Back from Lil Snoozy with Eye Candy!! - Page 9 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 09:55 AM   #161

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
yeah that's true, but to me it only appears to be a matter of one minute or two out of a camping weekend. Some folks take the time to mess with blue totes and some don't. popup truck camper folks love the cassette at the rv.net forum.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:06 PM   #162

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
I wonder if the Lil Snoozy will have a rock guard on the lower front?
Old 04-09-2011, 10:48 AM   #163

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Registry
Re: solids ... I have yet to use my black water tank but have been reading and watching (youtube) to learn how to better deal with this part of camping! didn't see it mentioned here among all of the good advice, but somewhere i read a fantastic tip for helping the cleaning process. this is from memory so it might not be spot on ... one camper, at the end of his trip, would after dumping the tank, throw the leftover ice from his cooler into the black tank. its water but in solid form and would really help to gently scrub the tank walls. then down the road he would stop again and dump one again to leave his tank really clean. an extra step, but seems it might leave you with a cleaner tank. i plan to give it try on our next outing ... suppose it would even be worth buying bag of ice if it means you can skip the dragging of a hose inside and filling up, etc.

Melissa - since you like Firefly how about naming it "Serenity" ???
Old 04-09-2011, 11:15 AM   #164

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Serenity! I LOVE IT, PAUL!!!! For those who are not firefly fans it is a perfect name and those who know the show will smile. It's perfect! Here is the official definition of Serenity:

se·ren·i·ty/səˈrenitē/Noun
1. The state of being calm, peaceful, and untroubled: "an oasis of serenity".
Old 04-10-2011, 08:18 AM   #165

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All...I don't mean to hijack the thread...But on the subject of trailer "Flushing" DO NOT... I REPEAT...Do NOT pull the black water valve with just a 5gal. pail under the opened drain!!! It's darn near impossible to leap backwards from a crouched down position. Don't ask me how I know this to be true...but it is!!! I'll just say that when Flying J started to chg. ten bucks I got cheap and tried a home remedy.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 04-10-2011, 10:11 AM   #166

Name: Nicholas
Trailer: LiL Snoozy
South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reace View Post
Congradulations Nicholas on your new venture! I can truly appreciate the blood, sweat and tears you are putting in to get this off the ground and wish you all the success to get things rolling! There is certainly no better place to get things started than on this forum and the wealth of information will keep you on your toes! I think I read earlier that the prototype belongs to you...I hope you leave enough time in your busy schedule to actually use it...funny how quickly it can become a tool rather than its intended use as a toy!

All the best

Reace
Thank you Reace,
Coming from a man of your experience, I am deeply grateful! You build a beautiful camper, unfortunately I have never seen one in person. From what I have read, from your website and other people, your RV's are well designed and are built to a much higher standard than the majority of others. In the last few months I have realized just how difficult that really is.
You are right about this forum, the members on here have an amazing knowledge base and are not afraid to voice their opinions. One of the best parts about this forum is how it is more like a family than any other I have seen. People look out for one another, and that's what we all need to do in this old world.
My father and I have been tinkering with an idea for some time now. It seems that the fiberglass community is a close "family". We are member's of an elite group of RV'ers that actually care about having a good quality rig. Not a riveted, tin sided, coke can with a bed. As a result of the small community, it seems that locating a repair facility (especially one capable of fiberglass work) could be difficult. The idea we have been throwing around is an alliance of sorts. If Escape has a customer in (or travailing though) this area and they have an issue, we would be more than willing to do the repair work. We would also extent that same offer to Casita, Scamp, and other fiberglass owners. Granted we are competitors, but the name of the game here is to enjoy camping and keep our customers happy right?
Thank you again Reace!
Nicholas Smoak
Old 04-10-2011, 04:16 PM   #167

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
nicholas----by you making the offer that you have, to provide fiberglass repair to a competitor's rig if needed---is exactly what i have come to love about this forum---it truly IS a family!
good on ya'

sure wished i had known about your lil snoozy while we were in south carolina last week....would have ventured over for a visit!
good luck to you.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:09 PM   #168

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Interesting point a truck camper forum guy mentions I have not thought about,

"I like the cassette. I like it because I can winterize the rest of the camper, but use the toilet in warm comfort while hunting or ski/ camping in the winter. I think this is the biggest advantage."

Does anyone know if the frame is steel or ALU? I read it was Galvanized but must have overlooked the material, thanks in advance.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:17 PM   #169

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Those of us with "flushies" can use them in the freezing temps too. A jug of water to flush and some antifreeze in the tank to keep the valve from freezing. No big deal.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:07 PM   #170

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post

"I like the cassette. I like it because I can winterize the rest of the camper, but use the toilet in warm comfort while hunting or ski/ camping in the winter. I think this is the biggest advantage."

Does anyone know if the frame is steel or ALU? I read it was Galvanized but must have overlooked the material, thanks in advance.
Post#130 I mentioned "Winter use" as a positive note. I had a cassette in my T@da and used it year round.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:17 PM   #171

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Those of us with "flushies" can use them in the freezing temps too. A jug of water to flush and some antifreeze in the tank to keep the valve from freezing. No big deal.
Your valve, water and contents will freeze in a conventional setup unless you have heat pads on the black tank and valves. The cassette will not, I've used the cassette in single digits without any issues. There are no exposed drain lines. Try dumping your black when it is 5 degrees outside. With the cassette you empty in a heated restroom toilet. With a cassette you fill the supply with antifreeze, I've used windshield antifreeze. The trailer heat keeps the bathroom and the toilet warm.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:50 PM   #172

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Yes, Ken. The trailer is Galvanized Steel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post

Old 04-12-2011, 05:08 PM   #173

Name: Don
Trailer: Still deciding, but changing my mind from the Casita FD to the Lil Snoozy!
Texas
Or just stay in south Texas, southern California or Florida when the weather gets cold everywhere else!! That will solve most problems with freezing pipes. That's my plan!

I'm just waiting for the right time.

D*
Old 04-12-2011, 08:10 PM   #174

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Your valve, water and contents will freeze in a conventional setup unless you have heat pads on the black tank and valves.
Not true. The black tank is inside the trailer in most of the trailers. The toilet sits on top of it. And the antifreeze takes care of the valves. Granted I haven't camped in 5 degree weather, but have camped when it's below freezing. I don't hookup to water and keep the trailer "winterized." The jug of water to flush the toilet sits in the bathroom. Hasn't frozen yet!
Attached Thumbnails
ScampToilet.jpg  
Old 04-13-2011, 09:14 PM   #175

Name: Peter
Trailer: 1971 Amerigo
Colorado
Ok, I'm sorry to interrupt this stimulating conversation about toilets but I have a real problem.
Wake Up Little Susie has been stuck in my head for well over a week now. I've tried everything I can think of including a failed attempt to replace it with I've Got a Brand New Pair of Roller Skates...which usually works.

Help!!
Old 04-13-2011, 09:31 PM   #176

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Peter, try "it's a small world after all." That tune should knock everything else out of your head.

Melissa, when you get your new trailer, please track your gas mileage and speed, and let us know what you get. I'm especially interested to see what this thing can do aerodynamically as far as fuel savings. I sort of wish Nicholas had tapered the back instead of (or in addition to) the front, as the teardrop rear slope seems to be very efficient... Buckminster Fuller's Dymaxion car comes to mind.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:54 AM   #177

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Peter, try "it's a small world after all." That tune should knock everything else out of your head.

Melissa, when you get your new trailer, please track your gas mileage and speed, and let us know what you get. I'm especially interested to see what this thing can do aerodynamically as far as fuel savings. I sort of wish Nicholas had tapered the back instead of (or in addition to) the front, as the teardrop rear slope seems to be very efficient... Buckminster Fuller's Dymaxion car comes to mind.
Mike, you stole my thunder. What I have learned from aerodynamics research is that rounding the front but leaving the back flat nets only a small improvement . Rounding only the back instead provides a several-fold gain. Tapering the back but not too quickly (ala T@B et al) is the best. Boats that glide well take wisdom from fish tails (not tales).

Nicholas, turn the shell 180 on the trailer and test pull that with a ScanGauge. Seriously!
Old 04-14-2011, 01:20 PM   #178

Perhaps that was the thinking with the design of the Oxygen. A 20 foot all molded trailer that's tapered front AND back.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:42 PM   #179

Name: Nicholas
Trailer: LiL Snoozy
South Carolina
Mike and KamperBob,
Funny enough, the original design for the LiL Snoozy was a tear drop. We reversed it early on because, though it works very well on the smaller T@B's, with the larger size of the Snoozy, there simply wasn't enough "wiggle" room for floor plan changes. The flatter rear section allows for the rear door, and the rear door allows us a tremendous amount of space.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:19 PM   #180

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
My vote would be to name your TT: DELTA FLYER

FSD: Starfleet Shuttlecraft - Delta Flyer

The original Delta Flyer was lost in battle, so you may want to consider: "DELTA FLYER II" Delta Flyer II - Memory Alpha, the Star Trek Wiki
Which was designed with increased comfort in mind.

[QUOTE=Donna D.;242899]Here's all the shuttle names from the TNG Star Trek series, I scooped from here: TNG Shuttlecrafts - Star Trek™ Fansite

Argo
Campbell
Chaffee-Defiant
Cochrane
Copernicus
Cousteau
Curie
D'Alison
Dawkins
Delta Flyer
Delta Flyer II
Drake