded it down like you mentioned and that's why it wouldn't register. On my next trip I will try again and if they aren't busy will disconnect the trailer from my tow.

That's ok Sean. It was a nice break from the near 90s temp we were having here in FL I left behind and to which I have returned to. Just wanted to get a little more hiking in but the change was refreshing. We actually hiked while it was snowing which was beautiful and the kids loved! The rain however kept us inside the Scamp
We too don't get a Spring just straight into hot temps. We will likely return in the summer to Vogel to enjoy the refreshing lake and paddle boats!
Old 04-01-2014, 12:16 PM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
Yes Carol, I left the trailer connected to my tow but pulled it off the scales leaving only the trailer axle on the scale. I thought surely my axle weight would have been at least 1500lb esp with the firewood, ice chest etc in there so maybe they rounded it down like you mentioned and that's why it wouldn't register. !
Did you have these items stored in the trailer near the front of the trailer? If so most of their weight may have been on the tongue on the trailer rather than the axle.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:30 PM   #6

I evenly distributed them in the floorspace between the table and the front bunks.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:31 PM   #7

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We have camped at Amicalola Falls SP near Dawsonville GA in February on two occasions .It was a little cool but the views are fantastic and we had the campgrounds to ourselves both times
I have had my trailer weighed several times at various scales and the weights varied by a considerable margin .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:47 PM   #8

Name: Sean
Trailer: 1984 Uhaul CT 13
Georgia
Registry
Amicalola is also very nice and close to the start of the AT. Did you get to visit the Len Foote Hike Inn while you were there? Definitely a must see if you're up for a bit of a hike (5 miles in). It's a pretty impressive display of conservancy and sustainability.

http://hike-inn.com/
My U-haul Camper Blog
knighth001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 04:27 PM   #9

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16ft
Alabama
I put Reflex bubble insulation in my escape hatch cover, it helps but blocks sun light too. Good for me... I work nights.
Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:51 PM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
BUT, did you have FUN.. did you make a MEMORY?

Good for you! Next time will even be BETTER!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:53 AM   #11

Oh yes we definitely had fun and made lots of memories!! It was a real treat for us Fl folks to see snow. The kids had a snowball fight, made snow angels and we even hiked in it. My girls have each only seen snow once in their life and my youngest was so little she barely remembers it. The trip was so refreshing and rejuvenating which is exactly what we needed to push through these last 7 weeks of school as everybody is burned out. Cant wait to go again!
Old 04-02-2014, 10:29 AM   #12

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
If your children like snow then come to Northwest Minnesota ,they got 17' on Monday or Northern Wisconsin. We are supposed to get 6" to 8" on Thursday of this week.
They are still driving on the lakes . Ice is 30" thick and solid. Spring is a ways off
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 03:34 PM   #13

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
If they haven't seen a tornado, we have suggestions
of tornadoes this week. I just dragged out the ozonator
and put it in our underground shelter to kill unwelcome
guests and kill any possibility of mold creatures...........LOL
We have room for a few more........
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote