Old 08-22-2011, 02:19 PM   #15

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Carol,

If you pick up all the fruit that hit's the ground, do the bears simply shake the tree or pick the fruit?
The ones around my place for the most part have learned to be lazy and go from yard to yard looking for easy pickings off the ground but from time to time they do go up into the trees. They have no problem climbing trees and 6' fences. Currently have the biggest boy I have seen in my 20 years here showing up once a week the night before garbage pick up waiting for my neighbour to put her garbage out the night before - ends up with everyone on the block waking up at midnight to the sound of garbage cans being rolled down the lane way. The big guy then drags all the garbage onto my back yard and chows down. I have recently been asking her to clean it all up the next day along with his big poop piles in hopes she gets the message! :-) Myself and another neighbour have taken up shining big spot lights on him and yelling at him. He moves on. The bears often get sick from eating the garbage as well - there was a story the other day in our local paper about a guy dealing with a sick bear in his yard Eight bears killed - and counting

Its really not funny as we have already had issues this year with the bears being a little more assertive than normal due to the bad berry season (to much rain) and low snow pack - the bears are currently going on their big feeding time to stock up for winter and some have started going into houses. Sadly 8 have lost their lives in the past couple of weeks as a result (some years none have been shoot - which is the way most people here like it) they are only shoot if they have a previous record of being a problem & their behaviour is such that they do not scare away fast (normally a black bear is pretty easy to scare off).

Old 08-22-2011, 04:37 PM   #16

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Black Bears

BC has a large and thriving Black bear population.

British Columbia's black bear population is currently at an historic high. The Wildlife Branch estimates that 120,000 to 160,000 black bears live in British Columbia, having increased from around 80,000 in 1870. (Demarchi 1999). This is nearly 30% of the 443,000 black bears in the Canadian population and approximately 15% of the 803,000 black bears in the North American population (Samuel and Jackson 2000).

The greater ability of black bears to adapt to human activities compared to that of grizzly bears has contributed to their success. Black bears have been trapped and hunted continuously by non-natives for nearly 200 years and by First Nations peoples for uncounted generations, yet populations persist in most areas. Black bears in some parts of the province may experience loss of forage as second-growth forests shade out berry producing plants and as large logs, root boles and stumps are lost for denning. These factors may lead to increased cannibalism and some localized population declines (Davis and Harestad 1996)

STATUS OF BLACK BEARS

North America

Black bears are the most common large carnivore in North America. At a recent black bear workshop for the U.S. and Canada, scientists concluded that black bears are long lived (20+ years), adaptable, highly mobile and more productive than previously thought. The current range of black bears includes all of the Canadian provinces and territories except Prince Edward Island, most of the continental United States in the less-settled forested regions and the northwestern mountains of Mexico.

Historically, black bears occupied most of North America except the treeless barrens of northern Canada and the desert regions of the southwestern United States and Mexico (Seton 1929). In Canada, black bears occupy 85% of their historic range (Kolenosky and Strathearn 1987). They have been displaced from the southern farmlands of Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba. In the United States, black bears have lost habitat wherever hardwood forests have been eliminated.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 04:54 PM   #17

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
I've just got to say this " that bites ".
Old 08-22-2011, 06:16 PM   #18

Name: Michael
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B25RQ
BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Carol,

If you pick up all the fruit that hit's the ground, do the bears simply shake the tree or pick the fruit?
Hi Honda Bears are excellent tree climbers.

Oops sorry, I re read Carol's post and she does state that.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:56 PM   #19

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Gun Discussion - Split from "Bear Damage"

The gun discussion has been split off and moved to it's own thread. If you want to talk about guns, continue that conversation in the new thread.

Gun Discussion - Split from "Bear Damage"

Discussion not involving guns can continue here.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:51 PM   #20

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
When I found myself traveling to Alaska alone, the caravan had changed the dates at the last minute, I lay awake at night thinking about a solo trip and Grizzlies. They are much bigger than the bears in the lower 48. I had heard somewhere that a Grizzly could stand 7 feet.

I was thinking, that's to the top of his head. How long are his arms?? How far around my little 13 footer can he wrap them?? Bears are very strong...could he lift it up and toss it??

So I found myself camping in populated campgrounds and RV parks on the trip rather than very rural unpopulated campgrounds and roadside rests. I had made the decision prior to the trip not to cook in my trailer. I did worry about the dog food, though. I really don't want food in the tug either, because you lose it you got no transportation. I live near Yosemite but never take my trailer there to camp, however I do know that over the years they've had bear problems with lots ripping cars open.
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:34 AM   #21

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... I can't imagine any discriminating bear wanting to claw their way into our trailer for food. It's all no sugar-no salt-no fat, and I don't even like it!!!
After the last trip my DW had to clean the entire fridge and contents due to a frozen... exploded... can of diet cola .
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 08-25-2011, 11:49 AM   #22

Name: Andy
Trailer: 1979 Ventura 13'
Alberta
All I picture is a bear havin' a feed of pizza pops and washin' 'em down with a Corona lol
Old 08-25-2011, 12:18 PM   #23

Name: Adrian
Trailer: Lance 1985~'Casita de Campo' ~23' 4"~Dinette Slide Previously: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette, Front Bath
New Mexico
Lets remember, there are hundreds, no thousands of RVs camped in bear country all the time and very few cases of them being broken into by bears. There are some simple precautions which we should do, but there is no need to be afraid to go out there and camp.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:19 PM   #24

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyGee View Post
All I picture is a bear havin' a feed of pizza pops and washin' 'em down with a Corona lol
I'm proud to say that the imbibing bears in my neck of the woods are just as cheap as I am...Corona's a bit pricey for our tastes!
Out here in the Great State of Washington, the Bear Beer of Choice is our local Rainier brand, as noted in this incident from a few years ago...
Bear Downs 36 Beers, Passes Out at Campground
Rainier the beverage of choice for thirsty black bear
Bear downs 36 beers, passes out - US news - Weird news - msnbc.com

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:41 AM   #25

Trailer: Bigfoot
Manitoba
Right, Adrian. Bears have a lot more reason to fear humans than we do to fear bears. We have black bears locally, just part of nature, so they are something we're used to. I'm more worried about going into cities.....
Old 08-26-2011, 10:02 PM   #26

Name: John
Trailer: 16' Casita
California
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
I've camped at Browns Meadow in the southern end of the Sequoia several times this year. I always see a bear or 2 when camping up there.
It's also my favorite hiking and ATV riding area.
I've never felt the need to carry a firearm. My bear spray was all I needed.
Two weeks ago a I stumbled on a marijuana farm.
I didn't know the Sequoia national Forest is on the DEAs watch list as a hot bed of drugs.
Now I go armed. The bears don't worry me but the marijuana growers do.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:22 PM   #27

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
There was a HUGE drug bust in the Mendocino National Forest while I was down there a couple of weeks ago.
Major marijuana stands eradicated and a few meth labs dismantled...

The bears have probably moved out down there due to deteriorating property values!
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:33 PM   #28

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
Pot plantations in national forests are really a big problem. Their operators are dumping horrible amounts of pesticides and fertilizers around, diverting and despoiling water sources, and generally being a terrible ecological scourge.

Pot smokers, grow your own! It's the only right thing to do. Buying from the big growers' supply chain means you're helping screw up public land.

I'm headed to Canada/newfoundland next week - Gros Morne and Terra Nova national parks - and am very very much hoping to photograph some black bear, and with some luck we won't have them as uninvited guests in the trailer for lunch.