Beautiful RVs at the Tour de France - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-23-2013, 12:16 PM   #21

Name: Angie
Trailer: In the market
Ohio
Just was at a Tour stage in France

Just spent a couple of weeks with German friends camping in France with their RV. I am guessing it is a 16 footer. We were fortunate to be at a Tour stage - extremely exciting.

I agree with the idea that you don't see many trailers parked along the Tour route because of the difficulty in parking large vehicles there. We were towing a trailer, and we just drove our car to the route and set up shop. My German buddies would never consider towing the trailer there because it would be impossible to park it. There are no prohibitions against doing this; it is just very, very difficult.

The mountain stages are another game, but generally it is easy to scope out the route and be a spectator.

I can also say that there is no shortage of smaller trailers generally in Europe. We were at four different campgrounds and saw them from all over the UK, Holland, Germany, and France. I will say, however, that the percentage of motor homes may be growing as is the the overall size of RV's generally. Each time I am there I learn a ton about small RV's.
angangang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:01 PM   #22
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
This thread needs a Like button. So many comments to agree with.

We're also fans of Le Tour-on-tv: where I live it's 100+ degrees (F) already and hanging out watching coverage of the race through the (mostly) French countryside just seems like a very sane pursuit.

(Sigh) Now going through withdrawal... I guess it's time to go camping!
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:14 PM   #23

Name: Rosemary
Pennsylvania
Angie, how exciting to have seen the tour live. It was a smart decision to just take the car. I would be interested in knowing if most of the RVs you saw in the campgrounds were motorized or trailers?

Mary, I am with you, watching the Tour made living in the heat wave a little more bearable. But while you go camping, all I do is go back to work.
Seamstress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:56 AM   #24

Name: Angie
Ohio
RV's in Europe

If more RV's in Europe are trailers vs. motorized --- that is hard to say. "Motorized" would include units such as a VW camper van and similar; these are very popular. I was surprised at the number of families which were vacationing just with a tent although the weather was fantastic. Because we were in the Loire Valley which has an unbelievable network of bike paths, there were always several bikers camping in small tents in every campground.

I would probably still say that trailers are more popular than the motorized units.
angangang is offline   Reply With Quote