Bathroom issues: does anyone else have this problem? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-10-2010, 11:24 PM   #1

Trailer: 1998 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / Red F150 X-Cab
I (we) like to camp with friends, usually at campgrounds without hookups, and which generally have pit toilets. Our friends usually throw a tent down on our site. The problem is, they (particularly the kids) would rather use the trailer bathroom than go use the public restrooms. This isn't a big deal if we're only staying two nights, but we often stay 4 or 5 nights and our black tank gets full long before we leave which means I end up having to go use the pit toilets too. This does not seem quite fair since part of the reason I bought a trailer was to have a bathroom, especially in the middle of the night! I'm not sure how to handle this problem without hurting our friends' feelings. Does anyone else have this problem and what do you do? Thanks!

Lisa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 05:26 AM   #2

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
When we camp with our 3 oldest granddaughters (8,6, and 4) we pitch a shower tent and put a port-a-potty inside. They don't have to leave our campsite and the potty can be emptied every other day.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:18 AM   #3

Trailer: Casita
Simply tell them no, go use the campground bathroom. The awkwardness will pass quickly and all will be good. My brothers use to show up after camp was set up and leave before camp was broke, they treaded it like a motel. When I got my Casita I told them yes you can come but you can't sleep here, can't use my shower or bathroom but you can wash your face in the lake and use the campground bathroom. Problem solved! "This is my Casita, there are many like it but this one is mine!"
Attached Thumbnails
Trip_pics_June_14_2010_030__Small_.jpg   4th_July_10_023__Small_.jpg  

4th_July_10_024__Small_.jpg  
shane n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:21 AM   #4

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe 2007
Just talk to them before hand, and tell them you have had a problem with the tank not being large enough for every one to use and still have it handle what you need for the length of stay. You are now going to use it only for your personal night potty to try to extend its availability to you. Use the pits by day and only you use the trailer by night. You can always manage to sneak in once in a while.
Terry R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:26 AM   #5

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Lisa M... Hide the "TP". When the question arises??? answer "There's plenty in the vault toilets...use it there"!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:44 AM   #6

Trailer: R-Vision
People can only take advantage of you if you let them. If they want
potty facilities they are free to purchase something to fit their needs.
As mentioned before, explain the holding tank capacity and camp
guilt free.
Mike Ames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:06 AM   #7

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I, too, would just explain that the camper holding tank is not large enough to accommodate everyone, and ask the friends to use the campground facilities.

Not that you need to justify it (and I wouldn't; I would just be pleasant and factual), but between us, it's not like they are already in your camper at night. They are already in a tent and having to get up and out to go anyway, whether they go to your camper or not.

I also would not "sneak" into my own rig during the day. It's yours, you shopped for it, bought it, maintain it, and tow it. You should be able to use the bathroom in it whenever you want to, without any sneaking or guilty feelings. Your friends could also choose to buy a camper with a bathroom.

If they don't like the public facilities, and if they are receptive to ideas from you, you might suggest a Porta Potti and a privacy tent, or WAG bags as possible options.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:17 AM   #8

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
I (we) like to camp with friends, usually at campgrounds without hookups, and which generally have pit toilets. Our friends usually throw a tent down on our site. The problem is, they (particularly the kids) would rather use the trailer bathroom than go use the public restrooms. This isn't a big deal if we're only staying two nights, but we often stay 4 or 5 nights and our black tank gets full long before we leave which means I end up having to go use the pit toilets too. This does not seem quite fair since part of the reason I bought a trailer was to have a bathroom, especially in the middle of the night! I'm not sure how to handle this problem without hurting our friends' feelings. Does anyone else have this problem and what do you do? Thanks!
A thetford 135 portapotti is compact, not too expensive, easy to maintain and fits in a tent nicely.
They could "borrow" the one , you just bought, as a "courtesy and a convenience" so they could have their own to use as long as they return it clean at the end of the trip! You might be insulted if they don't accept this "kindness"![lol]
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 01:05 PM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Registry
Quote:
A thetford 135 portapotti is compact, not too expensive, easy to maintain and fits in a tent nicely.
They could "borrow" the one , you just bought, as a "courtesy and a convenience" so they could have their own to use as long as they return it clean at the end of the trip! You might be insulted if they don't accept this "kindness"![lol]
I have this pop-up privacy tent, and I love it.
http://www.amazon.com/Outback-Porta-privy-...mp;sr=8-2-fkmr2

I agree with the above posts--it's your trailer. If you catch somebody using it, or giving you too much trouble, make a point of saying, "Sure--if you use it, you clean it/dump it/etc, and while you're at it, you can stick around and help me wash down the decks." Friend uses this tactic when folks insist on using their boat's portable john when the marina bathroom is only 50 feet away.
Michele B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 02:14 PM   #10

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
If you feel like you have waited too long to just be honest and say, that no, you need to use the camp facilities, and I don't want you using my camper, you can simply say that your facility is broken. Then use the camp ones yourself enough to make it look as if you are not using yours, or set up one of those privacy tents and use it a few times like you have to use it also, since yours is broken (You would think that if you had had to use the camp facilities that they would have realized the issue!)

Then at a later camping event, simply say that when you got it fixed, the repair person said that it needed to be used less, so offer them the outside facility or leave it by telling this story and adding that they need to use the camp facilities, so it is used less.

The clinker is if they know enough about RV plumbing to see the little white lie.

CindyL

Old 07-11-2010, 03:26 PM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Registry
Quote:
If you feel like you have waited too long to just be honest and say, that no, you need to use the camp facilities, and I don't want you using my camper, you can simply say that your facility is broken. Then use the camp ones yourself enough to make it look as if you are not using yours, or set up one of those privacy tents and use it a few times like you have to use it also, since yours is broken (You would think that if you had had to use the camp facilities that they would have realized the issue!)

Then at a later camping event, simply say that when you got it fixed, the repair person said that it needed to be used less, so offer them the outside facility or leave it by telling this story and adding that they need to use the camp facilities, so it is used less.

The clinker is if they know enough about RV plumbing to see the little white lie.

CindyL
No offense, but that just seems passive-aggressive. Tell them the trailer has just enough waste storage for you, and in any case, that you prefer it to be private. Honestly, people just don't understand boundaries, and boundaries are healthy. On the flip side, so many people are afraid of being thought of as selfish. I used to be like that, and believe me, my life is better now that I got over it. If I lost any friends, it was only the lame ones. Family will always find something else to b*tch about anyway, so I don't worry about them.

I've learned to appreciate friends who lay down their preferences out in a straightforward way. I know where I stand with them. They know where they stand with me. If they can't respect your "quirks" (at worst) and sense of self-respect, don't invite them to come camping with you. If they invited you to camp with them, well, that still doesn't mean they're entitled to your facilities.

I go on group camping events on a regular basis, and we coordinate ahead of time to figure out who will have camp showers, and if they will/won't share. Assigning someone to be in charge of community facilities/kitchens/booze/whatever in advance of the trip makes things go more smoothly, but in general, I prefer to be self-reliant and not have to worry about it.

Sorry about the rant, but I'm getting ready for a big camping trip, so all of this is foremost on my mind.
Michele B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 04:32 PM   #12

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I agree, Michele.
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:10 AM   #13

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
At my house, .... Casitas are like underwear, .... if you're gonna use 'em, ..best buy your own, .... you're not wearin' mine.
LSChilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:20 AM   #14

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Leave it to Shane to document a vault toilet! LOL!

No, my bathroom is for ME unless I have full hook ups. Its not really all that private either. Small space.. the vaults are better for those that "read" and stuff.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:41 AM   #15

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
No offense, but that just seems passive-aggressive. Tell them the trailer has just enough waste storage for you, and in any case, that you prefer it to be private. Honestly, people just don't understand boundaries, and boundaries are healthy. On the flip side, so many people are afraid of being thought of as selfish. I used to be like that, and believe me, my life is better now that I got over it. If I lost any friends, it was only the lame ones. Family will always find something else to b*tch about anyway, so I don't worry about them.

I've learned to appreciate friends who lay down their preferences out in a straightforward way. I know where I stand with them. They know where they stand with me. If they can't respect your "quirks" (at worst) and sense of self-respect, don't invite them to come camping with you. If they invited you to camp with them, well, that still doesn't mean they're entitled to your facilities.

I go on group camping events on a regular basis, and we coordinate ahead of time to figure out who will have camp showers, and if they will/won't share. Assigning someone to be in charge of community facilities/kitchens/booze/whatever in advance of the trip makes things go more smoothly, but in general, I prefer to be self-reliant and not have to worry about it.

Sorry about the rant, but I'm getting ready for a big camping trip, so all of this is foremost on my mind.
I was just getting ready to say If they stop being your friend over this they are not really your friend and no great loss but you said it so much better.
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:56 AM   #16

Trailer: 1998 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / Red F150 X-Cab
Thanks to all of you for your suggestions, both posted here and PM'd to me. I love my friends, we've been friends for near to 20 years in some cases and they work as hard around the campsite as I do, probably harder. I don't mind them using my bathroom, it's just the holding tank issue. Brian, I think your suggestion is the one I'm most comfortable with--get a portable tank to empty the black tank when it gets full and enlist their help in doing it. I've needed one in the past from time to time anyway. Thanks again everyone for your help.
Lisa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:58 AM   #17

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Just let them know that this is important to you, to let the camping be fun for you too. The portable idea should really help and if the kids are assigned the job of daily empty duty it may never get used. They may find the public one easier to use.
Linda R002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:40 PM   #18

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
My friends and I sometimes share refrigerator space, but I've never had anyone to ask about sharing holding tank space....

Little kids don't know the difference between a holding tank toilet and the vault toilet, except that one's closer. Probably just a little conversation (or two) or asking them to help with dumping (!) will handle everything.

That said, when I was little, I was totally afraid of falling down the toilet "hole" in the parks. I was a skinny little runt, then...
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 05:58 PM   #19

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Quote:
That said, when I was little, I was totally afraid of falling down the toilet "hole" in the parks
This quite common. I clean vaults daily, and the ones that have kids near them always seem to have little p[eople "Presents" on the floor, of both kinds. Its dark, its smelly and they are scared.. they do what they need to do as quickly as possible and the floor seems the best option for their little brains. Too bad parents don't pay attention.

As a camphost, I clean up more children poo than dog poo. Odd, but true.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 06:02 PM   #20

Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft
Lying is not an option as it just creates an opportunity for distrust. You don't want your family or friends not trusting you. Especially over a toilet.

Be honest. My suggestion would be to set rules before you travel so that there is no misunderstanding about the use of your RV facilities once you're there. I mean the washroom is a very personal thing and some people are simply not comfortable sharing one with others. I know I am. I'm sure they'll understand if they are reasonable people.
Time K is offline   Reply With Quote