Best camp chair? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-25-2016, 05:18 PM   #15

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
Looks like there is a recall on these chairs.http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2016/...Rocker-Chairs/

Old 08-25-2016, 05:24 PM   #16

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Bob Ruggles really liked the Strongback chairs... here's a thread: Chairs again

Link to the company site https://www.strongbackchair.com/

I checked out one of Bobs Strongback chairs at the Algonac rally, I have pinched nerve around L4 & L5 vertebrae. Typical symptom is lower back and hip pain and leg pain / numbness. I could literally feel the sensation coming back into my legs where numb and the pain fade when I sat down and relaxed.

I also use a couple of the pop open chairs with the flip up side table, heavy and kind of bulky but to be comfortable I either need zero gravity recliner or a chair that gets my hips higher than my knees, or the strong back with lumbar support and good angles for back and hips.

Those bag chairs that you settle into with the knees higher than the lap are very uncomfortable, and they get that way really quickly too.

Old 08-25-2016, 05:42 PM   #17

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970/Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captleemo View Post
Looks like there is a recall on these chairs.http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2016/...Rocker-Chairs/
REI says these are an updated version (see questions and answers on the chairs.)
Old 08-25-2016, 05:52 PM   #18

Washington
Registry
I love my recliner (currently one from Costco, before that, Cabela's.) It just makes camp like home and I read a lot more when I can sit in the recliner. Jack likes it, too. I have another one that just stays at home in the back yard. I use the ever-popular side table type chair for gatherings.
Attached Thumbnails
10626354_10100399162018221_1692557865640750718_o (3).jpg  
Old 08-25-2016, 06:06 PM   #19

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
I like the Zero Clearance recliners. I have two, but only take one with me, my wife and I fight over it. "you had it for an hour, it is my turn now" We miss the kids. The recliners take up to much room, and are heavy, that's why we only take one. But man can I ever nap good in those chairs. Carl
Old 08-25-2016, 06:50 PM   #20

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
I love my recliner (currently one from Costco, before that, Cabela's.) It just makes camp like home and I read a lot more when I can sit in the recliner. Jack likes it, too. I have another one that just stays at home in the back yard. I use the ever-popular side table type chair for gatherings.
I love your fence setup! Is your little dog on a wheelie assist? Very awesome.
5 cylinders, 5 speed auto transmission
Ellpea in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 06:55 PM   #21

Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellpea in CA View Post
I love your fence setup! Is your little dog on a wheelie assist? Very awesome.
Yes, I just put up 3 or 4 xpens. Jack can get out no matter how high they are (and will if I leave) so I just use low ones that keep Oliver and Sadie put. Oliver is the one in the cart.

Funny thing about the recliner, though- it sits on my back patio the rest of the time and he never sits in it there. But if I'm in the trailer and he is outside in the fence (he'll stay in if I'm there) he loves to sit in the chair. Go figure.

Oliver gets a spare Casita cushion that I put outside on camping trips.
Old 08-25-2016, 11:00 PM   #22

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
We have the Coleman Portable Deck Chair with side table. We bought ours at Big 5 for $30 on sale. We love them because they are sturdy, comfortable AND that side table is great for snacking around the campfire or dining when there is no picnic table. We store ours side by side on top of the bed in the trailer. BTW, we also carry a hammock!

Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 11:57 AM   #23

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
In the end, it's NOT about the chair(s) that work best for US, it's your back, your budget and what exactly you NEED to have an outdoor comfortable chair...
: ) What Donna said.

And for Cari and I, since room in the van is at a premium we went with small comfortable chairs from a company called Alite out of San Francisco CA.

Even when we had the Parkliner we still had the Alite chairs inside the van as we would use them everyday out on mini adventures such as an afternoon drive/picknic. When we had the Parkliner we purchased a couple of the Strongback chairs and for us they were ok, but not near the comfort and portability of the Alites. We included the two SB chairs in the closet of the Parkliner when it headed out the driveway with the new owners.

We have four Alite chairs.

One Monarch for me, and if I could only have one chair for the rest of my life it would be this one! This style has a two pad on ground design, You use your two feet as the other two "pads". This allows all sorts of comfy positions.

I take it in my day pack and sit and go zen on the views every trip out.

One Mantis for Cari, a four-pad stable design. She uses it down by the river but prefers the regular height of the "Bison" seen in the camp shot with van in this post.
Mantis:

And then we have two Alite "Bison" chairs as mentioned. We prefer these when eating as they are regular height camp/patio chairs yet still fold up to a bundle that is about 4" x 12" in a stuff sack.

Overall, IF the Alite designs fit your body and budget they are great products backed by a company that has the best customer service I've encountered. We had one of the aluminum tubes break on Cari's Mantis while she accidentally got out of the chair wrong on a slope/hillside. I called Alite and explained the event in detail. After a "Is she ok?" comment from the phone-rep, he stated they would sent out the replacement at no cost ASAP. It arrived that week! And the chair was over three years old! THAT is great customer service.

You can find Alite chairs at any good outdoor store or online, even amazon.

Cheers,
Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 12:04 PM   #24

Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post

https://www.rei.com/product/898893/e...ampfire-rocker

Right now the chair is in their closeout section at half price so if you want one you need to commit very soon or it will be gone.
I bought one thinking I'd like it and if not friends could use it on my back patio. The color is perfect. But I don't like it at all. Just doesn't sit right- leaves me leaning forward instead of relaxing backwards.
Old 08-30-2016, 12:21 PM   #25

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Favorite Camping Chairs

Here's a couple pictures of my favorite camping chairs.

For trailer "camping" there's a different set of chairs.
Attached Thumbnails
chaair 2.jpg   camp chair.jpg  

Old 08-30-2016, 02:04 PM   #26

Name: steve
Trailer: Escape
Washington
Registry
https://gcioutdoor.com/directors-cha...rectors-chair/

these are pretty comfy and fold down pretty small (a top criteria for us). Takes a little squirt of Boeshield T9 lube to keep 'em smooth flowing! could use a footstool!

Crazy Creek chairs are also a favorite. CHAIRS Camp | Logo | Stadium | Backpack | Tailgating | Outdoor Furniture | Corporate Gifts

steve
Old 08-30-2016, 03:16 PM   #27

Name: Glen
Trailer: Coachmen
California
Friends just got a pair of Kawartha camp chairs Exo Nomad
Solid, easy to carry and fold/unfold quickly.
Old 09-05-2016, 05:14 PM   #28

Name: Todd
Trailer: Boler
Indiana
After several years of using $8 bag chairs and complaining about it, we finally picked up a pair of Kijaro Dual Lock chairs on sale at Cabelas (also available at Dick's). So glad we did, as these are great.

Though, I think we may try some of these other ideas when ours wear out - few things beat a comfy chair!

http://m.dickssportinggoods.com/prod...FUUvgQodOxUG8w

1974 Boler 13
2016 Nissan Pathfinder