Barton Flats, San Bernandino mountains CA - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2006, 01:16 PM   #1

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp
Hi,

I am thinking of taking a non camping friend for one night to Bartin Flats as thats fairly close to home. Anyone in Southern California have experience with this campground ?

If so, comments and advise please. I plan on going Saturday Aug 19th and returning Sunday. Of course I will be in my 13ft Scamp. My friend has not camped before and I would like this first time too be a good experience. We hope to visit the Big Bear area during the day and enjoy.

Thanks

Santiago in Anaheim
Old 08-05-2006, 01:43 PM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I have stayed at Barton Flats. It was "OK" but do yourself the favor of traveling another 7 miles or so up hiway 38 and stay at Heartbar. It is a whole other world. (Also closer to Big Bear)

Barton flats, because it is closer to civilization, and it has flush toilets, a dump station and showers, has a tendancy to attract .... uncamping like folks. And it is almost always full.

It is in a more Live Oak area than pines. The sites are smaller than other campgrounds in the area. The upper loop is more for tents, the sites are not level.

It is also right on the hiway, and can get a lot of noise. It also doesn't have much of a view.. just the campground.

Heartbar is IN the wilderness area, and almost every one of the 94 sites has views of ridges or meadows. Also, being higher up, it's a bit cooler. Even on the 4 day 4th of July weekend, there were empty sites. I have NEVER seen it full, and I camp there more than anywhere else.

San Gorgornio campground, just up from Barton flats, is a total madhouse. Lots of transient livers in there. The hosts don't do much to dicourage this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	hbmeadow.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	179.5 KB
ID:	4336

Typical Heartbar view. The south side of the campground. The northside has views of Sugarloaf mountain and the backside of Bear Mountain areas.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 03:01 PM   #3

Gina, thank you soooo much for the info. You saved me from introducing someone to trailer style camping that would have been a turn-off.

I once stayed at Heart Bar years ago, car camping and yes it was very nice. I hiked the local trails full of Aspen trees all the way to the Fish Creek Trail junction. Won't be doing that with my green friend but yes it was nice.

I thought Barton Flats was supposed to be nice and thought of trying it, glad I asked and very glad you replied with your experiences as I know you live near by, thank you.

I am not too familiar with car campgrounds in this area as I normally backpack Gorgonio and Jacinto and all I know are the trailhead parking lots, but now that I have my Scamp, I plan on using local campgrounds more and more. Thank you again.

Santiago in Anaheim
Old 08-05-2006, 03:36 PM   #4

Registry
You are welcome.

If your friend is Green, they will appreciate the closer location to Big Bear, tho it is still 1/2 hour to get to it. When the beer runs out, at least you have a fighting chance of a timely relief.

They may turn even greener tho when they realize they have to use the 2 or 4 holers. The hosts at Heartbar clean EVERY day, and for pit toilets, they are actually pretty good. BUT.. they are still pit toilets and can get a bit unpleasant near the evening hours.

There are easy and pleasant hikes there. Ask Sharron or Peggy, the hosts, how to get to the river trail. In the area near to the campground, it is flat and easy and goes along the Santa Ana and across the meadow. A pleasant stroll. My pups and I do this frequently and I have limited breathing capabilites at that elevation. I have no probelms on this trail.

You can also try the dispersed sites just up the road from the campground, maybe 1/4 mile. They are reasonable.

BUT.... the bear activety is high there. Please don't shoot one like some dope did when I was there last weekend.

They go into the organized campground too. Might want to warn greeny they won't eat them, but they are there at nite all the time.

Good luck! I hope you have a great time!

Look for the red and white burro if you go there, I am up almost every other weekend.
Old 08-05-2006, 03:53 PM   #5

Thanks again Gina.

Yes the trails around there are nice. I went down the road and hiked the Crazy Horse Trail which was not too easy but ok for a beginner.

Bears don't bother me as I sleep out with them around and all they want is my food cannisted which they can't open and I usually stick in the bushes so they won't roll it half a mile away and I lose my food several days from the starting point. Shot a bear ? that's terrible as they don't hurt people, well almost never.

Yes I will look for you the 19th and say hello. As I said I have a 13ft Scamp and a VW Passat grey wagon. I know you have the world's smallest motor home.

Thanks

Santiago in Anaheim
Old 08-10-2006, 10:38 PM   #6

Gina,

I made reservations for Heart Bar Friday and Saturday night spot #28. If you are around drop by and say hello. 13 ft Scamp and Passat wagon.

Many spots at this camp ground are not reservable. How does one get one of those, first come first serve ?

We have a porta-potty so the out house will not be an issue. Can Heart Bar campers run down the road and shower at Barton Flats?

Hope to see you if you are out that way that weekend.

Santiago in Anaheim
Old 08-10-2006, 10:40 PM   #7

Oh I forgot, the weekend is August 18 and 19th.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:50 PM   #8

Registry
Hi Santiago,

Thats a busy travel week for me. I doubt I will be out on that weekend. But you never know, sometimes I just take off.

Yes, it's first come, first served. I have never had a problem getting a spot, even on 3 day weekends. The 100% unreservable loop is almost always totally empty. Not sure why, other than lots of spots are not real shaded.

In this campground, there is no such thing as a bad site, just some that are better than others.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:45 PM   #9

Hi Gina,

My no longer green girlfriend had a great time at Heart Bar. We met Peggy the host lady and Sharon who seems to work there, she rides her cart all over.

They both know you and enjoy your company when you visit their camp.

Thank you for suggesting this campground as it was very very nice.
Kim ( aka Greenie ) was hoping you come by so that she meet you.

We will return in the near future I am sure as Kim liked trailer camping and had a wonderful time. Weather was great and we visited Big Bear both days.

Take care and thanks again for the recommendation.

Santiago in Anaheim
Old 08-22-2006, 09:22 AM   #10

Registry
Sharon loves her cart, and you had better not step outta line.. I wouldn't want her mad at me.

Did she call you a "Baby Trailer"?

Come on up over labor day!

L K here:

NotaRallyReally