beautiful weekend in georgia - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-29-2008, 07:57 PM   #1

Trailer: 1973 Play Pac
Registry
Exclamation

what a beautiful weekend at Red Top Moutain State Park in Cartersville, Ga. very depressing though how low lake level is.
Attached Thumbnails
HPIM0060.JPG  
ricky w. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:34 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe / 2000 4Runner Lmtd
Quote:
what a beautiful weekend at Red Top Moutain State Park in Cartersville, Ga. very depressing though how low lake level is.
And last weekend was wonderful at Vogel State Park near Blairsville, GA. It was cold, about 15 degrees on Sunday morning, but the snow made it a fabulous trip.

CookieDog and Sherri

Click image for larger version

Name:	img_0113a.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	11531
sherri s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 07:06 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Thanx, Ricky and Sherri for your great campsite photos! Too much snow for the Geezers, however. Really like the selection of the Play Pac pic for the Home Page, too. Stay warm, all - L 'n D
Old 01-30-2008, 09:24 PM   #4

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 16 ft
[quote]And last weekend was wonderful at Vogel State Park near Blairsville, GA. It was cold, about 15 degrees on Sunday morning, but the snow made it a fabulous trip.

CookieDog and Sherri

Attachment 11531

Curious what you do to prevent pipes freezing when camping with temps in the teens.
wildbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 12:12 AM   #5

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
Nice photos! I used to live in the mountains of north Georgia (Ellijay). For some reason, I never visited Red Top Mountain State Park. Vogel was always one of my favorites, though. That one and Unicoi.

I, too, camp in cold weather with my Casita. I've never had a problem with freezing pipes, even when temps dipped into the teens. Is it because of the furnace? Not sure.

<div align="center">
Click image for larger version

Name:	casita_winter.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	220.9 KB
ID:	11541
</div>
<div align="center">At the Elkmont Campground, Great Smoky Mountains National Park, November 2007. Upper teens.</div>
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 06:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Curious what you do to prevent pipes freezing when camping with temps in the teens.
This is my first winter with the Casita, so I took the recommendations of most on the boards and winterized (RV antifreeze, etc), but I keep a container of water inside. I use it for cooking but do not use the sink, and use it for the toilet. I poured antifreeze (not sure how much, I didn't measure it) in the black tank and then emptied it when it was above freezing when I got home. I did keep it warm inside and kept the storage doors open or cracked most of the time. I probably overdid it, but I wanted to be safe over sorry. As I experiment with taking it out in the low temps, I expect to get more comfortable and refine what is actually needed to be safe from freezing pipes.

Sherri and the CookieDog
Old 01-31-2008, 06:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Nice photos! I used to live in the mountains of north Georgia (Ellijay). For some reason, I never visited Red Top Mountain State Park. Vogel was always one of my favorites, though. That one and Unicoi.

I, too, camp in cold weather with my Casita. I've never had a problem with freezing pipes, even when temps dipped into the teens. Is it because of the furnace? Not sure.
Bob,
I have heard a lot of good things about Elkmont, but I camp and hike with my dog and since dogs aren't allowed on the trails in GSMNP, I haven't been there.

SS
Old 01-31-2008, 03:19 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
You can still do some walking in Elkmont area because up the road from the CG is the area of former summer homes that the NPS is is buying out so you can walk those roads.

Side note: Near Elkmont is an NPS maintenance station and firing range and it that area is the pit where they keep the incorrigible bears
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 06:25 PM   #9

Trailer: 1973 Play Pac
Registry
Quote:
Thanx, Ricky and Sherri for your great campsite photos! Too much snow for the Geezers, however. Really like the selection of the Play Pac pic for the Home Page, too. Stay warm, all - L 'n D

How cool. Almost fell out of my chair when i saw my camper on the homepage. They have almost 90 spots at Red Top but there was only 5 campers in the whole park. Felt like i had the entire park to myself. Happy glassin'. Ricky W
ricky w. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 09:01 PM   #10

Quote:
This is my first winter with the Casita, so I took the recommendations of most on the boards and winterized (RV antifreeze, etc), but I keep a container of water inside. I use it for cooking but do not use the sink, and use it for the toilet. I poured antifreeze (not sure how much, I didn't measure it) in the black tank and then emptied it when it was above freezing when I got home. I did keep it warm inside and kept the storage doors open or cracked most of the time. I probably overdid it, but I wanted to be safe over sorry. As I experiment with taking it out in the low temps, I expect to get more comfortable and refine what is actually needed to be safe from freezing pipes.

Sherri and the CookieDog
The Great Smoky Mountains NP is just about my favorite place on Earth. No dogs allowed on the trails. I think the only exception they make is for thru-hikers on the Applachian Trail, and they must stay on the AT.

As a mailman, I'm not a fan of dogs, so I quite like the no-dogs policy of the park.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:56 AM   #11

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Ricky...
Seen your trailer on the Homepage and really liked it alot. Glad i found this post as i now know it's a "Play Pac" Do they still make them?____
Great Looking Campsite....Can't wait for spring

Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 02:55 PM   #12

Trailer: Play Pac ('Egg Krate')
Quote:
... Glad i found this post as i now know it's a "Play Pac" Do they still make them?____
Great Looking Campsite....Can't wait for spring

Joe
Hi Joe. Welcome to the board. The Play Pac is not made any longer. They are really neat little trailers. You may be able to find one, or you may find another type you like better.

Old 02-02-2008, 08:29 AM   #13

Quote:
The Great Smoky Mountains NP is just about my favorite place on Earth. No dogs allowed on the trails. I think the only exception they make is for thru-hikers on the Applachian Trail, and they must stay on the AT.

As a mailman, I'm not a fan of dogs, so I quite like the no-dogs policy of the park.
Bob, completely understand your stance on dogs. I'm a dog owner (or I think I'm the owner) and I enjoy going along with the dog on hiking trips. She loves it and I enjoy taking her. I was around Long Creek Falls (just north of the southern terminus) on the A.T. a couple of years ago when another unleashed dog charged me and the CookieDog. It scared me and certainly frightened Cookie. The owner did finally restrain his dog, but I can see why many don't like dogs on the trail.
As for the thrus, I believe that they have to make arrangements for the dog to be shuttled to where the hiker will be exiting the Park.

SS and CD
Old 02-03-2008, 09:27 AM   #14

Quote:
Bob, completely understand your stance on dogs. I'm a dog owner (or I think I'm the owner) and I enjoy going along with the dog on hiking trips. She loves it and I enjoy taking her. I was around Long Creek Falls (just north of the southern terminus) on the A.T. a couple of years ago when another unleashed dog charged me and the CookieDog. It scared me and certainly frightened Cookie. The owner did finally restrain his dog, but I can see why many don't like dogs on the trail.
As for the thrus, I believe that they have to make arrangements for the dog to be shuttled to where the hiker will be exiting the Park.

SS and CD
Cool. I wasn't aware that they didn't even allow dogs for thru-hikers in the Park. I do a lot of dayhiking and section hiking in the GSMNP, and I don't recall ever encountering a dog, so I should have figured as much.

I don't hate dogs. I quite like them, in fact. I just don't like encountering unleashed aggressive dogs either when I'm working or when I'm hiking. I've been bitten three times. Once is quite too many. And, yes, all three times I was bitten by a dog that, the owner assured me, "doesn't bite". They all bite. The last one who bit me was a very small dog--the little bugger got me a good one on the ankle. Alas! I almost had to laugh while he was spitting out pieces of my sock which got lodged in his teeth. Still had to get a tetanus shot, and the dog had to be impounded for two weeks for observation. Not good for either of us, nor for the distraught owner. (Well, as you said, I think the human is the owner.)

Old 02-03-2008, 01:48 PM   #15

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
(Well, as you said, I think the human is the owner.

Owner and leader of the pack might be two different things. Dogs are pack animals with a pack leader. If the owner chooses to let the dog be the pack leader then there's probably going to be troubles of some sort or another. If the owner will establish himself/herself as the pack leader things will improve.

I saw an interesting method to do this. Go a large open area, when the dog starts to go in one direction go away from the dog. After you've done this a bit apparently the dog begins to understand that you (owner) are the pack leader. As will all animal training things need to be re-enforced from time to time.