Best camp chair? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-25-2018, 07:22 AM   #41

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
With chairs that tilt you into a reclined position a head rest is essential to prevent neck and back strain. If you are sitting upright you don't need a head rest. I tried out an aluminum chair yesterday, it had a slightly sloped back without a headrest. I felt neck pain immediately.
I was thinking the same thing. Unless you are reclining and relaxing, a headrest is not needed. In fact, I bet I don't even use the backrest most of the time, no different then sitting around the kitchen table.

Now, if I wanted to be star gazing or napping a zero gravity chair works great for that but is just so big making it tough to bring along.

We bought a Nemo Stargaze Luxury chair to try out. Quite expensive, but if it did perform as we hoped, it would be worth it to have one to bring along as it is light and packs quite small. It gets great reviews too. However, we returned it. I found there was nowhere to put my arms with the support towers at the side, and it had that sling effect that wrapped you in it.
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5057-1...text=stargazer
Not that this is in CAD, but is available at REI too.

After 6 years of hard use, we are still loving our Kermit Chairs. Expensive, but built great. I know of a couple dozen folks that have bought them after seeing and trying ours. Firm and comfortable, pack small for the trailer or canoe, and work great as a festival chair too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 07:56 AM   #42

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
I bought a simple, swivel stool for this reason. Kind of forces you to sit upright and have good posture. Small and simple.

It works great, but I will admit that when I'm with other people and sitting around the fire for a couple hours, I do eventually want something to sink back into and slouch in. I've been waiting for the right chair to jump out at me, but haven't really been in a hurry.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 08:35 AM   #43

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I have had a Kermit chair for over 20 years. They are expensive! I got it in my motorcycle camping days where it was all about packing small, really small. Weight wasn’t really a concern.

They are close to the ground so you need to be good at getting up!
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 08:36 AM   #44

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
On the second question, if you don't like a headrest you likely won't care for a footstool.

On the first question,it seems best answered by the proliferation of designs on the market, each of which was attractive to somebody for some reason,
the size of your camper and TV will affect which chair becomes a favorite.

Also whether you carry them to a community campfire... One of my favorites is a simple little armless folding chair which can ride on my bike rack or sling over my shoulder. I don't use it much at my own campsite.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 09:01 AM   #45

Name: Melanie
Trailer: Lil' Bigfoot
Ontario
We use the helinox chair one. Small to pack up, which is nice as we have 2 adult sized and 1 kid sized. You are low to the ground, but it works out when trying to get that perfectly toasted marshmallow! Size and weight are also nice because we can actually bring them backwoods camping when we get back to that at some point.
Melly is offline   Reply With Quote