Bathroom issues: does anyone else have this problem? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-12-2010, 10:41 AM   #15

Trailer: Casita
New River AZ
Quote:
No offense, but that just seems passive-aggressive. Tell them the trailer has just enough waste storage for you, and in any case, that you prefer it to be private. Honestly, people just don't understand boundaries, and boundaries are healthy. On the flip side, so many people are afraid of being thought of as selfish. I used to be like that, and believe me, my life is better now that I got over it. If I lost any friends, it was only the lame ones. Family will always find something else to b*tch about anyway, so I don't worry about them.

I've learned to appreciate friends who lay down their preferences out in a straightforward way. I know where I stand with them. They know where they stand with me. If they can't respect your "quirks" (at worst) and sense of self-respect, don't invite them to come camping with you. If they invited you to camp with them, well, that still doesn't mean they're entitled to your facilities.

I go on group camping events on a regular basis, and we coordinate ahead of time to figure out who will have camp showers, and if they will/won't share. Assigning someone to be in charge of community facilities/kitchens/booze/whatever in advance of the trip makes things go more smoothly, but in general, I prefer to be self-reliant and not have to worry about it.

Sorry about the rant, but I'm getting ready for a big camping trip, so all of this is foremost on my mind.
I was just getting ready to say If they stop being your friend over this they are not really your friend and no great loss but you said it so much better.
Joe

Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:56 AM   #16

Trailer: 1998 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / Red F150 X-Cab
Thanks to all of you for your suggestions, both posted here and PM'd to me. I love my friends, we've been friends for near to 20 years in some cases and they work as hard around the campsite as I do, probably harder. I don't mind them using my bathroom, it's just the holding tank issue. Brian, I think your suggestion is the one I'm most comfortable with--get a portable tank to empty the black tank when it gets full and enlist their help in doing it. I've needed one in the past from time to time anyway. Thanks again everyone for your help.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:58 AM   #17

Name: Linda and Dale and Dallas the cat
Trailer: 1984 Fiber Stream
California
Just let them know that this is important to you, to let the camping be fun for you too. The portable idea should really help and if the kids are assigned the job of daily empty duty it may never get used. They may find the public one easier to use.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:40 PM   #18

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Florida
Registry
My friends and I sometimes share refrigerator space, but I've never had anyone to ask about sharing holding tank space....

Little kids don't know the difference between a holding tank toilet and the vault toilet, except that one's closer. Probably just a little conversation (or two) or asking them to help with dumping (!) will handle everything.

That said, when I was little, I was totally afraid of falling down the toilet "hole" in the parks. I was a skinny little runt, then...
Sherry
Old 07-12-2010, 06:58 PM   #19

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
Quote:
That said, when I was little, I was totally afraid of falling down the toilet "hole" in the parks
This quite common. I clean vaults daily, and the ones that have kids near them always seem to have little p[eople "Presents" on the floor, of both kinds. Its dark, its smelly and they are scared.. they do what they need to do as quickly as possible and the floor seems the best option for their little brains. Too bad parents don't pay attention.

As a camphost, I clean up more children poo than dog poo. Odd, but true.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:02 PM   #20

Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft
Lying is not an option as it just creates an opportunity for distrust. You don't want your family or friends not trusting you. Especially over a toilet.

Be honest. My suggestion would be to set rules before you travel so that there is no misunderstanding about the use of your RV facilities once you're there. I mean the washroom is a very personal thing and some people are simply not comfortable sharing one with others. I know I am. I'm sure they'll understand if they are reasonable people.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:14 AM   #21

Name: Rick & Rei
Trailer: 1970 Campster
Kansas
Tell them `sorry`but they cannot use your toilet, then keep the camper locked. Thats what we do. You do not need to give any reasons for your decision.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:53 PM   #22

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
Lying is not an option as it just creates an opportunity for distrust. You don't want your family or friends not trusting you. Especially over a toilet.
Darn! And I was going to suggest telling the little darlings that they were welcome to use the bathroom, but to be careful about the {a} poisonous snakes, {b} hornets, {c} jellyfish, or {c} all of the above living in the toilet!
Old 07-13-2010, 10:03 PM   #23

Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft
Hey Bob...what's stopping you from putting your pets in there anyway?
Old 07-14-2010, 10:08 PM   #24

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Try the ways to not use as much water.

Do not use the water pump.

Get a 1 quart hand sprayer and put in about 1/4 lid of liquid laundry Detergent. Pretreat always. Use to clean after use. This will keep the long term smells down.

Get a 1 quart container to put water in for flush. No more is needed, usually less. No Water is used for pee, just spray with the soap bottle. You may want to just get a pee bottle and empty in the vault.

You will get a lot of solids this way. You will need to dump early and then put in some ice and water and travel 30+ miles and dump again. Adding 1/4 cup laundry detergent will help keep smelling clean before the dump. The same with gary water.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:43 AM   #25

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Quote:
Adding 1/4 cup laundry detergent will help keep smelling clean before the dump. The same with gary water.
Now come on, folks from Gary, Indiana, have suffered enough
Old 07-15-2010, 06:38 AM   #26

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
I too would just lay it on the line, tell them the truth of the matter, and have them find a solution to deal with it. If you are willing, the portable holding tank is not a bad idea, and the friends can be the one to haul it to the disposal site.

Heck, I opt for the campground toilets myself, whether pit or flush. I only use the one in the trailer for night time if there are no discrete trees nearby, or when stopped along the road.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote