Be careful where you look! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2006, 06:15 PM   #1

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
I made the mistake of visiting the tab-rv.com website. Now I'm being swamped with unwanted e-mails from that forum. You'd think they wouldn't want to antagonize fellow RVers, but they're sure doing it!
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 06:50 PM   #2

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
I made the mistake of visiting the tab-rv.com website. Now I'm being swamped with unwanted e-mails from that forum. You'd think they wouldn't want to antagonize fellow RVers, but they're sure doing it!
I also have the FGRV forum on AOL blocked because they send out millions of spam ads every day.
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 08:49 PM   #3

Depending wich web browser you are using, you might be able to change some settings, to prevent this behavior to happen again.
You can perhaps also turn off javascript.

Have you tried Firefox ?
http://www.mozilla.com/
It is a populare web browser that has a pretty good reputation.
Eugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 09:55 PM   #4
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
I also have the FGRV forum on AOL blocked because they send out millions of spam ads every day.
Just to be clear, this "FGRV forum on AOL" is [b]NOT FiberglassRV.com (us)!
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 11:54 PM   #5

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Quote:
I also own:
http://www.fgrv.com
and
http://www.fgrv.net
and they are not used for ANY mailings period.
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 06:31 AM   #6
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
I hate to disagree, CD, but I'm on AOL as well, and I don't get anything from this site. There ARE sites which I have a problem with, but this isn't one of them and I am on here WAY more than anywhere else.

Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 06:37 AM   #7
Suz

Registry
Just a thought:

Check "my controls" and take a look at:

Do you wish to get a board notification when you get a new personal message?

Make sure it is marked "NO" if you do not want to be notified when someone sends you a PM.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:45 AM   #8

Quote:
I hate to disagree, CD, but I'm on AOL as well, and I don't get anything from this site. There ARE sites which I have a problem with, but this isn't one of them and I am on here WAY more than anywhere else.

Please accept my humble and profound apologies. I was to quick to critize AOL and did not intend my criticism to include FGRV Forum.

My comment about blocking a site should have said Yahoo and not AOL.

To make sure everyone understands:

I do not block AOL, I block YahooGroups.

I log onto this FGRV forum on average three times a day to keep up with whats going on. I find the topics informative and helpful. I beg you please do not think badly of me for my mistake.
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 07:00 AM   #9
Suz

Registry
Quote:
... I beg you please do not think badly of me for my mistake.
No way ... in fact, we were just confused and trying to sort it out because we are very careful about that. We hate it just as much as you do.

Now yahoo groups: THAT I can relate to Even though I made sure all my settings said no e-mail etc, one still gets through sometimes.

Thanks for letting us know that we are okay and we don't have to try and help you figure out what was wrong.

Old 06-06-2006, 07:02 AM   #10
Suz

Registry
we appreciate you and all our members. Without all of you, we wouldn't be here, so we do our best to keep this site a fun and safe place for all!
Old 06-06-2006, 08:42 AM   #11
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Please accept my humble and profound apologies. I was to quick to critize AOL and did not intend my criticism to include FGRV Forum.

My comment about blocking a site should have said Yahoo and not AOL.

To make sure everyone understands:

I do not block AOL, I block YahooGroups.

I log onto this FGRV forum on average three times a day to keep up with whats going on. I find the topics informative and helpful. I beg you please do not think badly of me for my mistake.
Hey, CD. THANKS for the clarifications! We knew you weren't being spammed by us. (As Suz said, we hate that as much as you do!) But we had to wonder what spammer might be pretending to be us, ya know?

Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 12:42 PM   #12

Trailer: 78 Scamp 13 ft
I learned a bit too slow about email "precautions" when I first got online. I didn't know about email sites like Yahoo or Hotmail, and put my "real" email addy on some sites, and HOLY cow do I get spam now. BUT I also downloaded the FREE "Mailwasher" program which is AWESOME- it lets you preview all the mail while it is still on your server! Then you can even bounce back as undeliverable, and delete mail before you even let it go into your computer! I love it.

For all forums and contests, etc now, I only use my Yahoo Email. That way if you get spam from anywhere at least you let it go to the bulk bin and don't have to even see them.

I can't believe anyone uses AOL after the things I read about them! There are so many local ISPs, everyone should use them. AOL is a big fat big brother. I've read that after you use AOL, and you DO want to switch to a local provider- they have screwed up your registry so it's hard to merely drop them and just plunk in your new dial-up number. You have to go dink with your settings.

Oh another thing everyone with a computer should do is get the FREE Ad-Aware scanner, too, and get rid of all your spyware.
Deb in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 07:24 PM   #13

Trailer: Boler 17 ft
I love my Mac.

We're on Macintosh computers at work, and we do get a few spams there. At home, I get next to none.

An Apple a day keeps the spammers away!
CharlynnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 08:07 PM   #14

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
I love my Mac.

We're on Macintosh computers at work, and we do get a few spams there. At home, I get next to none.

An Apple a day keeps the spammers away!

Interesting... Could you tell us how a Mac stops spammers from sending you spam?
Old 06-07-2006, 05:45 PM   #15

Trailer: 73 Surfside 14 / '05 Magnum RT AWD
Quote:
I learned a bit too slow about email "precautions" when I first got online. I didn't know about email sites like Yahoo or Hotmail, and put my "real" email addy on some sites, and HOLY cow do I get spam now. BUT I also downloaded the FREE "Mailwasher" program which is AWESOME- it lets you preview all the mail while it is still on your server! Then you can even bounce back as undeliverable, and delete mail before you even let it go into your computer! I love it.
Now this Mailwasher sounds interesting. I would love to bump back a few, then they MIGHT delete me from their list. They play dumb when I go to the cancel part of their website and they ask so many question, I don't know the answers to they won't cancel.
Jana J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 09:53 PM   #16

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Andy Earthman
Quote:
Interesting... Could you tell us how a Mac stops spammers from sending you spam?

They dont.
Andy Earthman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 05:37 PM   #17

Trailer: 1968 Venture (Molded Fiberglass 19 ft Class A Motorhome) and 82 TranStar B+
Send a message via AIM to Penny Taylor Send a message via Yahoo to Penny Taylor
Quote:
I have never been able to find a FGRV forum on AOL. I wonder where it is ?
I know there is on Yahoo, and there is Casita, Bolerama, Trillium, U-Haul ones.
Penny Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote