Bath vs NO Bath? - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-29-2015, 06:02 PM   #57

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny M View Post
I am kind of amazed at how this post about the facilities is such an active one... who knew???
Don't worry,most of us knew, since we've done this a few times before!
It pops up from time to time!

Old 09-29-2015, 06:45 PM   #58

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I realize almost eveything has been said pro/con bathroom/shower/porta-pottie. We've had a Dometic porta-pottie in our 2011 Scamp 13' since we purchased it new. Our rule is to use it for #1 (placing toilet paper in a plastic bag-lined-lidded trash can and disposed of in the morning) and use a public facility for #2. Pardon the graphics here but, #1 without TP is much easier to dispose of in a dump station or flush toilet than anything more. Be sure to rinse the holding tank and add 1" of water and chemicals to keep down the smell. Frankly, if done right there is no smell.

I do have to say that the sitting height is LOW and can be difficult if you have joint or balance issues. Men should sit to avoid any splashing. This is all a bit inconvenient but beats having to brave the cold and dark at night.

Yes, my own shower and flush toilet would be lovely but are not worth the space, the weight and the maintenance. I love my little egg the way it is.

Good luck with your decision.

Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 07:12 PM   #59

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
One nice feature of RV toilets is their height.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 09:00 PM   #60

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in NY View Post
It's amazing how different everyone is. My wife an I use a porta-potti now, but some of my best memories is seeing the moon, stars, raccoon, hearing coyotes and loons and other critters on the "walk". Sometime back when we had a tent camper we would walk together. But often the first words of the morning were "Had this great night walk to the bathroom where I saw...."

It's all good.
Steve in NY
So walk when the conditions are right,
I laid outside and watched the eclipse Sunday night and left my plumbing intact and in doors the whole time, secure in the knowledge that it was there if I needed it.
Here's a plan... walk a hundred yards or so in any direction from your camper(even toward the public facilities) then turn around and take the"walk" . Its really the same distance and when you're done you're already back at the trailer!
I do agree though that modern conveniences can isolate us from nature if we are not careful, although I think Smart phones, television or tablets are far worse culprits than a completely mute bathroom facility.
It could be said that having no bathroom could make you listen a little more though when NATURE calls!

Our Travel trailer is used for rural forest type experiences really only about half the time, the rest is used for travel and tourism and I much prefer my own facilities to trying to share a couple of portapotties with a bunch of revelers at a race track after midnight or to looking for a construction site near the Crackerbarrel after closing time.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:51 PM   #61

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
...more and more campgrounds, both public and private, are requiring a closed drain system, meaning a fitting to fitting hose between the RV and an external holding tank.
Bob, does the "rolling tote" qualify as an external holding tank?
5 cylinders, 5 speed auto transmission
Ellpea in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 10:45 PM   #62

Name: Fred
Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Kootenay's of BC
Registry
We have a 13ft. Boler similar to the Scamp of the OP.
We have used it for over 10 years and made many mods
to it to fit our lifestyle.
We have a portapotty in it for emergencies only. We have always stayed at
camp sites with showers, etc and have enjoyed 99 percent of our experiences.
BUT I WANT A BATHROOM!!!
The best camp sites here are the provincial ones but they have the WORST amenities!
I would happily deal with the slinky as opposed to the outhouse!
I love playing in the dirt but like to shower after just as much.
Fred
Old 09-30-2015, 09:16 AM   #63

Name: Steve in NY
Trailer: Scamp
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
So walk when the conditions are right
We have a porta potti, as I mentioned. We haven't felt the need to use it yet, but we pull it out each night just in case. Times may change, and what's right for now might be wrong for then. In the meantime if somebody offered me a straight up trade for my 16 footer with sweet L shaped couch for one with a bathroom I would say no. It takes up way too much room for us, but we see the appeal.

Take Care,
Steve
Old 09-30-2015, 10:49 AM   #64

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in NY View Post
We have a porta potti, as I mentioned. We haven't felt the need to use it yet, but we pull it out each night just in case. Times may change, and what's right for now might be wrong for then. In the meantime if somebody offered me a straight up trade for my 16 footer with sweet L shaped couch for one with a bathroom I would say no. It takes up way too much room for us, but we see the appeal.

Take Care,
Steve
I know the feeling, even though the 16Scamp is a great trailer and small by any reasonable standard, I just couldn't trade and live with three extra feet of unwanted space. The character of the Scamp13 and its utility had attracted me for decades before we bought our Scamp13D front bath.
We had a LoveBug with no bath before and loved it, but the couch seemed redundant compared to all the extra closet space, the microwave and of course the bathroom.
Afterall the interior is already nearly half seating/sleeping space, and that's with the bath.
I love all of the small fiberglass trailers with every available layout, each with its own appeal and advantages, but my Scamp13D,"Eggy-Sue" ( the pull-it surprize) has made my travel time complete with amazing efficiency.
Attached Thumbnails
06_30_0.JPEG   DSCF0034.JPG  

Old 09-30-2015, 10:56 AM   #65

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellpea in CA View Post
Bob, does the "rolling tote" qualify as an external holding tank?
Yes, IF there is a "Closed circuit between the outflow from the RV and the input to the tank". Meaning a mechanical hose connection of some sort at both ends, not just the hose stuck into an opening in the tote. Most totes have a garden hose fitting in the center of the large cap, if not you can get the parts at Home Depot, etc.

As a caution, you also will want to have an air vent somewhere for the tank or the sink may not drain well, and you will want to be sure that there is a trap on the sink or any orders in the the tank can come back into the sink.
Old 09-30-2015, 11:35 AM   #66

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
...and you will want to be sure that there is a trap on the sink or any orders in the the tank can come back into the sink.
That's something I never thought about. The factory set-up on a Scamp without the optional grey tank just consists of a clear, flexible tube straight from the drain to the fitting on the exterior of the shell.

Bob, how did you plumb under the sink in your Hunter? I believe you use an external closed tank, right?

Also, how does Scamp plumb under the sink with the optional grey tank?
Old 09-30-2015, 11:50 AM   #67

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
That's something I never thought about. The factory set-up on a Scamp without the optional grey tank just consists of a clear, flexible tube straight from the drain to the fitting on the exterior of the shell.

Bob, how did you plumb under the sink in your Hunter? I believe you use an external closed tank, right?

Also, how does Scamp plumb under the sink with the optional grey tank?
The factory set-up with or without the grey tank employs the sink drain/trap shown below, the rest is just routing of the tygon tubing.

Old 09-30-2015, 12:02 PM   #68

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
The trap that Floyd shows above is the same one that I have used several times on RV's with direct drains. It works "Pretty good" and takes up minimal space under the sink. It's often sold as a "Tent Trailer" drain kit and includes a flexible drain hose and an outside fitting in the kit.
Old 09-30-2015, 12:06 PM   #69

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Thanks! I assume I probably have the same, but I'll have to check.
Old 09-30-2015, 12:10 PM   #70

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I can't yet speak for how it works in my total rebuild/redesign of the Scamp 16, but the front two feet are dedicated to the bath/toilet compartment. There are also compartments to either side since the bath area is roughly 24" deep X 37" wide. Here is a shot from the rear and there is approximately 20" to the right by the door for storage (hanging and shelves when finished.

to the left is the bottom utility area where the reel for the macerating pump and the J box for the trailer wiring are. There is also an accumulator tank for water pressure.

A removable door and shelf goes over these items for later access. There is also an access door to pull the hose out for emptying the holding tanks. I have run these with water from the grey tank, but not "really" used it yet.
I give up the settee and bunk that was here, but there will only be the two of us using the trailer. This arrangement gives 6' of height in the shower area with the lower shower pan and higher center part of the roof here.
One concern is that white drain/trap underneath. I think I am going to weld up a steel skid to protect this area, but I haven't done that yet. I have a pump like the newer Scamps to pump to the grey tank. The sink to the left has the fancy no trap rig for more space. Both the sink and shower drain to the same port on the grey tank the old side shower pan drained to previously.
The macerating pump is under the floor and is fed with 1 1/2" ABS pipe from the black and grey tanks. This is hopefully the low point for the system. Both of the tanks still have the 3" drain hookups if this doesn't work out for some reason.
My wife insisted on having a bath and one that she (6') could stand up in. This arrangement does that. As a matter of fact this was what drove the decision fot the 16' Scamp in the first place. The 16' Casita did not have enough headroom for her and the 17' was heavier than what we wanted to tow with the VW.