Bath or no bath - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-10-2013, 11:45 AM   #29
Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Having had toilet and shower in previous motor home, and currently not having them in a scamp 13 I have to say it changes things from my DW's perspective.

She is a lot less willing to go really rustic or totally boondock for more than a couple of nights without the facilities. Toilet functionality can be replaced by porta potti but she has limited desire to not be able to shower for long, and no desire to stop and shop or eat on the way home absent a proper shower.

For some the bathroom and extra storage is a win. For others the openess or bunks is a win. Then there are some people who take the bunk/couch out and build a dinette across the front.

Short of being broken, poorly maintained, or bad modification job I don't think resale is hurt enough to matter. Enough buyers for the different configurations to make it a "non-issue".

I would add my voice to those that point out that any added amenity does incorporate maint. and repair into the total cost of ownership. If the cost makes sense one does it. Simplier solutions E.G porta potti, rolling gray water tank will have a lower cost than built in toilet, tanks and plumbing.

Leaving me to conclude one must purchase and or modify to suit own needs, desires and price point.

RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:09 PM   #30
Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Everyone's needs are different, and they do change with time and age. In my teens and 20's I backpacked and was able to sleep on one of those thin closed cell roll up pads... by my 30's I changed to car camping and went through air mattresses, rope beds, slatbeds, till moving to my homebuilt trailer futon couch/bed eventually to my ParkLiner. For me it was a natural progression.

I want a certain level of comfort... but like I said everyone's needs vary. When its particularly buggy, I like being able to shower off the deet before climbing into bed. Since I boondock those facilities are often not availible. Sometimes their is a porta john/outhouse/pit toilet(got stung on the cheek last year by a wasp in one) I prefer haveing my own. And showering with an outside hookup is an option, except when its cold out. But you and your spouse need to decide what is the minimum comfort level that you need... not what everyone else needs and go with it. Extra systems always means extra maintenance...but what can ya do?

Can always start simple and see how you like it. The resale value of these trailers is pretty good... if you decide nope we need a bathroom then sell it and start the hunt all over. I moved up from no toilet in my lil vardo and a toilet/porta potty was a requirement...I have a finicky stomach.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:43 PM   #31
Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Since a 135 Thetford will fit under the bench , then a toilet is not the whole issue, besides you already carry your "body waste" around with you until nature calls and then you don't eliminate it all...You're just not as full of it as you were before.
1. The bench storage is better used for unprocessed waste.
2. My body is not made of plastic.
Byron & Anne enjoying the everyday Saturday thing.
Byron Kinnaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:52 PM   #32
Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
On the other side why would anybody insist on carrying their body waste around with them? As pointed out my feet work just fine, the stars are bright in the middle of the night. A toilet is another failure point that will fail at some point in time.

We've been camping for over 60 years (actually closer to 70) and never needed to carry around a toilet or port-a-potty. In our earlier days a port-a-potty would have been a bit too much to put the backpack. Now a toilet in the trailer is a no no.
I'm glad your feet also work fine as well. I don't believe I ever asked you, or anyone else, to "carry around their body waste with them." And it isn't like I'm carrying it, the holding tank is. It's not a back pack!
If you are happy hoofin' it to the outhouse, have a ball. I never said anyone HAD to have one, it is just MY personal opinion, and nothing more. I prefer to have one in my trailer. I'll go in my toilet, you can go in the bushes or wherever you have to in order to relieve yourself...
"Government doesn't have an answer to the problem, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:50 PM   #33
The real question is.... if your going in the woods do you use a tree for a backrest or a small tree to hold yourself up?

Really there is no "right" answer to that or the OP question on bathrooms. Value lies in people sharing what they do, why, and how it works based on experience. In that discussion lies the information that allows one to figure out what they might want to consider in making their decision.

Not a lot of room for debate, since it all boils down to what the individual wants to do, and is willing to do to accommodate that choice. Be that a walk under the stars or dumping or maint. costs.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:08 PM   #34
Name: Steven
Trailer: Currently Shopping
NW Wisconsin

We have stayed at campgrounds that will not allow tent camping or trailers without bathroom / kitchen facilities and holding tanks . The reason I was given was they do not want visitors dumping dish water or shower water on the ground , doing dishes in the restrooms or using the closest tree as a urinal. If I went camping in a trailer.without a bathroom I would be camping without my wife . The bathroom is a small price for me to pay for her company
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:36 PM   #35
Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Originally Posted by Chillywilly View Post
Since I will only consider a 13' egg, could I live without a bathroom? Out here in Nevada, a lot of places have those pit latrines 'cuz we are usually in the middle of nowhere. So, I see a lot of pics in here of 13' eggs without bathrooms, only portapottys. For the most part, we'd only use it for one or two nights. Bottom line...have any of you regretted buying one without a bathroom?
I think that it depends somewhat on the length of the trailer. The OP (above) was asking about a 13 footer. Given how few square feet are in a 13 footer, one must ask if they want to devote that much dedicated space to a toilet and shower considering how few hours you use them vs the rest of the trailer.
UHaul and Burro owners, join the UHaul Campers on Facebook.
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:46 PM   #36
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We have stayed at campgrounds that will not allow tent camping or trailers without bathroom / kitchen facilities and holding tanks .... If I went camping in a trailer without a bathroom I would be camping without my wife....
I have also run across those restricted campgrounds over the years. I think it's more about eliminating the pop-ups and tent campers which often have different camping activities than the self-contained crowd do. I try to avoid those campgrounds. Feels funny being the only person brewing the morning coffee over a coleman stove under the rain-fly. Or cooking dinner over a campfire.

Totally agree, spouse perspective is important consideration. Possibly the most important consideration. Would not do to spend cost of camper and have spouse think it was totally wasted. Not do at all.

Also agree with 13 ft vs 16 ft being different. If we sold the 13 to purchase a 16 space for the bath room would be a prime motivator.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:40 PM   #37
Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 'Spirit Deluxe
If you don't get one, you will never miss it. I tent camped for many years and in my 50's moved to a tent trailer. Was like heaven, off the ground. No toilet. A couple of years ago I bought my first Scamp, with a toilet and shower. I discovered I rather enjoyed having a toilet close by. Never did use the shower. I recently purchased a 17 Casita with a bathroom. I used the shower for the first time on a recent trip to Yosemite. Showers are a long ways away and very crowded. OMG, I loved being able to get the days grime off with a quick shower, in my own space!! I would not do it any other way now.

Never have it, won't miss it. Once you have it, you won't want it any other way.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:53 PM   #38
Name: Rene
Trailer: 1978 Boler 1700
British Columbia
to bath or not to bath?

Have to add my opinion here I can certainly see why it could be an issue in the 13 footers. IF I had a 13 footer I would at least want a porta potti. IMHO if you don't have a toilet in the trailer its just a tent on wheels, which might be fine with some people but not me. Are you a weekend camper and once a year vacationer? Chances are you could adapt to not having a bathroom. Where do you want to camp most of the time? RV Park, campground, or primitive? Do you like to boondock or spend months to years travelling with your trailer? Are you single or a couple? Children? Age? Now you might be more inclined to think about the bathroom as a necessary item. I rate my bathroom right up there with my fridge, furnace, stove and sink. Not negotiable.
Rene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:03 PM   #39
Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
You got the right attitude, CharlieJ. Enjoy it when you got it; don't miss it when you ain't.

rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:35 PM   #40
Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 'Spirit Deluxe
Jack.......sorta like most things in life huh?
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:35 PM   #41
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
The only waste I carry around is in my intestines/bladder and I've never had a problem with the china flush toilet in my trailer in the 10+ years I've owned it. Can't say that about the three bathrooms in my sticks 'n bricks home!

I agree with Charlie, you can never miss what you've never had. And it's a very personal decision. Frankly, I can afford to own a fully-self contained trailer and I'm NEVER going backward. The older I get, the more important having facilities within three steps of the bed at night becomes. The idea of squatting in the bushes left me a looong time ago and getting dressed to use the campground facilities is soooo 1990s for me (bought my trailer in 2002).

Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:41 PM   #42
Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
In my humble opinion, this is one of those decisions that, if you have a female traveling companion, it should be her input in a big way. Speaking from experience, it ain't fun if you camp in the wilds, to use the toilette au naturel, at least not for me. To put it delicately, it leaves too much landscape available for mosquitoes to feast on. We volunteered on Pine Ridge week before last, and I got to remember what it was like growing up on the farm and taking a walk in the pasture that lasted too long.

I loved having our porta-potty while we were there, although I tried to use the local outhouse as much as I could instead of our porta-potty. We were a long ways away from the bunkhouses of the organization we were working with.

Even when we have facilities nearby, I appreciate the chance to not have to visit them in the middle of the night.

CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote