BAL Light Trailer Tire Level Leveler Chock Pop Up RV Camper - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-16-2013, 01:21 PM   #71

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
BAL bag

I simply went to a local fabric store and bought some cordura and sewed up a simple bag. A little bit of Velcro to keep it closed. This worked well for 7 years. Took about 15 minutes to cut and sew.

Plus I keep the lead screw lightly greased. If it gets heavy I wipe it down. It doesn't need a lot of grease.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:49 PM   #72

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Last weekend while using my BAL leveler it sank into the ground (combination of soft ground + rain) and was very difficult to remove . Thus my question " Has anyone ever welded some flat pieces of metal to the bottom piece of tubing? I have some 10 gauge pieces of sheet metal I could use and I hoped by having a larger footprint it would sink less at marginal campsites. I know it would add to the weight of the BAL but that seems like a minor concern

Thanks Steve D

Old 05-16-2013, 01:58 PM   #73

Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Last weekend while using my BAL leveler it sank into the ground (combination of soft ground + rain) and was very difficult to remove . Thus my question " Has anyone ever welded some flat pieces of metal to the bottom piece of tubing? I have some 10 gauge pieces of sheet metal I could use and I hoped by having a larger footprint it would sink less at marginal campsites. I know it would add to the weight of the BAL but that seems like a minor concern

Thanks Steve D
If you welded metal across the bottom how would you get it under the wheel?
Old 05-16-2013, 02:30 PM   #74

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
I think Steve is suggesting welding a chunk of plate to each arm of the lower "U" very similar to the tire-bearing wings welded to the elevating tire cradle. This split base plate should slip past the tire given a bit of attention to the gap necessary-- likely not greater than 6-8" at ground level.

Were I to encounter soft and muddy conditions, I'd have to place a couple of my all purpose plywood pads or other found riprap adjacent to the tire.

jack
Old 05-16-2013, 02:57 PM   #75

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
I think Steve is suggesting welding a chunk of plate to each arm of the lower "U" very similar to the tire-bearing wings welded to the elevating tire cradle. This split base plate should slip past the tire given a bit of attention to the gap necessary-- likely not greater than 6-8" at ground level.

Were I to encounter soft and muddy conditions, I'd have to place a couple of my all purpose plywood pads or other found riprap adjacent to the tire.

jack
Jack ; You are correct , I want to position the plates so they do not interfere with the tire and the BAL still fit in my storage case . 3 pieces about 4" or 5" by 6 " would add about 2/3 of a square ft of area to the leveler . I thought maybe someone had already tried this and could tell me if it was a worthwhile venture.

Thanks Steve D
Old 05-16-2013, 03:01 PM   #76

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
may be better tu use some plastic levelers in those situations under the B@L, save yourself trouble as well as extra weight.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:06 PM   #77

Delaware
Of course, three sides to the tubing base allows three chances to increase the bearing rather than only two. Didn't see that in my thought balloon. Sounds like good idea to me, Steve.

jack
Old 05-16-2013, 03:17 PM   #78

Name: Scott
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner
Georgia
Steve: If the BAL sinks into soft ground, just slip one or two leveler blocks under the tire before lowering the BAL. When you lower the BAL, the tire will rest on the blocks, and the extra clearance created will give you room to pull the bottom frame up and out of the mud.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:51 PM   #79

Delaware
In answer to the question which I asked earlier in regard to the size pizza delivery bag for the B@L leveler, I am in receipt of a standard PIB-22 from eBay which easily accommodates the object in question. It's possible that a PIB-20 might have sufficient expansion of sidewalls for a tight fit to the longer dimension. I didn't choose to chance it via mail order.

jack
Old 05-22-2013, 01:33 PM   #80

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
In answer to the question which I asked earlier in regard to the size pizza delivery bag for the B@L leveler, I am in receipt of a standard PIB-22 from eBay which easily accommodates the object in question. It's possible that a PIB-20 might have sufficient expansion of sidewalls for a tight fit to the longer dimension. I didn't choose to chance it via mail order.

jack
Yea, but does it keep the pizzas warm?
Old 05-22-2013, 03:54 PM   #81

Name: Shirley
Trailer: '82 13' Burro
Colorado
Forget the BAL and buy a Milenco. Half the weight and it comes with a carrying case.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:38 PM   #82

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Too expensive... I need to find or make a bag.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:16 PM   #83

Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
Too expensive... I need to find or make a bag.

I made a bag. Just plain too simple.
One piece of fabric about 6" wider than the leveler and 2 x length + 8". (length being along the U and width across the U)
Fold the fabric across the fabric with outsides of fabric together, so that one length is about 6" longer than the other.
Sew it along the edges. turn right side out. Add fasteners of your choice, I used velcro and the fabric was Cordura. Cheap and easy, easy to replace.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:22 PM   #84

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Yeah...I have the sunbrella fabric...bought it for a boat project... boat is gone from hurricane Sandy. Guess I will make one next week...also need a cover for my generator when its not in use.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light