BC Highway 97 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-14-2009, 11:12 AM   #1

Trailer: Casita
I was wondering if the towns on highway 97 between Chilliwack to Prince George slowed down travel.
It is one hundred miles less to go this way than through Kamloops but I know that road (arrowhead?) is wide and pretty fast.
Pulling a fully loaded castia 17.

I'll never go through Jasper again.

Old 05-14-2009, 03:53 PM   #2

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
So you may be asking the wrong question with respect to hwy #97. My home overlooks hwy #97 in the Okanagan Valley. If you are in chilliwack you will be travelling on the number 1 to Hope. It is a busy four lane divided hwy. You have the option of hwy #7 which will be a slower paced two lane road, going through towns which will decrease in size and busyness as you move east. At Hope you can travel to Cache Creek where #1 meets #97, #1 goes east and #97 goes north. #1 will be a two lane hwy, at points winding and through the Fraser canyon, with mountainous walls. It has been a long time since I travelled that road. Most traffic use #5, the Coquhailla Hwy which is four lane, divided hwy, with a significant climb. Until last fall it was a tollhwy and all the commercial trucks use this road. It does not go through any communitiies and speed limit is 110 km/h. approximately 65 mph. One can access communities by exiting the hwy to places like Merrit, Logan lake etc. People get on the hwy and go, go, go. The northen end is at Kamloops as people can choose to join up with #97/#1 and go west to Cache Creek. North of Cache Creek the hwy will likely be two lane, go through towns and the speed will be reduced going through each of these twons. In some places like Williams Lake the hwy will slow down to 60 kmh but the road will skirt the main retail and commercial part of the town but there will still be the "strip" that exists on every hwy near a town.
It has been a while that I have travelled north of Cache Creek but memories are still fresh.

You may wish to make a side trip from Quesnel to Barkerville near Wells, this is a gold rush town that has been maintained as a living history. In the peak of tourist time, people in period dress, will explain life in the town as people rushed to the area resulting in a push to become organized including roads being built and a justice system established.

If it is part of the plan to travel #97 one can travell Hope, #3 hwy to Penticton, Acess #97 and go north of vernon and follow #97 to Falkland and then #1 east of Kamlops and then #1/#97 goes to Cache creek but this would be a lot of travel out of your way and #3 from Hope to Princeton is winding, up and down.

Have some fun and stay safe.

Old 05-14-2009, 05:45 PM   #3

Name: Ches
Trailer: 1992 Kustom Koach 17 FT
British Columbia
I think Kent has put you on the right path. I am curious about your problems in Jasper. Are you reffering to the road from Jasper towards Lake Louise?
Old 05-14-2009, 06:55 PM   #4

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
I think Kent has put you on the right path. I am curious about your problems in Jasper. Are you reffering to the road from Jasper towards Lake Louise?

Thanks Kent! perfect

Chester I have seen Banff and Louise and Jasper maybe five times in my life but when I took my last trip to Prince George Mapquest found the "best route" to be highway from Calgary to PG (from southern Utah) right through the mountains. I don't know if there is any part of that highway that has a speed limit higher than 55 mph and a great deal of it is 45 mph . Slow speed limit and tons of people turning out and gawking. It is a beautiful place to visit but not the best way to get to PG IMO.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:06 PM   #5

Name: Ches
Trailer: 1992 Kustom Koach 17 FT
British Columbia
Yes now I understand. It can be troublesome in Summer. I go that way about 4 times a year, but try to avoid it in summer time if I am in a rush. I will be going that way this week end. I will take it slow and easy and enjoy the trip.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:16 AM   #6

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Like Kent said you'll be on highway 1 from Chilliwak to Hope and up to Cache Creek where you will then continue on highway 97. I did that route 2 years ago and while 97 is a two land road it's not a particularly slow trip to Prince George. There aren't that many towns you go through.
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:23 PM   #7

Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft
Hi Ron, Hwy 97 between Hope and Cache Creek is very scenic but many businesses along the way have been abandoned since the Coquihalla was built, and as you approach (probably 30k or so before on your right side north bound) Prince George I would highly recommend the Bee Lazy RV if they are still in business. It's a Mom & Pop setup that is immaculately kept.

After Hope, 100 Mile House will be your next "full" stop for good grocery selections and top up whatever you need before the final leg to Prince George. I'd say you'll likely spend 10 hours on the road from Hope to Prince George but the drive is smooth and clear for your set up.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:20 PM   #8

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Speaking of 100 Mile House, there's a nice little Muni campground to the right off highway 97. If I recall I turned before I got as far in town as the Visitors Center which is on the opposite side of the road. It was $12 dry camping two years ago.

For mileage I crossed the border above Deming, WA and it was 223 to Cache Creek where I filled up and then an additional 46 miels to 100 Mile House. I logged that I left Deming at 9:00am and arrived in 100 Mile House at 5:00pm. Now I wasn't driving very fast and stopped at several different Banks to exchange money. I did that because they have a limit as to how much they will exchange at one time plus I looked for Banks that don't charge a fee. I also stopped for about an hour where the Sun to Sea highway comes in. Nice place for ice cream and they also have a campground there but I decided to go another hour up the road.
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:10 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I used my debit card at ATMs to change money (Actually, to withdraw it from my home account in local currency) -- In my travels, I have found they generally give the best exchange rates unless smack-dab in a high-rent tourist zone.