Battery lock - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2015, 02:24 PM   #1

Name: leo J.
Trailer: 2013 SCAMP 19
Maine
Battery lock

Does any one with a scamp lock there battery? Seems like a good idea.
It's not my neighborhood in Maine that I am concerned with.
Casita is out of sight out of mind. leo
leo j. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 12:25 PM   #2

Trailer: Boler 1984
Quote:
Originally Posted by leo j. View Post

When not being used and the trailer has to be kept at a storage facility, I remove the battery and propane tanks. The battery gets a charge and they all get placed up off the ground on some 2 x 10's either in our storage shed or in an unheated garage. If they're not on the trailer then there's no temptation to remove them.
Jim

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 07:16 PM   #3

Maine
battery lock

Hello Jim,
I do take my battery out in the winter and put it on a battery maintainer now and then over the winter. I am very fortunate that the temperature in my garage does not go below freezing in the winter. My concern with the battery being locked is when we are traveling. When I read in the news paper and see on TV what's going on in the world, I am afraid I may be getting a little paranoid. My wife and I have traveled a lot over the years and have had no problems at all. We have overnight-ed at Wall Marts, Cracker Barrels and various rest areas with not a problem. Maybe the answer to my question is to stop reading the news paper and watching TV and do more Sudoku puzzles.
Thanks for the reply
See ya on the road
Leo
Old 08-31-2015, 08:25 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leo j. View Post

I use my trailer year around. I've never had a problem with anybody even attempting to remove the battery. The propane tank is bolted and takes a wrench from underneath to remove the nuts from two bolts. The battery is in a battery box so you can't see what the battery is. There's very little use for a true deep cycle battery other than boats and RVs. If somebody think that they're going to use my battery for starting their automobile, they're in for a surprise. Two posts for each terminal with wing nuts.

Short answer, I don't worry about theft period. I'll leave the worrying to Peanuts Lucy.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:00 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I just replaced my group 27 battery and carried the old one about 100' into the shop. And that's about as far as I'd be willing to go.
So, if your battery is missing just check a short distance around your trailer. You should find it.
Old 09-01-2015, 05:39 AM   #6

Name: Jay
Trailer: Boler 1300
Ontario
Registry
This was my first summer with a trailer and because I had spent so much time renovating it I was a little anxious to leave it unattended. I bought a hitch lock, which I realize was simply a visual deterrent. I also worried about my new battery on my tongue so I used a padlock and simply wrapped my tow chains over and around my battery box and locked them together. I never did this in campgrounds - I trust my fellow campers (and most other people too) but I did leave my trailer parked all alone in a tourist info centre alongside the Trans-Canada for about 8 hours While I drove out to Fort Walsh in Saskatchewan.
All it really stopped was the little what-ifs in the back of my mind while we were separated. But if it allowed me to relax and enjoy my holiday, then it was worth the effort
Jay H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 07:07 PM   #7

Maine
Thanks

Thanks folks
Between the bunch of us we have had a lot of (good times) camping in the past and from that I can tell the battery should not be a problem in the future.
Thanks again
Leo

Tags
battery