Bath vs NO Bath? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-29-2015, 11:34 AM   #29

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
I have tent camped also and this is our first camper and the reasons Uplander stated were our motivation for adding a bathroom. The porta potty duty is not that bad we just make sure we use plenty of the chemical treatment, however, I will probably add an RV toilet/black tank at some point in the future (the porta potty route fit our budget better for our restoration). It does take away some space as noted by other posters, however, IMHO the convenience of having the bath far out ways the space we gave up. We talked with a family who had a pop up camper on our last trip and they were using a tent for their porta potty and expressed to us how they wish they had bought a camper with a bathroom & shower.

When we are camping we spend most of our time outside the trailer anyway, it mainly serves as a comfortable place to sleep with air & a restroom/shower but our family of 3 can be reasonably comfortable in it if we need to retreat inside if the weather is bad outside. Also note we use an screen tent/add a room for our kitchen and lounging area which helps makeup for any lost space inside. But to each his own.

Old 09-29-2015, 11:35 AM   #30

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Potty vs no potty.
I'm of the no potty variety as is my wife. Camping for over 60 years without a pack around potty you get used to not having one. Our trailer is approaching 10 years old and we've probably slept it in it over 1000 nights. Pulled it around the country to the tune of around 40,000 miles. It's 13' Scamp.

Some people MUST have their potty, others don't want anything to do with them.

One thing that stops me is that all portable potties, built in or not, will leak at some point in time. Both of us don't like the smell, they all will produce an odor. All campgrounds have at least potties. Some have showers, and most National Parks either have showers or showers close by, at least the ones we've been in do.

I would rather spend the money on gas to get someplace nice than on a potty.

Old 09-29-2015, 11:52 AM   #31

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 17B Sold 5/2016
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmartin748 View Post
Us older folks really like the bathroom. It makes those "middle of the night " trips so much more convenient hehehe.

Being able to just pull off the highway and use the bathroom is very handy for me. Sometimes the rest areas aren't where they need to be lol..
Ain't it th' truth?
2012 4Runner Ltd
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 12:00 PM   #32

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 17B Sold 5/2016
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
Picture this...a cool night...stiff wind blowing...raining...it is 3 AM...gotta go..two options...use comfortable clean bathroom in travel trailer...then flush toilet...back in bed...warm and dry. Option two: Find flashlight and rain gear...wander around in the wind and rain, flashlight in hand looking for campground's bathhouse or perhaps a pit toilet...hope batteries in flashlight don't die on the trip...complete the task and trudge back to your FGRV while wishing it had a bathroom...back at the trailer take off your wet clothes...towel off and crawl into bed a little damp and cold.
The choice is yours....my travel trailer has a bathroom with flush toilet and shower with nice hot water. I wouldn't have it any other way.
The porta-potty thing is way more messy and stinky than a simple trip to the dump station as you depart the campground. If the campground has full hookups it is even easier.

Happy Camping!
I did option #2 enough times when bicycle and motorcycle camping to
really
appreciate option #1
2012 4Runner Ltd
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 12:56 PM   #33

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
If NO bathroom? NO camper.
Old 09-29-2015, 12:56 PM   #34

Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmartin748 View Post
Us older folks really like the bathroom. It makes those "middle of the night " trips so much more convenient hehehe. Also, I don't care for the public showers. As clean as they might seem my family and I have still managed to get things such as athletes foot even with all precautions you can possibly take. Being able to just pull off the highway and use the bathroom is very handy for me. Sometimes the rest areas aren't where they need to be lol..

What's older. I'm 73 and don't need no stinking bathroom in my trailer. Does that make an older folk?
Old 09-29-2015, 01:05 PM   #35

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Potty vs no potty.
I'm of the no potty variety as is my wife. Camping for over 60 years without a pack around potty you get used to not having one. Our trailer is approaching 10 years old and we've probably slept it in it over 1000 nights. Pulled it around the country to the tune of around 40,000 miles. It's 13' Scamp.

Some people MUST have their potty, others don't want anything to do with them.

One thing that stops me is that all portable potties, built in or not, will leak at some point in time. Both of us don't like the smell, they all will produce an odor. All campgrounds have at least potties. Some have showers, and most National Parks either have showers or showers close by, at least the ones we've been in do.

I would rather spend the money on gas to get someplace nice than on a potty.
While I agree that EVERYTHING put together sooner or later falls apart,
I also know that you know that... so I must contend that your leak argument is facitious .
I might argue (more sarcastically than facetiously) That all PEOPLE, determined or not, will leak at some point in time, nobody likes the smell and they all will produce an odor if they can not avail themselves of the the aforementioned convenience.
Old 09-29-2015, 01:22 PM   #36

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 13
None
Thanks Floyd,

This looks like it would work with the 16 ft Layouts for one person as well, giving tons of potential storage, plus the greater counter space in kitchen.

I will keep you in mind if and when I attain one of these options or something similar.
Old 09-29-2015, 01:22 PM   #37

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Good one Floyd! How true.
Dave & Paula
Old 09-29-2015, 01:24 PM   #38

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
How about option #3 for middle of the night relief:

Get put of bed
Slide the full height (just like home) porta-potty out (on it's tracks in our case)
Use it just like home
Flush, almost like home, uses air pressure
Slide it back in
Go back to bed.

With even the most modest of care and cleaning a modern porta-potty will not have any more odor than a black tank system. We have used both.

BUTT..... I have had to wait in line at dump stations for almost an hour to use a dump basin that was so contaminated, dirty and smelly that a full haz-mat suit was uniform of the day. With a dump station you have to depend on the 10-12 users before you to not spill effluent and clean up when they finish dumping, not so when emptying a porta-potty base in a bathroom.
Old 09-29-2015, 01:30 PM   #39

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
Have you ever stopped to look at some of the bathroom floors in these public facilities??? It's enough to make you gag.... At least at the dump stations I've used, you have a water hose to spray the area around where you're working...cant do that in a bathroom!

Gee... makes you wonder how our ancestors survived with OUTHOUSES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post

BUTT..... I have had to wait in line at dump stations for almost an hour to use a dump basin that was so contaminated, dirty and smelly that a full haz-mat suit was uniform of the day. With a dump station you have to depend on the 10-12 users before you to not spill effluent and clean up when they finish dumping, not so when emptying a porta-potty base in a bathroom.
Old 09-29-2015, 01:31 PM   #40

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
I use to have a cabin and while it was being built we used a Thetford potty. No smell at all, never leaked. Used in the winter when we went up and did not want to turn on the water for just the weekend. Must be at least 20 years old. Still in use. When we camp and we are on our way home we have been known to pull in somewhere and do #1, Get home and empty in porta potty, then dump down hopper. We have a full bath/potty in our 16`. Nothing moncho about this 70 year old. I need my full bath in my camper. Carl
Old 09-29-2015, 01:34 PM   #41

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Potty vs no potty.
(Clip)
One thing that stops me is that all portable potties, built in or not, will leak at some point in time. Both of us don't like the smell, they all will produce an odor. .
YES, it used to be that way, and may still be so with the cheapy ones. But we have been using the same Dometic Sealand 975 for four years in two different FGRV's and no leaks and no smells.

Now, when we first got it it there was a small leak at the seal between the upper and lower (5 gallon) tank due to a manufacturing error. A phone call to Dometic got us an entire new holding tank as well a spare seal. At least 5 others that I know of had had no problems at all.

I am afraid that a lot f the negativity towards Porta-pottys of all sorts are based on experiences with older & cruder units. Kinda like American cars, they have come a long way....
Old 09-29-2015, 01:36 PM   #42

Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
While I agree that EVERYTHING put together sooner or later falls apart,
I also know that you know that... so I must contend that your leak argument is facitious .
I might argue (more sarcastically than facetiously) That all PEOPLE, determined or not, will leak at some point in time, nobody likes the smell and they all will produce an odor if they can not avail themselves of the the aforementioned convenience.
I stand by soon or later all potties will leak. The ones in your house the one is your trailer. At some time they will leak. It may be the later is a long after you've owned the trailer, or it may be sooner.

It's just one more point to consider. It may not be a big point to you, but it could be to others. One has to determine for themselves the pros and cons of any and all options.

I think one of our goals here is to present as many pros and cons as possible so that readers can make their own decisions. Because I'm on the other side of many here, it's no excuse to attempt to discredit my opinions. Your opinion is valuable as is mine even though they may greatly differ.