bc ferries - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-07-2012, 12:47 AM   #15

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomni View Post
Ugh...I could go on and on...it is so sad that Islanders (who were born here, we didn't choose this) are unable to visit our families on the mainland,
Grrr....
Sorry but I had a little giggle at the above. You may not have choosen to but apparently your parents or there parents did. I grew up on the island (actually 4th generation Islander) and although I loved it and still do I some how managed to escape from it.... my father on the other hand only left the Island a handful of times in the last 60 years of his life. He would only go off the island if we forced him to and only to attend weddings and funerals and it had to be a *very* close family member before he would come off the Island and it had nothing to do with the cost! ))))

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:19 AM   #16

Name: Matt and Lindsey
Trailer: 1972 Boler 1300
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H

Sorry but I had a little giggle at the above. You may not have choosen to but apparently your parents or there parents did. I grew up on the island (actually 4th generation Islander) and although I loved it and still do I some how managed to escape from it.... my father on the other hand only left the Island a handful of times in the last 60 years of his life. He would only go off the island if we forced him to and only to attend weddings and funerals and it had to be a *very* close family member before he would come off the Island and it had nothing to do with the cost! ))))
Lol! Yes...I know we go back to at least 4 (I think 5 maybe more), my grandparents ended up in Manitoba but moved back in the early 60's (thank goodness for that though!!) & my hubby's side was actually one of the first black settling families in Victoria.

Although poorly made, my point was more that we have always lived here & aren't just newbies being whiners...I always hear stories though that ferry fares used to actually be reasonable!!

I actually absolutely love it here. The main temptations to leave are housing prices & my hubby's professional opportunities. But ferry costs can cost us upwards of $400 personally (& for the dog rescue over $2000), so they are definitely a factor that restricts travel for us. It makes living in somewhere like Cranbrook very appealing; ease of travel, 10 acres and a house for the price of a 3 bedroom condo here!

We are so blessed to live in such a beautiful place, so I shouldn't complain really!!

Old 05-07-2012, 06:50 AM   #17
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
My son and I are taking a road trip to the Yukon and Alaska in a few months. We are driving up then taking the ferry down the west coast from Haines to Juneau to Prince Rupert. Cost is $1500 but the trip will be worth it.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:43 AM   #18

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Yup having family on the Island and a 16' hurts even more!!!! An even nicer State Park IMHO is Fort Casey but it does not have any power sites and its first come first serve but the sites are all on the water and beside the Keystone ferry that runs over to Port Townsend - you can walk on that ferry and spend the day in Port Townsend. I
They added hookups at Fort Casey this past fall but there are still no reservations. And not all sites have hookups.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:28 PM   #19

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
They added hookups at Fort Casey this past fall but there are still no reservations. And not all sites have hookups.
Which sites got the hook ups?
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:42 PM   #20

Name: Ron & Teresa
Trailer: 1973 Boler - "Chateau Oeuf"
British Columbia
Registry
Towing a 13ft Boler with a 4Runner is apprx. $135.00 on BC Ferries between the island and the mainland just did it not long ago. Last year using the Black Ball Ferry Line between Victoria and Port Angeles was about the same. The ferry from Sidney (outside Victoria) to Anacortes has very limited sailings, however, I don't know the cost.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:11 PM   #21

Name: Darrell
Trailer: 13 ft Ventura
British Columbia
Here's how BC Ferries applies the penalty (one way) for coming to or going from Vancouver Island with a trailer:

The passenger vehicle price is a fixed amount, approximately $50 as I recall. The vehicle can be up to 20 feet in length. Anything longer is charged $5.60 for each additional foot.

Our van and trailer length equals 30 ft. so the trailer fare/passage costs us $56.

The ticket sellers are often sceptical when we say our overall length is 30 ft., and if it's slow they come out and take a physical measurement to see for themselves.

The odd one has been pretty mean - but they shouldn't be with getting good union wages, benefits, and government job security.

Ridership on the ferries is reportedly the lowest in 20 years in spite of large population increases around the mainland and Vancouver Island terminals. BC Ferries has priced themselves above what the market will bear so discretionary travel has dropped way off, leaving commercial and other compulsory (e.g., medical) travel to support the corporation.

Any amateur economist knows that there is a point where you price your product too high and the results are diminishing sales, revenue, and profits. In recent years the corporation has morphed into a strange hybrid described as "publicly owned but private-functioning" or dysfunctioning, one might say.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:44 PM   #22

Name: Tasha
Trailer: Winnie drop hopeful, Bambi airstream, Boler 1975 AND 1980
British Columbia
Go during coast savings starting next week. it'll save you about 25$.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:38 PM   #23

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
Not unlike taking a Ferry from St. Johns, NB to Nova Scotia. I took the ferry several times in the eighties and found it reasonable. Skipped the nineties and had my socks blown off in the 21st Century with the cost increase.