Bed sizes in scamp/casita - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-19-2014, 08:26 PM   #1

Name: Karen
Trailer: 1975 1300 Trillium
Michigan
Registry
Question Bed sizes in scamp/casita

I am actively looking for a 16 or 17 foot FG trailer to buy used. We would like to spend 2-3 months traveling during the winter with it, primarily in the southwestern part of the country. We own an adorable vintage trailer now but two things I want, well, make that three or four! But most importantly, I want to keep my bed made up, and be able to sit some where else... So the Scamp 16 foot deluxe Or the Casita freedom 17 foot would give me all I need/ want. But I cannot find any discussions on the actual size of the bed. Real numbers! My husband and I are average size but like a bigger rather than smaller bed. Anyone know where I can get those figures? The websites only say, bed or queen bed. That could mean anything. let me know if or where I can get that info.

Thanks. Karen
kbingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:39 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Well, with the Casita... there's a big difference between the SD, FD and Liberty. If my remember-er is right the SD has the smallest bed (dinette) the FD has a bit bigger bed (captains chairs dinette) and the Liberty can give you a King Size bed and separate eating. BUT, each also weigh more as you go up.

Be careful, the Scamp deluxe doesn't necessarily mean a separate eating area. You want a Layout 6 or 7 not necessarily a "deluxe," which means wood interior.

Here's a really old thread: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ize-22546.html
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:38 PM   #3

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Van Camper
New Brunswick
Spirit Deluxe is Casitas biggest seller.. Main dinette can be left up as full time bed and still have the small 2 person dinette.. The model with with the captains chairs has same size bed and you lose the storage space normally under the side dinette.
The Liberty has a king size bed... Or bed and dinette however in that configuration you have to squeeze by the dinette to get to the back.. The Liberty does have the nicest kitchen layout..
I know you wanted sizes but my trailer info is either in the truck or the Casita.. If no one chimes in with sizes I'll check tomorrow.
Briantb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:48 PM   #4

I THOUGHT the Casita SD has a 48" wide bed and the FD has a 54" wide bed.... hummmm
Old 02-19-2014, 09:50 PM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
There is an old thread called Bed Size which lists a lot of the sizes.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:53 PM   #6

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
We have the Casita 17 SD and it is the 54 wide we really like it.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:05 PM   #7
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I THOUGHT the Casita SD has a 48" wide bed and the FD has a 54" wide bed.... hummmm
Donna, I THINK the bed size in a 16 ft. SD/FD is 48" wide, while the bed size in the 17 ft. SD/FD is 54" wide. (In our 17 ft. Liberty we use the bed in the full -not king- size, and it's 54" wide. When we had the 16 ft. Liberty, we were forced to make up the "king," because the full bed was just 48".)
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:09 PM   #8

THANKS MARY! Gosh, I knew I had read there was a difference. So, it's not about the model as much as the SIZE. What a difference that foot makes...
Old 02-20-2014, 07:58 AM   #9

Michigan
Registry
More info needed.

thanks all....a few more questions to clear it up.

Scamps- deluxe doesn't mean the bigger bed, as in 54 inches? Just wood? So I can look for a std. Scamp and make sure it's a 5 or 6 plan? Confusing to me.

Casitas- I'm leaning to the 17 foot freedom as I like the idea of the chairs AND the 54 bed. The liberty looks like if you have the bed opened up, there is no place to sit and eat or whatever so big bed but at a cost? It is hard for me know by looking at pictures only.

We were looking at an Oliver used but the bed is only 48 inches. I really know that we need space....that 6 inches will be crucial. Ha ha

Thanks all....there is so much to figure out before you buy so we are doing all our homework so that when one comes up, we are ready to pounce. I like having a few to choose from as long as they have my must haves, one of those of course is bed size.

Karen
Old 02-20-2014, 08:28 AM   #10

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe 2007
Karen, we have a 2007 17 SD Casita. I researched and researched, the bed sizes when looking at the length we purchased. At the time, I found the 17 ft. Casita to be the only one to give a true, full 54 inch or larger back bed area. Liberty is the only 17 ft. length with larger bed.

That 6 inches sealed the deal for us. We went with the SD instead of the Freedom, because we wanted the option of the extra bed, which we have since arranged into an optional sofa, by day, bed by night scenario. Or, when it is just the two of us and we are on the road needing a place to eat, we opt for the dinette set up, and leave the side bed set up at home.

We prefer sitting and eating outside, so the bench type seat at the table does not bother us. When forced inside for a time, a throw pillow makes the bench just fine.

With the chair dinette setup of the Freedom, storage is lost as well as third person sleeping option. terry r.
Terry R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:51 AM   #11

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
You may also want to check out some of the Escape products. Sounds like the 17B or the 19 would fill your requirements, however, they are sometimes more difficult to pick up used than the Casitas or Scamps.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:21 AM   #12

Michigan
Registry
Thanks, we wouldn't go past 17 foot but I like the escape. Like the Oliver's, harder to find though. I hear what you are saying about the freedom configuration but I don't see anyone in there with us so a need for a third sleeper wouldn't come up. We have a lead right now on a 17 foot freedom in FL. (2007) Do you have any suggestions as to what all I should ask about? It has what I want as in , heater, AC, awning, water heater, for 13500.00 since I haven't been doing this for long, does that sound reasonable depending on condition?
Old 02-20-2014, 12:26 PM   #13

Registry
Karen the best thing you can possible do is attend a Fiberglass trailer rally and see as many of them as you can. Trust me the bed size may turn out to be the least on your concerns.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:44 PM   #14

Michigan
Registry
Unfortunately, we live in the UP of Michigan and do not see many rally's near here.. But, we have until next year as we are beginning the nomadic life in November. I just know they don't show up all that often so I want to be ready to pounce if need be. Thanks all. I am reading so much my eyes are getting crossed!
Karen
Old 02-20-2014, 02:55 PM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbingel View Post
Unfortunately, we live in the UP of Michigan and do not see many rally's near here..
Karen
Yup its a problem finding something near you but if you end up like many of us you may find yourself traveling on short notice across a few provinces and states to find what you really want.

There is one rally planned in Michigan as well as a couple of others not to far off the border across the line in Ontario this summer. The Fiberglass Rally Map.
Old 02-20-2014, 04:05 PM   #16

Michigan
Registry
Thanks Carol!

There is a rally in door county,WI in June. I plan on posting a reply there to introduce myself. We will either show up in our little vintage Acotty or have our own egg by then. I really am not in a hurry to buy but don't want to miss out if one i like at a good price comes under my radar. I realize we might be traveling to get one. Probably no farther than Texas however.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:30 PM   #17

Come to the Ohio rally. There are all sizes and kinds of fiberglass there. It is in Sept.

With the side dinette on the SD, You also have the option of a rear twin, with a dinette in front of it, and a side twin, should you tire of climbing over one another and still want a dinette.

I do not think the Escape 17 or 19 have as wide a bed as the Casita.

Call Casita and they will give you contacts for the different style trailers to help you decide.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:28 PM   #18

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbingel View Post
thanks all....a few more questions to clear it up.

Scamps- deluxe doesn't mean the bigger bed, as in 54 inches? Just wood? So I can look for a std. Scamp and make sure it's a 5 or 6 plan? Confusing to me.

Casitas- I'm leaning to the 17 foot freedom as I like the idea of the chairs AND the 54 bed. The liberty looks like if you have the bed opened up, there is no place to sit and eat or whatever so big bed but at a cost? It is hard for me know by looking at pictures only.

We were looking at an Oliver used but the bed is only 48 inches. I really know that we need space....that 6 inches will be crucial. Ha ha

Thanks all....there is so much to figure out before you buy so we are doing all our homework so that when one comes up, we are ready to pounce. I like having a few to choose from as long as they have my must haves, one of those of course is bed size.

Karen
A Scamp Deluxe IS a 54" bed. The new standard 13' Scamp can be ordered with the 54" bed, but I don't know if the 16' Standard can be ordered with the larger bed.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:32 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry R. View Post
I do not think the Escape 17 or 19 have as wide a bed as the Casita.
Escape:
17' Plan A has a front bed 52x77
17' Plan B has a front bed 30x77
both plans have a rear bed/dinette 49x77

The Escape 19' has a permanent queen size rear bed and front bed/dinette 44x80
Old 02-21-2014, 07:16 PM   #20

Yep, Donna, I don't think there was a 19 Escape when we were looking. Maybe it was a bigger Big Foot, and I thought it odd that a bigger trailer would not have a bigger bed. Then again, my memory is not as good as it used to be.

Thanks for catching that. I have even wished for the 19 Escape because of the bed, duh! terry r.

Tags
scamp