Bed-Comfort Mattress - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2011, 07:12 PM   #1

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
Bed-Comfort Mattress

Still new to this site as I ponder what I really want in my new 13 ft Scamp prior to placing my order. I plan on getting the Deluxe with a front dinette. Therefore, I will be using the rear dinette as a full time bed. My question of the moment is what do other "eggaphiles" use for a mattress or mattress cover to make the seat cushions more comfortable? Will any standard size mattress provide a good fit with the rounded corners in the back? Also, interested in hearing from any body that has bought a new Scamp and has experienced build flaws in their new trailer like the gentleman that bought a trailer with water lines not connected and an off set roof. P.S. So glad to have found this site with nice members willing to pass on a wealth of ideas gained from experience.
Bill in Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:23 PM   #2

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Matress Topper

We use a memory foam mattress topper. 2" seems to be enough for us, though in one rig we had 4 inches. We simply cut a topper to fit.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:41 PM   #3
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
We use an imitation feather bed (fiber filled) on top of the cushions in our Casita. Like sleeping on a cloud.

One reason we use it, though, is we roll our bed up during the day, and use the bed area as a sort of sofa. The rolled feather bed forms the back rest.

YMMV, since you plan to leave yours as a bed all the time.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:06 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Pittsburgh View Post
Still new to this site as I ponder what I really want in my new 13 ft Scamp prior to placing my order. I plan on getting the Deluxe with a front dinette. Therefore, I will be using the rear dinette as a full time bed. My question of the moment is what do other "eggaphiles" use for a mattress or mattress cover to make the seat cushions more comfortable? Will any standard size mattress provide a good fit with the rounded corners in the back? Also, interested in hearing from any body that has bought a new Scamp and has experienced build flaws in their new trailer like the gentleman that bought a trailer with water lines not connected and an off set roof. P.S. So glad to have found this site with nice members willing to pass on a wealth of ideas gained from experience.
The rounded corners will interfere with a good fit for a fullsized mattress.
If you use the stock cushions as a base, then you might use that wonderful "fiberfill" topper (see MaryF's comment above)sold at WalMart... I have a quilted memory foam topper which was custom modified to fit, but that fiberfill thing is even nicer!
We once bought a foam mattress for a refit trailer, then opened the stitching on two corners, reshaped the foam to fit , then resewed the cover, It looked factory made and worked great.
I have a pre-fire 2004 Scamp 13 deluxe which was nearly perfect at delivery and has proven to remain so for the last 7 years and 50,000 towed miles. It is one purchase which I can honestly say that I have not regretted for a single moment.
I have refitted , repaired or modified dozens of Scamps, and seen many more new ones over the years, and while not all were completely without problems,nearly every owner of which I am aware, is giddy with satisfaction and appreciation of Scamp's value. Of course some people would complain if you hanged them with a new rope!
One thing of which I am completely confident...nobody does a better custom interior, and you will absolutely love it.
Mine is oak with a front head/shower combo, and it makes me feel rich when I'm inside, like going below on a fine sailing vessel.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:20 PM   #5

Trailer: 1980 17 ft Boler (named Beatrice)
Send a message via MSN to Kathy L
two inch memory foam and used the cushions as a template to shape it for the round corners.. best sleep ever... still doesn't make the bed easy to make but the sleep is worth the effort.. cheers
Kathy L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:34 PM   #6

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy L View Post
two inch memory foam and used the cushions as a template to shape it for the round corners.. best sleep ever... still doesn't make the bed easy to make but the sleep is worth the effort.. cheers
Our quilted memory foam makes the bed easy to make, in fact it practically makes itself. It is made into a bedroll in the daytime, with a custom made fitted sheet. to make the bed you simply remove the velcro straps and it unfolds with the bottom sheet in place, no tucking or crawling around...
Attached Thumbnails
b003.JPG   b004.JPG  

b006.JPG   Eggy-Sue inside 004.jpg  

Old 09-01-2011, 10:37 PM   #7

Trailer: 1980 17 ft Boler (named Beatrice)
Send a message via MSN to Kathy L
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Our quilted memory foam makes the bed easy to make, in fact it practically makes itself. It is made into a bedroll in the daytime, with a custom made fitted sheet. to make the bed you simply remove the velcro straps and it unfolds with the bottom sheet in place, no tucking or crawling around...
that is a great idea.. we cheat a bit and just leave the bed made all the time.. use the kitchen table section for our sitting area when needed LOL
Kathy L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:02 AM   #8

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
When I bought my Burro, a PO had made a one piece mattress from 3 or 4'" thick foam and covered it (as well as the cushions for the front bench/dinette) with off-white vinyl. It's almost thick enough as is, but tends to be a little hot and "sticky" to sleep on. Adding a 1-2" memory foam pad covered with a slipcase style sheet should make my bed absolutely cloud-like!

I like to sleep under a duvet... an old habit I picked up in Hungary years ago, so that will form the top of my bedding combination, and both could easily be rolled or folded if I want a big sofa lounge on rainy days or whatever. The Frog will be snug as a bug in a rug!

There are such great ideas on this forum!!

Froggie
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:42 AM   #9

Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
I've been using a 3" memory foam topper on top of the base cushions, but I find it a bit too soft and hot. Then I tried an Ikea foam mattress without the stock cushions, and it was just right (a permanent bed set up).

I noticed some trailers have blinds (in Floyd's pics above). How do they attach to the windows, and do they flop around when driving?
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 12:08 PM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
On the CasitaForum and CasitaClub it appears a number of owners have purchased custom made mattresses from Casita Travel Trailer Mattress | Southern Mattress

I would suppose if you have some other brand of trailer, they'd make one to fit your trailer too.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 12:51 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasE View Post
I've been using a 3" memory foam topper on top of the base cushions, but I find it a bit too soft and hot. Then I tried an Ikea foam mattress without the stock cushions, and it was just right (a permanent bed set up).

I noticed some trailers have blinds (in Floyd's pics above). How do they attach to the windows, and do they flop around when driving?
The blinds in mine are aftermarket and they are attached to the cupboards above.
I made some little catches for the bottom which hold the blinds securely in transit, or against the window for added privacy. Also, we often just travel with the blinds latched all the way open.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:20 PM   #12

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
I didn't want a bed that was also a dinette. I never really liked my bed in the scamp, even though I had a memory foam topper on it That's why I went with the lil snoozy. It's bed is a full-time queen sized bed
Ruth G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:38 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth G View Post
I didn't want a bed that was also a dinette. I never really liked my bed in the scamp, even though I had a memory foam topper on it That's why I went with the lil snoozy. It's bed is a full-time queen sized bed
Notice that the original post involved using the dinette as a full-time bed, since they have a front dinette.
Your lil Snoozy is a nice trailer, apparently well made and comfortable, Could you tow it with a 4CYL compact SUV and get mid twenties MPG?
No matter, I won't be trading off my Scamp 13 deluxe front bath anytime soon. I always really liked it.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:53 AM   #14

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Of course some people would complain if you hanged them with a new rope!
I resemble that remark.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:51 AM   #15

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I added the 2" memory foam and made a slip cover for it using one double flat sheet ( width of a double sheet is enough to allow you to cut out the two sides for the foam if you cut it sideways not length wise) so the foam stays clean if I need to stow it away. Big improvement on comfort.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 05:00 PM   #16

Name: Laura
Trailer: Winnebago
Iowa
Quote:
I like your idea about the quilted memory foam mattress, and make the bottom sheet to fit it. How thick is the memory foam and where did you purchase it?
Thanks,
Laura
Laura June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 05:29 PM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura June View Post
I like your idea about the quilted memory foam mattress, and make the bottom sheet to fit it. How thick is the memory foam and where did you purchase it?
Thanks,
Laura
THEN..
Ours is a cloth covered, edged and machine quilted memory foam topper, bought at Camping world. It holds it's shape better than plain memory foam.
IT claims to be 2" thick, but I think that is probably the raw memory foam before it was sewn. It has a "grippy" underside which keeps it in place.
I'm not sure it is still available. Ask at Camping World.

NOW..
This is as close as I can find (in two minutes) to what we have, but it is not the exact product. We have had ours for several years so maybe ours is no longer available ...
Peaceful Dreams Mattress Toppers - Product - Camping World

We've got one of these on our Stearns and Foster at home and it is VERY comfy...
Walmart.com: Dreamy Nights Fiberbed Mattress Topper: Furniture

Another approach would be to shape a raw topper then sew two flat sheets together with one open end, like an envelope, to hold the foam, IT should still fold or roll up.
Old 09-03-2011, 05:51 PM   #18

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I purchased a futon bed mattress from Wallyworld, it came rolled up and I merely took it inside and cut the string, viola, new bed.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:16 PM   #19

Name: Andy
Trailer: 1979 Ventura 13'
Alberta
We have the cheapest 3" foam topper on the dinettein the Ventura and it is mocomfortable than the queen size pillow top in our "monster" TT. Go figure.
AndyGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 02:14 PM   #20

Name: Laura
Trailer: Winnebago
Iowa
mattress toppers

Quote:
THEN..
Ours is a cloth covered, edged and machine quilted memory foam topper, bought at Camping world. It holds it's shape better than plain memory foam.
IT claims to be 2" thick, but I think that is probably the raw memory foam before it was sewn. It has a "grippy" underside which keeps it in place.
I'm not sure it is still available. Ask at Camping World.

NOW..
This is as close as I can find (in two minutes) to what we have, but it is not the exact product. We have had ours for several years so maybe ours is no longer available ...
Peaceful Dreams Mattress Toppers - Product - Camping Worl

We've got one of these on our Stearns and Foster at home and it is VERY comfy...
Walmart.com: Dreamy Nights Fiberbed Mattress Topper: Furniture

Another approach would be to shape a raw topper then sew two flat sheets together with one open end, like an envelope, to hold the foam, IT should still fold or roll up.

Hi Thanks for all the help. I will check these out
Laura
Laura June is offline   Reply With Quote