Back from TN! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2012, 11:26 AM   #1

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Back from TN!

Had a fabulous trip other than the fabrication guy from my hitch shop never got back to me before we left to relocate my power plug. Somewhere in GA we hit a really bad set of railroad tracks and broke the plug receptacle. At least we were able to wire tire it back together enough to finish the trip and e'thing still worked. So now I have to have the plug replaced and then have the Fab guy re-locate it. Apparantly Florida Law does not allow for any modifications to a hitch install other than factory specs which is why the Fab Guy has to do it. That plug survived all the way from FL to Tx to WY and back last summer but must have wacked it just right this time. I knew it was only a matter of time as it scrapes going into gas stations etc.

The route I chose from FL to TN was awesome! The only Interstate travel was I-65 up Alabama and a little ways into TN where we picked up US 7 all the way to Clarksville, TN. Hubby didnt like the 2 lane road esp since it was raining but it was fine with me and perfectly smooth. We spent the night in Clanton, AL just off I-65 at a new KOA at the back of the "Dandy RV" dealership. Very nice folks and impeccably clean and maintained. I made sure to let them know how much we appreciate level sites as it eliminates having to unhook for the night. The manager said the owner is in his 70's and is obsessed with keeping the sites level. He is on his tractor nearly daily leveling them. On the return trip we stayed at Lakepoint Resort (it a State Park) in Eufaula, AL also clean and well maintained. We went to our usual beautiful COE campground but found it closed. We stopped at the Dollar General down the street and they said all the COE parks in the area were closed since the winter had been so cold. I looked on the website when I got home and no mention of this and there were no signs anywhere so I hope this is the case and not a victim of the federal budget closing them. We called Lakepoint not expecting to get an answer since it's now 9:00 (the COE gates didnt close till 10pm) but I did get an answer and they gave us the gate code to get in. The gate phone is answered 24 hrs a day so that is an option no matter how late you arrive. Do NOT go to Kelly's RV Park which is listed as a very nice place in Trailer Life. It is a typical trailer park in the South, NOT an RV Park and has no bath facilities etc yet still cost $20 a night. I'm going to contact Trailer Life and ask what on earth were they thinking. This place has a Fireworks stand right out front so had some interesting inebriated folks loitering about to say the least. Even my 6 ft 275 lb hubby wanted out of there quickly, lol.

Our ceramic heater on low kept us nice and toasty even down into the 20's at night with frost in the mornings. Of course with 3 of us in the large bed and one on the floor we did have some nice body heat going. Once we arrived in TN the kids slept in the house so me and Hubby had the trailer and it was still toasty with just the ceramic heater on low. The T@b must have some good insulation. We woke up more than once to the interior temp being 80+ once the sun came out so had to open a window and shut the heat off. No matter how warm it was inside the floor was always freezing though. Need to get a rug for sure.

Hubby was relieved and pleased with just how well my Sienna handled Tab-itha. I think he thought I may have been exaggerating that fact in order to make him feel better, lol. Up the small hills my RPMs never got above 2800 (I also wasnt trying to hold 60 mph up them either as I could watch my gas gauge going down if I did, lol) and we usually topped them at about 50 mph traveling 60 the rest of the time. Around Birmingham on the Interstate we traveled 65 mph just to avoid being a hazzard and no change in the trailer's behavior. The BAL Leveler was awesome for my nephew's slanted driveway. All the houses are built on hills there which is crazy condsidering their winter weather! Of course one person got sick and then spread it to all 14 of us so I'm sitting here with hot tea and soup. We're expecting a cold front here with temps down to 32 tonight and 29 tomorrow night so I guess we brought the weather with is. I'm just glad we have another week for us all to get better before school starts back up. Hubby went back to work last night but he just has a residual cough is all. Oh, the porta potti was a life saver with 14 people and 2 bathrooms! Also at night when I was not stepping out of my warm trailer to walk to the house as we were actually in the neighbor's driveway since they were deployed and said it was ok. Definately have to work on getting that bunk built that goes across the foot of the bed for my oldest. When she is on the floor we cant use the porta potti and stepped on her trying to get out the door to use the bath house.

Now I'm trying to get Ressies for Sebring with no luck so far so we'll see if I make it or not.

Happy New Year E'body!
Old 01-02-2012, 05:33 PM   #2

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Hey

Glad you had a good time and the T@B survived too!

I just let go of Site 81 at Sebring as I was worried the Casita might not go in so well but I would bet the T@B would have no trouble at all with that one,take a look it is a nice location really.

According to all the Rangers I talked to trying to understand the site,if you can get it on there you can use it.

Worth trying at least?

Hope to see you (and the trailer too of course) soon.

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:05 PM   #3

Thanks, Ed! I just took your site #81. I'm sure we can push/pull the T@b into whatever position is required. We'll only be there Fri-Sun. Did you check the website several times a day every day to find your new spot? I'd think another one would open up between now and next month but dont know how often/when to look. Is there a particular time of day when sites cancelled come available again?
Old 01-02-2012, 08:33 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
Thanks, Ed! I just took your site #81. I'm sure we can push/pull the T@b into whatever position is required. We'll only be there Fri-Sun. Did you check the website several times a day every day to find your new spot? I'd think another one would open up between now and next month but dont know how often/when to look. Is there a particular time of day when sites cancelled come available again?
We're looking forward to meeting you at Sebring, we're on #77
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:56 PM   #5

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Melissa
Yeah I just kept checking whenever I thought about it and then....Voila!
I think they open up when someone else cancels a reservation so I imagine it can happen at anytime.
I looked after I switched and 81 became available right after I did it so I don't think they just do it once a day but they must update as things change.

I think it will be no problem at all getting the T@B in any way it needs to go.
I will never forget when I first brought it home and took it off the truck it tried to escape before I engaged the brake! As you know it is very easy to move.

Is it going to be just you or the whole family?
I am sure the girls will be happy to give me a tour of all the new things you have done.

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:17 AM   #6

Ya, it will be me and the girls as Hubby works weekends.

LOL, ya, the T@b has tried to pull a Houdini on us once too. Gotta be quick with the brake.

Unfortunately with ongoing orthodontics including my youngest just having had oral surgery to remove an extra tooth which was impacted we have not been able to do anything to Tabitha so she is still stock as delivered. Since the fridge died that is a higher priority before our summer trip to WY this year than decorating. So I'll continue to collect fabric samples, save websites etc until the day we can turn her into our little beach bungalo. We are having so much fun with her none the less.

I'll keep checking the Highlands Hammock State Park website but from what Floyd said we should be good. I like the idea of being near e'body and the bath house, lol.

Can't wait! Gotta take advantage of our nice weather before the heat returns.