Bad start for vacation - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-25-2013, 04:38 PM   #1

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16ft
Alabama
Bad start for vacation

I thought I'd vent over my vacation that started with a Scuba trip in Fl. 26 Dec. As I was leaving I got a call to see if I could help out some guy that got stuck hunting, went and pulled him out. Then I went to change out one of my Propane tanks for a spare off pontoon boat. (2:00 PM) The wind blown the cover over and knocked the tank off the deck flipping top down on my left great toe cutting it off, so now vacation, dive trip wasted. Ambulance ride sew toe back on 2 pins in toe a lot of stitches. leave Hosp. 9:00-10:00 Pm. Dr. directions keep clean and dry and elevated come back in week for check up..While I was laid up over at a co workers house that was worried about me being alone in RV. He moved my TV and RV but was unable to hook up power or start fridg. on propane??? he has a RV even. fridg. defrosted 12 LBS meat bad. freezer same. a week later back in RV, stuck at a 20.00 a day RV park without internet. rain for a week straight..next Dr visit Dr. cleaned dead tissue from toe without any numbing for me, almost put a few holes in the wall from that.. Dr. directions for me to due the same over the next week before next appt. Grand total spent over $1500 on trip in prep. that started Feb. 2012, “bus ride, hospital cost $2500 so far. heck of a vacation and now not cleared to go back to work yet. glad I cashed out my Ret. investment account in Nov and moved to a savings account.
Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:15 PM   #2

Name: Ginny
Trailer: Escape
Alaska
Registry
Ouch! So sorry you got off to such a terrible (and painful) start. Maybe you've had all your bad luck for the year and the rest will be golden!
GingerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:58 PM   #3

Alabama
I hope.. every time I try to post or any thing Its double spacing and large type setting my words
Old 01-25-2013, 08:41 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I see your post Darrell, it looks just fine... maybe a Mod helped you out

Whatever, I read your post and my toes curled up. For every bump in the road we experience, it leads us to something new to experience. It's how we deal with it that defines our character.

NOW, get out and camp when you can!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:20 PM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
OUCH! sorry to hear! Hope you heal up well and are able to make up for the lost dive in the not to distant future.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:06 PM   #6

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
Man that really stinks!
kirkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:19 PM   #7

Name: Sue and Greg
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 foot and a 2015 Casita Spitit Deluxe 17 ft.
Washington
Registry
Jeesh! You've used up all the bad luck for your next twenty years! When healed - you can camp fear free. Sorry it all hit at once!
Sue and Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:40 PM   #8

Alabama
Thanks to all, the DR. released me to go back to work on lite duty.. now I'm riding a desk At least better for $
Old 02-02-2013, 08:54 PM   #9

Name: del
Trailer: 1980 13' Burro
Utah
Sorry to hear your vacation turned out so bad.

Good news, the fishies did not get to your toe and you have a desk to ride.

My last dive I got hung up in kelp during a surging tide...I and my dive partner both drowned.......a dive class found us and revived us both.

Some how I never got another chance to dive again.
papas34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:31 AM   #10

Name: Sue and Greg
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 foot and a 2015 Casita Spitit Deluxe 17 ft.
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by papas34 View Post
Sorry to hear your vacation turned out so bad.

Good news, the fishies did not get to your toe and you have a desk to ride.

My last dive I got hung up in kelp during a surging tide...I and my dive partner both drowned.......a dive class found us and revived us both.

Some how I never got another chance to dive again.
I have now kicked "kelp bed dive" off my bucket list! Jeesh!
Sue and Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:06 AM   #11

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue and Henry View Post
I have now kicked "kelp bed dive" off my bucket list! Jeesh!
I also highly recommend taking cave night dives off your list as a "good idea" as well..... stuff memories are made of or should I say nightmares......
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:50 PM   #12

Alabama
Dive REF:

I can relate to some of them things diving IE: Cave Dive. just finished with a Instructor and 3 Dive Masters and a dumb @** that decided that he needed in front of me 45-50 meters in to a cave 20m deep he kicked off my mask, regulator out and stired up to no vis.. I remember the time slowing to a crawl and talking myself... step 1 regulator suck half tank of air down. step 2 recover mask. step 3 trust only self diving and most of all NO CAVES for me. and never trust diving with Officers (MIL). the only times I've had "dive problems" is with diving with Officers and them thinking that they know it all or doing stupid things.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:18 PM   #13

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Other than all that, Mrs Lincoln, how was the play?

Ditto on the previous reservations on cave diving. Remember 20 years ago 120 feet down, 400 feet back in a cave in the springs of North Florida looking down at my guage and it reading in the red zone. That was a real "ah poop" moment.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:04 PM   #14

Name: del
Trailer: 1980 13' Burro
Utah
Hard to head to the surface when your 400 feet deep in a cave.....glad you made it out.

The previously mentioned dive we were 195 feet down...when we left it was calm and sunny.......drained out tanks knowing we would gain pressure on the way up, but never expected the surface to be so violent.

Lucky for us the dive class was on their way out of the sea at the same time.....how they spotted us I still don't know!!!
papas34 is offline   Reply With Quote