Been a long time... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2014, 11:43 PM   #21

Name: Leonard
Trailer: not yet
California
Read that white bears can catch more fish as the fish have a harder time spotting them against a generally light sky. Glad to know you have the nicer variety of bears around, not the generally less nice brown bears. I've spent several weeks this year around Sitka enjoying the beautiful rain forest, but having to keep an eye out.

Love your tale about Butedale. I found some of your earlier posts on the wooden boat forum. What an absolutely riveting read! If you start a weekly blog be sure to post a link here (please!).
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 12:01 AM   #22

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Cory, aside from being a great storyteller, you are absolutely a fabulous photographer. What are you shooting with?
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 12:05 AM   #23

Trailer: 1972 Boler 13 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by papa-t View Post
Cory, do you do any prospecting for gold there? Great pictures.
Thank you! And; Oh no; you didn't! As a matter of fact...

Not yet! Buuuut, here's another neat tidbit for ya's

Back in the early years of Butedale (1930's) there were two persons living near Butedale whom actually had nothing to do with the town. They were just, there. No-one knew why they were there; though some hypothesis were tossed around at the time. First, there was a guy living for years on Work Island near the peak of one of the 3 main hilltops on the island. It wasn't known what he did there, but the assumption was that he did some bootlegging. (Butedale was a dry town.) No other suggestions have I ever heard regarding his presence on the Island. Then, there was another man living in the dankest darkest dreary part of Butedale. (A beach across the harbor where the sun NEVER reaches due to the shape of the bay and the surrounding mountains.) No-one ever had any clue, or even any assumptions of what the heck he was doing living there. (It's a nasty spot. Dark and dank and slimy. Just nasty.) Anyways, he also lived there for years, but would take off to the South for a few weeks every so often. He was an absolute mystery man.

Until... Google Earth and Data BC led me to the correct answer.

See those little circles near the points of my arrows? I didn't put those there. Data BC did. Know what they are? ...Known Gold Occurrences... And precisely where those two mystery men were living for years. The guy on Work Island wasn't a bootlegger, he was highgrading gold! And same goes for the guy in the harbor. I could never figure out why someone would have any desire to live in Butedale's bumhole; where the sun don't shine, ever. And now I know. Gold! I haven't had the opportunity to explore that section of land yet, but come better weather; YOU BETTER BELIEVE IT! I've got my pans, and my classifier that fits on a 5 gallon bucket, and I'm just waiting for enough nice weather that I can get some work done for a few day, and still have time to spend a day or two panning the creek at that point in the harbor. If I can find the guy's tailings pile I will work on that first. He was mining illegally, so I imagine that he went for the "big" gold and would have left the bits of quartz full of wire gold behind. So yeah, I'll assuredly be doing some gold panning in the near future!

But there's something else; and for me, even more important than the gold. There may be a hotspring right on Butedale land. MIGHT. While playing with the Data BC info on Google Earth I discovered a VERY interesting correlation between the hotsprings in the area, and gold. As in; EVERY gold occurrence in the surrounding 50 miles has a hotspring associated with it. Every gold occurrence except the one on Work Island, and the one on the far side of Butedale Harbor. Now, I don't know if there is a hotspring near the gold occurrence in Butedale, but the odds look pretty darn good. So that's another thing I have to look for when the weather improves. Here's another map showing the gold occurrences and their associated hotsprings.

By gosh I hope I'm right! That'd be just so amazing! A hotspring within walking distance! Woo-hoo! (Or hopefully; woo-hoo!)

Righty then...

Cheerio!

Cory
cjlindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:36 AM   #24

Trailer: 1972 Boler 13 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Outlaw View Post
Cory, aside from being a great storyteller, you are absolutely a fabulous photographer. What are you shooting with?
Hey there outlaw! Thank you, thank you!! You may not believe it, but 90% of the pictures were taken with a 10.1 MP $100 Sony CyberShot I bought in 2009. I learned to trick the camera into getting the right lighting and contrasts by using "point exposure" and looking around the scene until I got the colors and highlights I wanted, then locked the exposure by holding the trigger 1/2 way and then moving the scene I wanted to shoot into view. (Make any sense?)

Many of my newer shots were also taken with the CyberShot, but I inherited my father's Nikon D50 when he passed 2 years ago, and have been using that for most of my pictures since I returned to Butedale. I'd still be using the Sony too, but unfortunately I tried to do a doggy-cam thing by attaching the Sony to a harness I made to go around Bud's neck. I let him out in the morning with the set-up, because I wanted to see where he went roaming in the mornings, but when he came back; no camera. I looked for several days, but could never find it. So, that gave me the impetus to decide to get myself a new camera. The D50 is a good camera; but it's 8 years old, and only 6.1 MP. The new camera I'm getting air dropped is another Sony Cybershot, (H200) but this time it's a "crossover" camera. It's still a point and shoot, but has exceptional capabilities. In manual; you can set every aspect to your desired settings. iso 80 to 3200, 28mm to 600mm equivilent lens for a 1cm (1/2 inch) macro to 26x zoom. And best of all; up to 30 seconds exposure. Never seen that on a point and shot before. It's a sweet camera, and I can't wait to get it delivered.

Yo, Leonard! Can't believe you stumbled upon my posts in Woodenboat Forum! Too cool! For those haven't read those posts; and that's probably all the rest of ya's, I was on the Woodenboat Forum trying to discover the make of a boat I was going to adopt from Lou. She was a sweetheart of an old trawler, but had some bad leaks and was drinking about 60 or so gallons per hour. I never got the boat. Not because I didn't want it; nor because Lou wasn't willing to give it to me, but rather because Lou's son's old wooden trawler was here too, and was even more of a drunk than Lou's boat. (300+ gallons per hour.) So, when 2 bilge pups in a row failed on Lou's son's boat, I made the decision to give my boat's bilge pump up to save Lou's son's boat. And with that ended my lil' dream of owning the Sea Pryde III. And so we stripped her of every piece of teak and all good mechanical components and beached her.

Here's what she looked like before we scrapped her.

What a lovely boat. Hurt to let her go, Lou's son's boat was more important.

After she was stripped and beached in front of the boiler house.

And then, to add insult to injury; the boiler house collapsed onto her. The NERVE!

You can see the stern of the boat sticking out of the wreckage. Poor thing got squashed.

Ahh well, can't win 'em all!

Cheers!

Cory
cjlindsay is offline   Reply With Quote