Be careful with RED MAX PRO - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-04-2013, 07:20 AM   #1

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Be careful with RED MAX PRO

Take note on what this person said about RED MAX PRO.

"This unit came with every option that Casita had in 1999, It is good condition but needs a good cleaning up, I did the Red Max thing 18 months ago and the Florida sun did its thing and the red max is real blotchy. it has all the original appliances and at 14 years old all are still working just fine, I put self adjusting brakes on it with new Maxxis UE-168 trucmax commercial light truck tires 15 months ago along with a wheel bearings serviced 6 months ago, so it is mechanically sound. On the inside it is set up for two with a southern mattress. it has day/nite accordion type shades and It is ready to camp in. It has a single bar wdh and the anti sway bar. The windows are tinted, I am asking $7,000.00 for my 1999 Casita SD 17' OBO for it. photos on the Casita Forum classified"
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:42 AM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Isn't that usually caused by residual wax not being properly/completely removed before application of Red Maxx?

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:16 AM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Not necessarily, is been well documented here and on other forums that it needs to be maintained - i.e. recoated regularly.

Blotching can happen for many reasons. Rock chips, hail storm, tree sap etc or just old father time, its wasnt designed to stand up to outdoor environment & all mother nature has to throw at it.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:27 AM   #4

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Red Max Pro wasn't designed to stand up to outdoor environment. That's why I used PoliGlow,
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:24 AM   #5

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
I can confirm on my SOB with fiberglass panels, that the RedMax in the AZ sun yellowed and patches came off on the front panel only in 2years. The front panel is the part that takes the most exposure. In it's defense, the AZ sun can pretty much destroy indestructible items of any type material if left out for extended periods.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:52 AM   #6

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
I tend to go with your monocausational idea, Bob. I had "blotchy" appearance on the center section of the trolley roof in less than two years but not elsewhere and most certainly not on vertical sides. I believe my problem was residue of wax or other contaminant, possibly silicone. Carol, some on your list of causes would apply to any overcoat or finish, for instance chips from thrown gravel. I had a few new ones down around the tongue but they sure didn't produce large areas of finish loss (detected by the relatively dull appearance). Anybody know, or care, if there is extensive documentation on deterioration of appearance with PoliGlow?

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:05 PM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
Carol, some on your list of causes would apply to any overcoat or finish, for instance chips from thrown gravel.
Yup they can!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote