Back from Lil Snoozy with Eye Candy!! - Page 14 - Fiberglass RV

Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 11:07 PM   #183

Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
Roger, because the axle is farther back and the heavier kitchen and bath are right over the axle the tongue weight is pretty light at around 250lbs. Also, they plan to use Fiberglass Propane Tanks which are lighter yet.

Old 04-16-2011, 07:00 AM   #184

Name: Bob
Trailer: 19' Scamp 5th Wheel
Somewhere USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Perhaps that was the thinking with the design of the Oxygen. A 20 foot all molded trailer that's tapered front AND back.
It's hard to say what motivates manufacturers with their designs. The Oxygen has excellent hind quarters, aerodynamically speaking.

This new trailer was called aerodynamic several times in this thread which is unfortunate. The truth is just about every other egg has a lower drag coefficient because of generous radii at the rear top and sides. Bullets plow a bigger and dirty wake. Larger frontal area (max cross section) hurts too.

In case my T@B reference was misunderstood their excessive roof tapering is an example of what not to do. If the goal is looks - fine. Aerodynamically edge vortices impose a kinetic energy tax on the tow vehicle.

As for tongue weight an advantage of outrigger wheels and fenders is they could be moved. Top bolt the axle to the frame and provide a pattern of holes to allow some tunability. If a user changes the layout (think toy hauler) just adjust the axle location to rebalance. Simple.

Old 04-16-2011, 05:31 PM   #185

Name: Ken
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
US
I'm with Reace on a trailer being a Toy not a tool.

A number of escape owners have reported they like the axle farther back for towing ease as opposed to the other brands that are farther forward. A number of escape folks say they didn't bother with a a WDH hitch anymore. I will be interesting to hear if the snoozy has the same towing benefit.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:56 PM   #186

Name: Rick
Trailer: 1981 Scamp "Huevo Ranchero"
Virginia
That's beautiful! Coming in late to the conversation but--What's the brand? Sounds like they're just starting out. Also, price, if I may ask?
Old 04-16-2011, 08:04 PM   #187

Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
The brand in this thread is LiL Snoozy and the price is $13,900 with A/C, fridge, water heater, furance, awning, shower/cassette toilet etc. These are pix of their prototype and ours will be ready in June.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:31 AM   #188

Name: Kip
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17' SD Deluxe, Towed by '09 Honda Ridgeline.
Georgia
The tune just won't go away, This ought to nag ya all day.

~Wake Up Little Susie~ Everly Brothers

Kip
Old 04-18-2011, 08:51 AM   #189

US
i forgot about that song, now it's locked in my brain too, no....
Old 04-18-2011, 10:17 AM   #190

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamperBob View Post
It's hard to say what motivates manufacturers with their designs. The Oxygen has excellent hind quarters, aerodynamically speaking.

This new trailer was called aerodynamic several times in this thread which is unfortunate. The truth is just about every other egg has a lower drag coefficient because of generous radii at the rear top and sides. Bullets plow a bigger and dirty wake. Larger frontal area (max cross section) hurts too.

In case my T@B reference was misunderstood their excessive roof tapering is an example of what not to do. If the goal is looks - fine. Aerodynamically edge vortices impose a kinetic energy tax on the tow vehicle.

As for tongue weight an advantage of outrigger wheels and fenders is they could be moved. Top bolt the axle to the frame and provide a pattern of holes to allow some tunability. If a user changes the layout (think toy hauler) just adjust the axle location to rebalance. Simple.
FWIW: According to something I saw recently,the early Submarines had pointed bows and somewhat sharp features along the sides. The new nuculear subs have a much larger rounded bow, a more tapered stern, and is said to be a more efficient design. Noticed also, on new ships in general, that large nose cone attached in front of the sharper bow.

Would the same principles apply to something moving through air?

Kip
Old 04-18-2011, 12:30 PM   #191

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip in Ga.

FWIW: According to something I saw recently,the early Submarines had pointed bows and somewhat sharp features along the sides. The new nuculear subs have a much larger rounded bow, a more tapered stern, and is said to be a more efficient design. Noticed also, on new ships in general, that large nose cone attached in front of the sharper bow.

Would the same principles apply to something moving through air?

Kip
Kip, look up photos of competitive super-efficient cars, such as solar cars. You'll notice that most are blunt but rounded in the front and taper to a point in the rear. This is the opposite of what most people think of as aerodynamic... But that's what works!
Old 04-18-2011, 02:06 PM   #192

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
I think that the shape of the Lil Snoozy would be more aerodynamically efficient going backwards! A truncated teardrop (Kamm back) would be the most efficient and practical:

Kammback - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:32 PM   #193

Trailer: 1980 Burro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip in Ga. View Post
FWIW: The new nuculear subs have a much larger rounded bow, a more tapered stern, and is said to be a more efficient design. Noticed also, on new ships in general, that large nose cone attached in front of the sharper bow.
Kip
I don't know much about ships, so I could be wrong, but I think the reason for the large nose cone is for the sonar inside.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:44 AM   #194

Name: Bob
Trailer: 19' Scamp 5th Wheel
Somewhere USA
Kip, flow in air and water use the same math with different constants. There is a critical speed that determines which rules apply. RVs operate in the super-critical flow regime. Just don't extrapolate across that boundary and it's all good.

The state of the art is mcbrew's nose (blunt but rounded) and Roger's tail (truncated Kammback). For an RV the last thing I'd do is waste interior space due to excessive exterior rounding/tapering that provides little to no functional advantage.

Anecdote: my Scamp toy hauler mod didn't hurt tow MPG at all. The rear cargo door frame protrusion laid within the dead water zone so no harm there. The deleted roof vent and closed-off fridge louvers reduced the overall drag coefficient a little. My log book showed tank averages of 18 +/- 2 mpg over 16,500 miles and 18 months through good weather and foul behind the same (often loaded) 4WD V8 pickup EPA rated 14 city, 17 highway (with 22 being my record high bobtailing). It's hard to argue with those numbers. Style is cool but obeying good science pays dividends at the pump.

Sorry for bending the Snoozy thread but calling the prototype aerodynamic within the egg community is wrong and spreads misinformation. I'm sure we don't really want to do that.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:19 AM   #195

Georgia
Interesting stuff, thanks guys!

After looking at the link and pictures, it makes me wonder if a PU truck's bed "camper shell" sloped from the cab to the tail gate would make any difference in fuel mileage when not towing!

Hopefully Lil'Snoozy will perform well, as there seems to have been a lot of thought gone into its design.

It appears that the rear of the Snoozy has rounded corners and top which should help with wind drag. Actually there are few if any corners or flat areas on the exterior.

They will likely be on the road soon. Time will tell!

Kip
Old 04-19-2011, 09:29 AM   #196

US
Semantics are fun to dance to also
YouTube - Let's call the whole thing off

Tags
lil snoozy