bed design/floorplan design - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2008, 09:04 AM   #1

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Prompted by the topic "How do you sleep" I am wondering why most trailers have their beds curb side to street side, while others are fore and aft. What are the benefits and con's of different sleeping arrangemnts and if you could design the ideal floor plan what would it look like for you. I am curious what people consider a good floor plan and a poor one, recognizing that each floor plan needs to meet individual needs.

For ourselves, we like a wider bed and do not like it one if one has to crawl over another for the mid-night trips to the toilet.
Kent I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 09:12 AM   #2

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
Prompted by the topic "How do you sleep" I am wondering why most trailers have their beds curb side to street side, while others are fore and aft. What are the benefits and con's of different sleeping arrangemnts and if you could design the ideal floor plan what would it look like for you. I am curious what people consider a good floor plan and a poor one, recognizing that each floor plan needs to met individual needs.

For ourselves, we like a wider bed and do not like it one if one has to crawl over another for the mid-night trips to the toilet.
I don't know much about why other trailers are like they are but remember in our little trailers a lot of floor space is sacrificed for the large bed. I wanted some of it back so I turned the bed sideways and made it only four feet wide (since it is me and some corgis, not me and a 6 foot tall husband.) That gave me two seats and floor space to walk into the sleeping area (I leave it permanently as a bed.)

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 01:31 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
I am wondering why most trailers have their beds curb side to street side...
Historically, given the 80" width (Less than 7') of the vehicle, and the fact that a "Double" bed is the largest single piece of furniture in a travel trailer, you get the most out of what limited space is available with the port-to-starboard placement at one end of the trailer.

Quote:
...while others are fore and aft.
This is probably better suited for the possibility of "Twin" single beds, such as found in Lucy & Desi's "Long, Long, Trailer" and many Airstream designs that put the Bedroom midships and a large full bathroom aft.

Quote:
... if you could design the ideal floor plan what would it look like for you.
Personally, I am very happy with my Fiber Stream which is quite similar to Casita's Liberty Deluxe. Having a slightly larger bathroom at the end of the trailer, rather than a smaller one to the side, is a better choice for me. The multiple choices for configuring the combination dinette/bed area make for really efficient use of limited space. Keeping the overall trailer length within 16' is a big plus here in California with cheaper PTI license plates.