Backing up a trailer - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-11-2009, 01:00 PM   #21

Trailer: 2008 19 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe 5th Wheel
No, but I think they will get over it. <G>

Quote:
Have the neighbors forgiven you for driving through their front and back fences to get to your RV pad yet?
Alan Weinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 05:34 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Registry
Being a software developer, I have to wonder why no one has developed a 'Backing Trailer' video game (like Flight Simulator - which is even used by Pilots!). I've seen a couple one's that were too simplistic to be really used for training.

I would think that there would be a niche market - not only us but the big stickies, and perhaps even commercial haulers.
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:01 PM   #23

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Nothing to add about technique -- it's been pretty well covered by others far better than I could ever hope to be. Mine is about karma, and inner piece ---

so when as a newby you are on your 12th try backing this [at]%$*&!?++^ thing that we never should have bought in the first place, and the lawn chair crowd of gawkers looks like a Springstein concert, just remember -- you ARE where they once WERE. Hmmmmmmm Hmmmmmmm
Ed Felker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:03 PM   #24

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
You've got that right Ed! Always make certain you have a beverage of your choice cooled down properly. Because the first few times, when you're finally parked... you're going to want to wet your whistle... even if it's just a cola or Dr. Pepper
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:07 PM   #25

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
Attachment 18365

When backing up, instead of holding the wheel at the top, place your hand at the 6 o'clock position.This way the trailer will turn left when the wheel is turned to the left and right when you steer right.
Anyone else have a good tip?
This is why I am known as the King of pull throughs. I won a gold metal in Bisby last year!

Arghhhhhhhhhhh!
ronsmith100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:36 AM   #26

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I recall seeing folks in lawn chairs with beer coolers hanging around the popular launch ramps in Florida to watch the show -- Backing and launching all in one place.

It sometimes wasn't pretty to watch when late in afternoon, with family coming in hot and tired and wishing maybe they hadn't had the last beer or three. Dad gets to back trailer down ramp alone because wife has wisely taken complaining kids out of swearing range of the docks and ramps...
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:41 AM   #27

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Kevin:

One of the best backing tips I've ever received re; backing a trailer (beyond your hands on the bottom of the steering wheel) was to approach the entrance to your camp site from the LEFT side of the road (assuming your site is on the left), then when your trailer reaches the entrance to the site turn sharply back to the RIGHT side of the road. Drive forward slowly on the right side watching the left rear of the trailer and you'll see that the back end of the trailer will be pointing somewhat toward the site entrance...this provides just a little jump start in the actual backup/turning process. Obviously if the camp site is on the RIGHT side of the road just reverse the above instructions. Just a little practice is all this takes and you can SEE what's happening. I received this tip from my nephew who is an interstate big rig truck driver.

Russell
william russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:59 AM   #28

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
I used two small plastic cones to mark where I want the wheels to be with one set forward of the wheel marker to give me a guide line. It is of course much easier on the left hand entry but works well either way.
Alan #1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:12 AM   #29

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
What William is saying is correct and is definitely key to backing into a site, especially if it is a tighter turn. I would like to add one little thing to it. After keeping to the left as you pass the entrance, and turning hard to the right as the front of the trailer passes it, THEN also cut hard to the left again just before you run out of room. What this does is kicks the back end of the trailer over to the left, aiming it straighter into the entrance, and leaving you with the trailer angled to the left of the rear of the vehicle.

I tried to draw a diagram for those that can't follow my babbling. Not a great drawing, but I hope it helps give the right idea. The first 5 steps are all forward to the stop, the last one actually reversing.

Trailer_Reversing.pdf
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:19 AM   #30

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
And, HERE is a fun way to practice your reversing skills while sitting at your computer.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote