Bashing a camper, just because you can. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-14-2013, 09:11 AM   #21

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Add another name to this list as the mob builds its righteous indignation.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:50 AM   #22

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
The line between bashing and constructive criticism is drawn on an individual basis.
Chandler may personally be a well intentioned and honorable person but that does not change the fact that there are problems or issues with his trailer that need to be addressed.
To me nothing is more frustrating than buying a product especially a high cost product and being unable to get prompt service or answers to my concerns . Being a small company or being busy is not an acceptable excuse for not answering phone calls or E-Mails from your customers.
Seems Parkliner has made some adjustments and addressed some of these issues- see http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...-56219-18.html post#248 where the batteries no longer have metal cables and are enclosed in a sealed box.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:01 AM   #23

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Tom, I have not committed myself to exhaustive study of the cessation or interruption of production of fiberglass camping trailers but I will hazard a guess that there was no single cause common to the demise of all those on The List. I suspect that "enthusiasts" lose interest in the process of realizing their dream, that one-man bands typically make tremendous commitments of time and energy which they cannot sustain in the face of age, illness, and low margins on the fringes of a leisure based economy which reveals wild swings between high demand and no demand, and very typically naïveté concerning the absolute necessity of leveraging sufficient operating capital and a resultant "slow payer" alienation of creditors. I agree that bad street cred doesn't help any business of any size succeed of course.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:05 AM   #24

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
The line between bashing and constructive criticism is drawn on an individual basis.
Very true Steve, I imagine this line is drawn quite differently the more intimate you are with a product. I know I have reacted differently when comments affect my choices too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:12 AM   #25

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Seems Parkliner has made some adjustments and addressed some of these issues- see http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...-56219-18.html post#248 where the batteries no longer have metal cables and are enclosed in a sealed box.
From what I recall the battery setup in that particular trailer is a one-off made that way for the customer only.

Further though the enclosure may be sealed from the trailer interior it looks like the batteries and the charger/converter share the same space and it is not sealed between them.

One of the points of using a sealed battery enclosure is that outgas from a battery is highly flammable and explosive so this is hardly the fix for that. It is not too smart to let the batteries and potential spark creating electronics share the same airspace.

And then I don't see any safe vent path to outside anywhere at least in the picture in the link.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:24 AM   #26

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Perhaps it was because of the views and observations made by non-Parkliner owners that prompted the builder to correct (some) issues that were generating negative publicity. That battery tie down/containment issue, while small, was a red flag as to other possible shortcuts that might have been taken during assembly.

That said, mighty Dutchman, builder of thousands of non-FGRV's under many brand names is, perhaps even more guilty of poor quality in builds as well as in poor customer communications.

On a new 17' Coleman(branded) hybred we bought for our extended families use we found the following issues:
1. Dinette table was to small to support the bed and fell through, it took over 5 weeks to get a new table top.
2. Dutchman refuses to replace upholstery stained by a water leak that was covered. Seems that stains are OK.
3. Numerous design errors are rampant: Difficult to store bunk ends without damaging the tent supports and seals (Dealer damaged two before they found the "Right" way to store) still no instructions on how to do this properly from the Mfg
There is no place to store the tilt out mattresses (as in competitive units) when travelling, making the interior almost useless while enroute
4. Optional stereo/dvd player cannont be reached or even read without a step stool for anyone under 6' tall and the designated location for a very small flat screen can only be viewed from one couch
5. Wires & plumbing run under sinks & counters block storage space
6. Available storage under counters blocked off by screw secured panels.
Ad the list goes On... Needless to say we would never recommend that anyone buy any thing built by Dutchman

But Dutchman is big enough to ignore a few complains because they use a dealer system with 40% plus mark-up and thrive on first time buyers.

Rant complete

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:39 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
Tom, I have not committed myself to exhaustive study of the cessation or interruption of production of fiberglass camping trailers but I will hazard a guess that there was no single cause common to the demise of all those on The List. I suspect that "enthusiasts" lose interest in the process of realizing their dream, that one-man bands typically make tremendous commitments of time and energy which they cannot sustain in the face of age, illness, and low margins on the fringes of a leisure based economy which reveals wild swings between high demand and no demand, and very typically naïveté concerning the absolute necessity of leveraging sufficient operating capital and a resultant "slow payer" alienation of creditors. I agree that bad street cred doesn't help any business of any size succeed of course.

jack
Darn! I was hoping to blame all of the past manufacturer's failures on a couple of bad actors here.

But seriously, I hope the recent innovators can last until they figure out how to make it a profitable venture. It is a cool market niche.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:38 AM   #28

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Nothing to do with this topic, but I clicked on Tom's "this list" in post #21, then on Uhaul members and find that we are not on the list, nor are some other Uhaul owners that I know of. Not that I really care to be on a list, but how did that list come to be?
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:11 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Nothing to do with this topic, but I clicked on Tom's "this list" in post #21, then on Uhaul members and find that we are not on the list, nor are some other Uhaul owners that I know of. Not that I really care to be on a list, but how did that list come to be?
When the black helicopters come over the horizon, you don't want to be on THE LIST.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:06 PM   #30
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Bob, I think you're added to that list if you click "Join Group" (upper right on the window frame).
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:58 PM   #31

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Smile

To Brian: I get it. And thank you for all the ponderings via PM's and threads. It has been enjoyable.

(First a bottom line statement...I'm grateful to this forum, its members, and their ponderings...that have prompted me to do some simple tweaks on PL#35 to make it more mine, and a happy place to hang out in!..i state as i am typing this response from my happy place inside the PL.)

On our PL #35 mentioned in a prior post by Ed (and thank you for your input on all this Ed!)...

Just and FYI, i did not request the battery box or design so something was at work in Chandler's mind that prompted that to be included. The whole "Box" idea might have simply been an outworking of having some extra space to play with since i did request the fresh water tank to be placed on the other (curb) side of the rig, freeing up the space taken in the stock position(?)

Yes Ed is correct in pointing out that though there is a _box_, it does include both batteries and charger. With that pointed out to me (somewhere in the many posts leading up to this) i am in the process of designing a simple tweak to contain gases in the battery area only and then vented to outside.

Cheers,
And here is also to Diversity!
It would be a boring world if it were all one model.

Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:20 PM   #32

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I think the fit 'n finish of all brands is similar to the fit n' finish of owners of all molded towables. Some of us are in better shape than others.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:23 PM   #33

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I think the fit 'n finish of all brands is similar to the fit n' finish of owners of all molded towables. Some of us are in better shape than others.
Lol

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:30 PM   #34

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
I resemble that comment.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:25 PM   #35

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2013 ParkLiner
Upstate New York
Quote:
Thanks for phrasing my sentiments so succinctly. If you keep picking at it, it's never going to heal!

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.
Brian M. in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:06 PM   #36

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Brian, You think Parkliner is the only brand ever bashed? LOL...... I can tell you haven't been around long!

But have to ask, is it bashing or suggestions, concerns or ideas? Guess it depends on how you look at it. I don't believe people wish to drive Parkliner out of business. They only wanna tell them how to create a better trailer!
I would hope that Chandler can take suggestions, ideas, concerns and use them to benefit both himself as a business and his customers.

I will say that if there are safety concerns that they are addressed and addressed ASAP! I think your post/topic arises due to the Parkliner/Battery topic and in my opinion I didn't see bashing. We have a plethora of members here with strong opinions all of whom were trying to help a member, isn't that what this forum is about? So I don't know that I would take it as bashing.

And personally, the only thing I think should be a concern is that Mimi and her family are safe and the issue didn't have different results. And that yours and every other Parkliner are safe for you to travel in and create great memories.

Hang around long enough and I promise you will see real bashing in just about every topic we have at one time or another.

Just enjoy your trailer! That is the beauty of this life we live, we have choices and one choice is what trailer to buy!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote