Best camp chair? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2016, 10:14 AM   #1

Name: Tap
Trailer: 2015 17' Casita Independence, 2010 Escape 19’
Florida
Best camp chair?

I have been wondering about this and the other chair thread prompted me to post this question to the group.

Since most of our FGRVs are too small to fit leather recliners inside, what is the most comfortable outdoor camp chair you have found? Follow up question, do you use a foot stool or not?

Thanx!
TappyGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:35 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
My Lafuma lounge chair... SWOON. I've had back surgery and can only sit up right comfortably in an old skool aluminum folding web chair. Which works for me because it's light, easily schlepped from campfire to campfire and if it gets left out at night and gets wet... one paper towel to dry it off and I'm good to go.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:46 AM   #3

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by TappyGee View Post
I have been wondering about this and the other chair thread prompted me to post this question to the group.

Since most of our FGRVs are too small to fit leather recliners inside, what is the most comfortable outdoor camp chair you have found? Follow up question, do you use a foot stool or not?

Thanx!

One day early this summer while at the REI flagship store I decided to test out all the light weight folding chairs in the store to find the most comfortable one. I love my zero gravity chair but it is heavy and bulky for stowing away for travel so I wanted to find a viable alternative that did not have those negatives. They have quite a lot of chairs in the REI store to choose from. This one was by a substantial amount of comfort the winner. It was a delight to sit in and would be nice for sitting by a campfire or for reading a book. The height from the ground distance does not require a foot stool for comfort, it is just right for stretching out your legs in a relaxed position but with good back support. The rocking function is not so much for rocking as it is for getting that reclined position exactly at the perfect angle without having to manually adjust the chair with some type of lever. So don't be thinking the ground at campsites is not smooth enough for rocking as that is not the primary function of those runners. However rocking chairs are soothing to the back as you can use them to gently stretch out and relax tight lower back muscles. So it is also a portable massage device at the end of a long day on your feet or a long day of driving even if you have to level out a little smooth rocking path for the runners to sit on. RV sites and tent sites typically do have a reasonably smooth area in them next to the fire ring and picnic tables.
https://www.rei.com/product/898893/e...ampfire-rocker

Right now the chair is in their closeout section at half price so if you want one you need to commit very soon or it will be gone.

I really had to open my mind up to understand why there were rocking feet on a camp chair. Then I realized it is the instant response reclining adjustment function that makes them such a super great feature.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 01:50 PM   #4

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
We just bought two of these this spring, and so far really like them. Although they do not rock :-), they are low to the ground so you can stretch out, semi-recline, and don't need a footstool. I have pretty short legs, so if the chair is too high, legs can go to sleep.

These ALSO have cup holders in one arm, AND an INSULATED zipper compartment in the other. This is deep enough to hold cans or two bottles of beer. Or your snacks on the beach. Sometimes I just use this as a secure spot for sunscreen and car keys -- but it's pretty great.

No negatives to share about these. I also read through all of the reviews (for almost every chair on the market) before making the choice.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 08-24-2016, 02:11 PM   #5

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellpea in CA View Post
We just bought two of these this spring, and so far really like them. Although they do not rock :-), they are low to the ground so you can stretch out, semi-recline, and don't need a footstool. I have pretty short legs, so if the chair is too high, legs can go to sleep.

These ALSO have cup holders in one arm, AND an INSULATED zipper compartment in the other. This is deep enough to hold cans or two bottles of beer. Or your snacks on the beach. Sometimes I just use this as a secure spot for sunscreen and car keys -- but it's pretty great.

No negatives to share about these. I also read through all of the reviews (for almost every chair on the market) before making the choice.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Rei has that exact chair for a lower price, if you buy a pair the combined cost qualifies for free shipping
https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/produ...-getaway-chair
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 04:21 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
In the end, it's NOT about the chair(s) that work best for US, it's your back, your budget and what exactly you NEED to have an outdoor comfortable chair.

Sit in every possible outdoor chair you can. NOT for five minutes, LOTS of those chairs are comfortable for ME... 20 minutes later I feel like a hot poker has been shoved into my spine. You'll figure this out, if you're willing to spend the time. HONEST.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 04:25 PM   #7

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
We have two Coleman Sling Chairs, available at Camping World for $51.15, SKU # 58432. We find them extremely comfortable, and easy to get out of because you sit on the chair, not in it like some camping chairs. My only complaint is that I had to put Locktite on the two bolts/nuts on each chair where the upright attaches to the back of the chair, because they kept loosening. I actually put Locktite on all the connectors at the same time. I would definitely buy these chairs again if they wore out. They do have a drink holder on the right hand arm rest, and have held up quite well.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 08-24-2016, 04:49 PM   #8

Name: Tap
Trailer: 2015 17' Casita Independence, 2010 Escape 19’
Florida
Great ideas so far! Thanx!
TappyGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 05:09 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
My Lafuma lounge chair... SWOON. I've had back surgery and can only sit up right comfortably in an old skool aluminum folding web chair. Which works for me because it's light, easily schlepped from campfire to campfire and if it gets left out at night and gets wet... one paper towel to dry it off and I'm good to go.
While we have a couple Lafuma chairs, they never come with us because they are so darn bulky. They are great for lounging, nice and comfy, and maybe once I retire I will have time to lounge.

Those flip folding chairs are great as they offer good support. I dislike any type of sling chair that 'grabs' me. I would rather just sit on a wood bench.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 05:18 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
We have carried only two chairs for 5 years now, whether for sitting at a table, around the campfire, carried on long canoe trips, or sitting at a festival where shorter chairs are required. They also stow in a very small package. Plus, they are built with top-notch quality.

While they cover all the bases for use, they are quite costly. But given that they provide super support and seemingly will last a long, long time, I find value in that. I hate that folks by the $20 chairs, that often do not last one trip before hitting landfill.

They are Kermit Chairs..
Kermit Chair Company | The Original Touring Chair | Motorcycle Camping Chair

These chairs are very popular in the motorcycle community for touring. Packed they are 24" x 6" around. There is a separate bag for the removable leg extensions. This is great when space saving is desired.

I know lots of people will scoff at the cost, but for me it is more about value than cost, and this chair wins out big in that category.

Check them out, and read all the FAQs.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 05:50 PM   #11

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Bob Ruggles really liked the Strongback chairs... here's a thread: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ain-56419.html
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 05:50 PM   #12

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
We have carried only two chairs for 5 years now, whether for sitting at a table, around the campfire, carried on long canoe trips, or sitting at a festival where shorter chairs are required. They also stow in a very small package. Plus, they are built with top-notch quality.

While they cover all the bases for use, they are quite costly. But given that they provide super support and seemingly will last a long, long time, I find value in that. I hate that folks by the $20 chairs, that often do not last one trip before hitting landfill.

They are Kermit Chairs..
Kermit Chair Company | The Original Touring Chair | Motorcycle Camping Chair

These chairs are very popular in the motorcycle community for touring. Packed they are 24" x 6" around. There is a separate bag for the removable leg extensions. This is great when space saving is desired.

I know lots of people will scoff at the cost, but for me it is more about value than cost, and this chair wins out big in that category.

Check them out, and read all the FAQs.
I can testify to the quality of the Kermit chair. They ARE pricey, but they are SO cool. DH got one for me when sucking me into long distance motorcycling. I'm retiring from LD on the MC, but still love the Kermit. We take it with us to the lake and when camping, it's an extra seat for guests, or handy to carry down to the beach (once it's assembled it folds and has built-in handles), for seating you don't have to put together once you get there.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:50 PM   #13

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I have used two Director type chairs I picked up at Costco for about $30 ten years ago. They have held up well and comfortable to me.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 01:45 PM   #14

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp
Idaho
Registry
Best camp chair? Ah....the holy grail. My newest chair is a Kelty Deluxe Lounge Chair, and I bought it based largely on this video:

This is a BIG chair with comfy, cradling, adjustable arm rests and useful beverage holders. In the fully reclined position, it's like a hammock. It doesn't have a fully upright position, so I use a small Thermarest pillow behind me sometimes. I also use a Byers of Maine roll-up stool for my legs if I want to really want to stretch out and take a nap. Wonderful comfort.

Last year I bought a rocker similar to this one:
https://www.rei.com/product/853186/g...FU-Cfgodm9kGZQ
The nifty design allows it to rock on uneven ground. It's a nice solid "captain" style chair and I like it a lot. Low chairs are hard for me to get in and out of. With this one, I can lean back a little and then "spring" out of it, if you can picture that. This is a nice "social" chair for around the campfire.

So, different chairs for different people and different situations. Good luck!

Gordon
Gordon in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 04:18 PM   #15

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
Looks like there is a recall on these chairs.http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2016/...Rocker-Chairs/
Old 08-25-2016, 04:24 PM   #16

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Bob Ruggles really liked the Strongback chairs... here's a thread: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ain-56419.html

Link to the company site https://www.strongbackchair.com/

I checked out one of Bobs Strongback chairs at the Algonac rally, I have pinched nerve around L4 & L5 vertebrae. Typical symptom is lower back and hip pain and leg pain / numbness. I could literally feel the sensation coming back into my legs where numb and the pain fade when I sat down and relaxed.

I also use a couple of the pop open chairs with the flip up side table, heavy and kind of bulky but to be comfortable I either need zero gravity recliner or a chair that gets my hips higher than my knees, or the strong back with lumbar support and good angles for back and hips.

Those bag chairs that you settle into with the knees higher than the lap are very uncomfortable, and they get that way really quickly too.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 04:42 PM   #17

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captleemo View Post
Looks like there is a recall on these chairs.http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2016/...Rocker-Chairs/
REI says these are an updated version (see questions and answers on the chairs.)
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 04:52 PM   #18

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I love my recliner (currently one from Costco, before that, Cabela's.) It just makes camp like home and I read a lot more when I can sit in the recliner. Jack likes it, too. I have another one that just stays at home in the back yard. I use the ever-popular side table type chair for gatherings.
Attached Thumbnails
10626354_10100399162018221_1692557865640750718_o (3).jpg  
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 05:06 PM   #19

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
I like the Zero Clearance recliners. I have two, but only take one with me, my wife and I fight over it. "you had it for an hour, it is my turn now" We miss the kids. The recliners take up to much room, and are heavy, that's why we only take one. But man can I ever nap good in those chairs. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 05:50 PM   #20

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
I love my recliner (currently one from Costco, before that, Cabela's.) It just makes camp like home and I read a lot more when I can sit in the recliner. Jack likes it, too. I have another one that just stays at home in the back yard. I use the ever-popular side table type chair for gatherings.
I love your fence setup! Is your little dog on a wheelie assist? Very awesome.