Bath vs NO Bath? - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2015, 08:51 PM   #61

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
...more and more campgrounds, both public and private, are requiring a closed drain system, meaning a fitting to fitting hose between the RV and an external holding tank.
Bob, does the "rolling tote" qualify as an external holding tank?
Old 09-29-2015, 09:45 PM   #62

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
We have a 13ft. Boler similar to the Scamp of the OP.
We have used it for over 10 years and made many mods
to it to fit our lifestyle.
We have a portapotty in it for emergencies only. We have always stayed at
camp sites with showers, etc and have enjoyed 99 percent of our experiences.
BUT I WANT A BATHROOM!!!
The best camp sites here are the provincial ones but they have the WORST amenities!
I would happily deal with the slinky as opposed to the outhouse!
I love playing in the dirt but like to shower after just as much.
Fred
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 08:16 AM   #63

Name: Steve in NY
Trailer: Scamp
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
So walk when the conditions are right
We have a porta potti, as I mentioned. We haven't felt the need to use it yet, but we pull it out each night just in case. Times may change, and what's right for now might be wrong for then. In the meantime if somebody offered me a straight up trade for my 16 footer with sweet L shaped couch for one with a bathroom I would say no. It takes up way too much room for us, but we see the appeal.

Take Care,
Steve
Steve in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 09:49 AM   #64

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in NY View Post
We have a porta potti, as I mentioned. We haven't felt the need to use it yet, but we pull it out each night just in case. Times may change, and what's right for now might be wrong for then. In the meantime if somebody offered me a straight up trade for my 16 footer with sweet L shaped couch for one with a bathroom I would say no. It takes up way too much room for us, but we see the appeal.

Take Care,
Steve
I know the feeling, even though the 16Scamp is a great trailer and small by any reasonable standard, I just couldn't trade and live with three extra feet of unwanted space. The character of the Scamp13 and its utility had attracted me for decades before we bought our Scamp13D front bath.
We had a LoveBug with no bath before and loved it, but the couch seemed redundant compared to all the extra closet space, the microwave and of course the bathroom.
Afterall the interior is already nearly half seating/sleeping space, and that's with the bath.
I love all of the small fiberglass trailers with every available layout, each with its own appeal and advantages, but my Scamp13D,"Eggy-Sue" ( the pull-it surprize) has made my travel time complete with amazing efficiency.
Attached Thumbnails
06_30_0.JPEG   DSCF0034.JPG  

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 09:56 AM   #65

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellpea in CA View Post
Bob, does the "rolling tote" qualify as an external holding tank?
Yes, IF there is a "Closed circuit between the outflow from the RV and the input to the tank". Meaning a mechanical hose connection of some sort at both ends, not just the hose stuck into an opening in the tote. Most totes have a garden hose fitting in the center of the large cap, if not you can get the parts at Home Depot, etc.

As a caution, you also will want to have an air vent somewhere for the tank or the sink may not drain well, and you will want to be sure that there is a trap on the sink or any orders in the the tank can come back into the sink.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 10:35 AM   #66

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
...and you will want to be sure that there is a trap on the sink or any orders in the the tank can come back into the sink.
That's something I never thought about. The factory set-up on a Scamp without the optional grey tank just consists of a clear, flexible tube straight from the drain to the fitting on the exterior of the shell.

Bob, how did you plumb under the sink in your Hunter? I believe you use an external closed tank, right?

Also, how does Scamp plumb under the sink with the optional grey tank?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 10:50 AM   #67

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
That's something I never thought about. The factory set-up on a Scamp without the optional grey tank just consists of a clear, flexible tube straight from the drain to the fitting on the exterior of the shell.

Bob, how did you plumb under the sink in your Hunter? I believe you use an external closed tank, right?

Also, how does Scamp plumb under the sink with the optional grey tank?
The factory set-up with or without the grey tank employs the sink drain/trap shown below, the rest is just routing of the tygon tubing.

Old 09-30-2015, 11:02 AM   #68

The trap that Floyd shows above is the same one that I have used several times on RV's with direct drains. It works "Pretty good" and takes up minimal space under the sink. It's often sold as a "Tent Trailer" drain kit and includes a flexible drain hose and an outside fitting in the kit.

Old 09-30-2015, 11:06 AM   #69

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Thanks! I assume I probably have the same, but I'll have to check.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 11:10 AM   #70

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I can't yet speak for how it works in my total rebuild/redesign of the Scamp 16, but the front two feet are dedicated to the bath/toilet compartment. There are also compartments to either side since the bath area is roughly 24" deep X 37" wide. Here is a shot from the rear and there is approximately 20" to the right by the door for storage (hanging and shelves when finished.

to the left is the bottom utility area where the reel for the macerating pump and the J box for the trailer wiring are. There is also an accumulator tank for water pressure.

A removable door and shelf goes over these items for later access. There is also an access door to pull the hose out for emptying the holding tanks. I have run these with water from the grey tank, but not "really" used it yet.
I give up the settee and bunk that was here, but there will only be the two of us using the trailer. This arrangement gives 6' of height in the shower area with the lower shower pan and higher center part of the roof here.
One concern is that white drain/trap underneath. I think I am going to weld up a steel skid to protect this area, but I haven't done that yet. I have a pump like the newer Scamps to pump to the grey tank. The sink to the left has the fancy no trap rig for more space. Both the sink and shower drain to the same port on the grey tank the old side shower pan drained to previously.
The macerating pump is under the floor and is fed with 1 1/2" ABS pipe from the black and grey tanks. This is hopefully the low point for the system. Both of the tanks still have the 3" drain hookups if this doesn't work out for some reason.
My wife insisted on having a bath and one that she (6') could stand up in. This arrangement does that. As a matter of fact this was what drove the decision fot the 16' Scamp in the first place. The 16' Casita did not have enough headroom for her and the 17' was heavier than what we wanted to tow with the VW.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 12:19 PM   #71

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Back to the original question: I have a 13 footer camper and have always been a camping fool. Camping year round. Boondock mostly. I use an outdoor shower tent and a ZODI Hot water shower. All you need is a bucket of clean water and 6 batteries for the submirsable pump and propane cylinder. Works great! Also use a Porti Poti inside camper for nightly use. Just put chemicals in, Dispose of paper in trash can, NO SMELL, NEVER A MESS. Have used this system over 30 years. Many use the motos, " No muss, no fuss" or "Keep it simple stupid" Just do what works for you Diane. There is no right or wrong way...you will find your way.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 12:24 PM   #72

Really nice kitchen counter and sink. Is that an IKEA sink?

Old 09-30-2015, 01:47 PM   #73

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Yes it is an IKEA sink and drain. The counter top is a Poplar 2' X ?' butcher block type panel from Lowe's stained with a mixture of several stains and pre-stain conditioner to get the color I wanted. It was then "varnished" with epoxy resin.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 03:27 PM   #74

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny M View Post
I am kind of amazed at how this post about the facilities is such an active one... who knew???
Hi, the one about the sawdust porta potty installation went twelve pages before the moderator decided we'd had enough. Apparently this is an important issue, one every camper has to deal with, and one that probably deserves a lot of discussion...I know it's of interest to us! (Still looking for that perfect egg, and fascinated with the possibilities!)
Kai in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 04:05 PM   #75

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Lightbulb

Greetings Diane and best wishes on your hunt for the perfect-for-you camper : )

For my wife and I? We wouldn't think of spending XX$$ on any rig without having the ability to shower and do-business. Even in our Van Conversion my MacGirlver of a wife managed to design, and then have Van Specialties of Portland, build her a bathroom-closet... ~18" deep from wall X ~30 wide when closed, and when open can be used as a private shower or powder/pottie room.

There are soooo many great ideas floating around this and other related forums that you are bound to find simple, affordable solutions for taking care of business.

Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 08:55 AM   #76

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Davis View Post
Back to the original question: I have a 13 footer camper and have always been a camping fool. Camping year round. Boondock mostly. I use an outdoor shower tent and a ZODI Hot water shower. All you need is a bucket of clean water and 6 batteries for the submirsable pump and propane cylinder. Works great! Also use a Porti Poti inside camper for nightly use. Just put chemicals in, Dispose of paper in trash can, NO SMELL, NEVER A MESS. Have used this system over 30 years. Many use the motos, " No muss, no fuss" or "Keep it simple stupid" Just do what works for you Diane. There is no right or wrong way...you will find your way.
Onboard bathroom involves lighting the water heater and pouring a shot of tank treatment down the toilet. Then use it for a week between visits to the dump station.
Sounds much more "Keep it simple stupid" and less "Rube Goldberg" to me, and the paper goes down the toilet!
Old 10-09-2015, 10:00 AM   #77

We used (and still have) a Zodi shower unit that we used in the past with a shower tent until we added a water heater and an outside shower panel to both of our past 13'ers for showers when they aren't available in campgrounds. Works neat, we have it when we need it, and it's not taking up space when we don't. Ditto for the porta-potty vs a fixed bathroom.

As mentioned, different systems work for different peeps and, so far, none of them are "Rube Goldberg" at all, just different.

Old 10-09-2015, 12:20 PM   #78

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Lightbulb

Here is the shower unit we use. Plug it in to a 12v supply and your bucket of choice with your temp of water and enjoy.

Amazon.com : Portable 12V DC Powered Water Pump & Shower Unit : Portable Camping Shower Gear : Sports & Outdoors_

and this collapsible bucket:
http://www.amazon.com/COLOURWAVE-Col...4414610&sr=8-8

We get a nice shower out of two kettles full of water (one ambient + one boiled) .

Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 12:39 PM   #79

Registry
Quote:
We used (and still have) a Zodi shower unit that we used in the past with a shower tent until we added a water heater and an outside shower panel to both of our past 13'ers for showers when they aren't available in campgrounds. Works neat, we have it when we need it, and it's not taking up space when we don't. Ditto for the porta-potty vs a fixed bathroom.

As mentioned, different systems work for different peeps and, so far, none of them are "Rube Goldberg" at all, just different.
Unless you stash it in another accessible dimension, it takes up space whether you need it at the moment or not!
Old 10-09-2015, 12:55 PM   #80

Yep, that's it's major drawback, but the Zodi unit only take up about the same space as a Group 27 battery box and is a lot easier to move and store than an entire bathroom.... LOL