Battery help please. - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-25-2015, 02:30 PM   #1

Name: Mary Ann
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13' Deluxe
Minnesota
Battery help please.

I have a 92 and it has 4 wires going to the battery. I know red is usually positive and black negative but I'm totally confused with the 4 wires. I did not disconnect it so I don't know where they all go.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

God's Country, Minnesota
Mary Ann in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 02:43 PM   #2

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
STOP.....
In this case ya gotta trace each wire back to either a ground (which is usually a short wire near by, or to some sort of load. Several of those wires are not original from the looks of the crimped on wrong size terminals. Hard telling what a previous owner did, trace them back before connecting or you could have a problem, even a fire. ..... BTW: In 12 Volt systems black is most often Positive..... And I'd bet that one of them is the positive lead to the 6 or 7 pin TV plug

Old 04-25-2015, 02:51 PM   #3

Minnesota
There is a #30 fuse in the yellow cable.
God's Country, Minnesota
Old 04-25-2015, 02:55 PM   #4

California
I take it that's a 30 amp fuse, making that a 90% chance of it being positive, but not 100%, because some peeps put a master fuse in the negative line. If you look in the wires in the TV cable plug I'd bet you find that yellow wire there as the charging line.
Old 04-25-2015, 03:23 PM   #5

Minnesota
I was just out there and looked at it again. Now I see that the black and white wire both have black markings an the red and yellow have red markings. I will hook them up that way with the black going to the positive.
Having that fuse in the yellow one I assume charges the battery from the TV.
Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
God's Country, Minnesota
Old 04-25-2015, 03:44 PM   #6

California
NO....
If the yellow goes to the negative post and is the charging wire, it will short out the charging line and blow the fuse when it's connect to your tow vehicle.
You really need to find out where the wires are connected. What ever markings made sense to the previous owner, but may be completely incorrect to you.
Old 04-25-2015, 04:31 PM   #7

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
I'm with Bob, DON"T DO IT UNTIL YOU KNOW FOR SURE. If connect up the charge line backwards the alternator in the tug could be damaged. I've seen it happen. You'd be better off to pay somebody to figure it out for you than pay the cost and fuss and bother of replacing an alternator. Also as Bob says don't be fooled because you can't get a shock from a 12 volt system, but can get a nice fire. Is burning up your trailer worth the risk?
Old 04-25-2015, 05:49 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Bob, Since when is red negative and black positive? I'd try ohming out between the blacks and the frame.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:56 PM   #9

California
If you look at your car you will find the (+) will often be marked red. (Old School (+) is HOT) Common practice in RV wiring is that (+) is black. This is why I never believe color codes when hooking up a battery.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:43 PM   #10

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin00 View Post
Bob, Since when is red negative and black positive? I'd try ohming out between the blacks and the frame.

Often when somebody adds wiring to something they grab what ever is handy, if they had red wire and needed to run it to the negative terminal they would do that. Many people have no understand of conventions and therefore do things are NOT standard. I wouldn't trust somebody I didn't know well to do follow any conventions, and wiring is worst. Everybody is an electrician, if you don't believe it just ask them and they'll tell how they are.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:44 PM   #11

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Bigfoot B-17 CB
Washington
I added a few wraps of red electrical tape to my positive wires when I first got my trailer. That way I'm always sure which is positive. I could just visualize myself in a situation where I'm in a hurry and make a big expensive mistake.
Old 04-25-2015, 07:00 PM   #12

Name: Richard
Trailer: Casita Independence
Maine
Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 04-25-2015, 08:44 PM   #13

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Registry
Mary Ann,

If you have no one else to help you and need to try doing something yourself, you can check a couple of things first for clues. See if either the red-marked wires (positive), or the black-marked wires (negative) are longer or shorter than each other, and reach their respective terminals without having to stretch them. Also, are any two wrapped together with tape further back in the bundle. If no help there, then this is how I would proceed to determine the correct connections.

You can identify which wire is the hot wire coming from the TV if you have a voltage tester or multimeter tester. Spread out the ends of the four wires so they don't touch each other or anything else. Then, back your TV up to the trailer and connect the 7-wire plug. Then touch the black lead from the meter to a good ground on the camper frame, and the red lead to each of the four wires, one at a time. The one that is hot is the one charging the battery from the TV. I suspect it will be one of the wires with a red mark, but you want to know for sure.

Then touch the red test lead to that positive wire and the black lead to each of the remaining 3 wires one at a time. When there is a reading or the light comes on, that is the negative wire grounded to the frame. I suspect it will be either of the wires that have a black marking.

If for any reason either the black or the white wire shows as hot when connected to the TV, then stop, since the PO messed with the wires and his markings are meaningless. Do nothing until a qualified person can help you.

That leaves you with two wires remaining unidentified, one a positive and one a negative. They provide the power and ground for the connections in the camper. Since the yellow wire has red markings also, and has the 30 amp fuse that would normally protect against excessive current draw from the trailer, my best guess is that wire is the other positive wire. Connect just that wire to the positive battery terminal. Then connect just the remaining ground wire to the negative battery terminal. You can then check to see that you have power in the camper. The lights should come on and any motors should operate normally.

If everything operates fine, you can then disconnect the ground wire, add the TV hot wire to the positive terminal, and then add the two ground wires to the negative terminal. Always connect the positive wires to the battery first, then the ground wires.

You are back in business.
Old 04-26-2015, 08:44 AM   #14

Name: Dan
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
No Shortcuts Here

The factory Scamp wiring diagram shows the following:

Black - Battery positive
White - Battery negative
Red - Left stop and brake
Yellow - Back up lights

To avoid problems, you will need to do a lot more investigating before connecting any of these wires to any source of power.

--Dan Meyer
Dan and Dawn's Scamp Travel Trailer

Tags
battery