Best camp chair? - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-24-2016, 10:14 AM   #1
Member
 
Name: Tap
Trailer: 2015 17' Casita SD
Florida
Posts: 84
Best camp chair?

I have been wondering about this and the other chair thread prompted me to post this question to the group.

Since most of our FGRVs are too small to fit leather recliners inside, what is the most comfortable outdoor camp chair you have found? Follow up question, do you use a foot stool or not?

Thanx!
__________________

__________________
TappyGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:35 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 24,315
My Lafuma lounge chair... SWOON. I've had back surgery and can only sit up right comfortably in an old skool aluminum folding web chair. Which works for me because it's light, easily schlepped from campfire to campfire and if it gets left out at night and gets wet... one paper towel to dry it off and I'm good to go.
__________________

__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:46 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Name: K C
Trailer: 1980 18' Sunrader Motorhome and 1971 Trails West CampMite Campster
Washington
Posts: 1,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by TappyGee View Post
I have been wondering about this and the other chair thread prompted me to post this question to the group.

Since most of our FGRVs are too small to fit leather recliners inside, what is the most comfortable outdoor camp chair you have found? Follow up question, do you use a foot stool or not?

Thanx!

One day early this summer while at the REI flagship store I decided to test out all the light weight folding chairs in the store to find the most comfortable one. I love my zero gravity chair but it is heavy and bulky for stowing away for travel so I wanted to find a viable alternative that did not have those negatives. They have quite a lot of chairs in the REI store to choose from. This one was by a substantial amount of comfort the winner. It was a delight to sit in and would be nice for sitting by a campfire or for reading a book. The height from the ground distance does not require a foot stool for comfort, it is just right for stretching out your legs in a relaxed position but with good back support. The rocking function is not so much for rocking as it is for getting that reclined position exactly at the perfect angle without having to manually adjust the chair with some type of lever. So don't be thinking the ground at campsites is not smooth enough for rocking as that is not the primary function of those runners. However rocking chairs are soothing to the back as you can use them to gently stretch out and relax tight lower back muscles. So it is also a portable massage device at the end of a long day on your feet or a long day of driving even if you have to level out a little smooth rocking path for the runners to sit on. RV sites and tent sites typically do have a reasonably smooth area in them next to the fire ring and picnic tables.
https://www.rei.com/product/898893/e...ampfire-rocker

Right now the chair is in their closeout section at half price so if you want one you need to commit very soon or it will be gone.

I really had to open my mind up to understand why there were rocking feet on a camp chair. Then I realized it is the instant response reclining adjustment function that makes them such a super great feature.
__________________
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 01:50 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Ellpea in CA's Avatar
 
Name: Ellpea
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Posts: 870
Registry
We just bought two of these this spring, and so far really like them. Although they do not rock :-), they are low to the ground so you can stretch out, semi-recline, and don't need a footstool. I have pretty short legs, so if the chair is too high, legs can go to sleep.

These ALSO have cup holders in one arm, AND an INSULATED zipper compartment in the other. This is deep enough to hold cans or two bottles of beer. Or your snacks on the beach. Sometimes I just use this as a secure spot for sunscreen and car keys -- but it's pretty great.

No negatives to share about these. I also read through all of the reviews (for almost every chair on the market) before making the choice.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
__________________
Ellpea in CA
1988 13.5' Lil Bigfoot
2002 Volvo V70 (turbocharged)
5 cylinders, 5 speed auto transmission
Ellpea in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 02:11 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Name: K C
Trailer: 1980 18' Sunrader Motorhome and 1971 Trails West CampMite Campster
Washington
Posts: 1,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellpea in CA View Post
We just bought two of these this spring, and so far really like them. Although they do not rock :-), they are low to the ground so you can stretch out, semi-recline, and don't need a footstool. I have pretty short legs, so if the chair is too high, legs can go to sleep.

These ALSO have cup holders in one arm, AND an INSULATED zipper compartment in the other. This is deep enough to hold cans or two bottles of beer. Or your snacks on the beach. Sometimes I just use this as a secure spot for sunscreen and car keys -- but it's pretty great.

No negatives to share about these. I also read through all of the reviews (for almost every chair on the market) before making the choice.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Rei has that exact chair for a lower price, if you buy a pair the combined cost qualifies for free shipping
https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/produ...-getaway-chair
__________________
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 04:21 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 24,315
In the end, it's NOT about the chair(s) that work best for US, it's your back, your budget and what exactly you NEED to have an outdoor comfortable chair.


Sit in every possible outdoor chair you can. NOT for five minutes, LOTS of those chairs are comfortable for ME... 20 minutes later I feel like a hot poker has been shoved into my spine. You'll figure this out, if you're willing to spend the time. HONEST.
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 04:25 PM   #7
CPW
Senior Member
 
CPW's Avatar
 
Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Flori-duh!
Posts: 900
Registry
We have two Coleman Sling Chairs, available at Camping World for $51.15, SKU # 58432. We find them extremely comfortable, and easy to get out of because you sit on the chair, not in it like some camping chairs. My only complaint is that I had to put Locktite on the two bolts/nuts on each chair where the upright attaches to the back of the chair, because they kept loosening. I actually put Locktite on all the connectors at the same time. I would definitely buy these chairs again if they wore out. They do have a drink holder on the right hand arm rest, and have held up quite well.


Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
__________________
CPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 04:49 PM   #8
Member
 
Name: Tap
Trailer: 2015 17' Casita SD
Florida
Posts: 84
Great ideas so far! Thanx!
__________________
TappyGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 05:09 PM   #9
Moderator
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Posts: 4,474
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
My Lafuma lounge chair... SWOON. I've had back surgery and can only sit up right comfortably in an old skool aluminum folding web chair. Which works for me because it's light, easily schlepped from campfire to campfire and if it gets left out at night and gets wet... one paper towel to dry it off and I'm good to go.
While we have a couple Lafuma chairs, they never come with us because they are so darn bulky. They are great for lounging, nice and comfy, and maybe once I retire I will have time to lounge.

Those flip folding chairs are great as they offer good support. I dislike any type of sling chair that 'grabs' me. I would rather just sit on a wood bench.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA (January 26)
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 05:18 PM   #10
Moderator
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Posts: 4,474
Registry
We have carried only two chairs for 5 years now, whether for sitting at a table, around the campfire, carried on long canoe trips, or sitting at a festival where shorter chairs are required. They also stow in a very small package. Plus, they are built with top-notch quality.

While they cover all the bases for use, they are quite costly. But given that they provide super support and seemingly will last a long, long time, I find value in that. I hate that folks by the $20 chairs, that often do not last one trip before hitting landfill.

They are Kermit Chairs..
Kermit Chair Company | The Original Touring Chair | Motorcycle Camping Chair

These chairs are very popular in the motorcycle community for touring. Packed they are 24" x 6" around. There is a separate bag for the removable leg extensions. This is great when space saving is desired.

I know lots of people will scoff at the cost, but for me it is more about value than cost, and this chair wins out big in that category.

Check them out, and read all the FAQs.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA (January 26)
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 05:50 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Mike Magee's Avatar
 
Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Posts: 4,943
Bob Ruggles really liked the Strongback chairs... here's a thread: Chairs again
__________________
To everything... there is a season...
and a time to every purpose under heaven...
--The Byrds
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 05:50 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Ellpea in CA's Avatar
 
Name: Ellpea
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Posts: 870
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
We have carried only two chairs for 5 years now, whether for sitting at a table, around the campfire, carried on long canoe trips, or sitting at a festival where shorter chairs are required. They also stow in a very small package. Plus, they are built with top-notch quality.

While they cover all the bases for use, they are quite costly. But given that they provide super support and seemingly will last a long, long time, I find value in that. I hate that folks by the $20 chairs, that often do not last one trip before hitting landfill.

They are Kermit Chairs..
Kermit Chair Company | The Original Touring Chair | Motorcycle Camping Chair

These chairs are very popular in the motorcycle community for touring. Packed they are 24" x 6" around. There is a separate bag for the removable leg extensions. This is great when space saving is desired.

I know lots of people will scoff at the cost, but for me it is more about value than cost, and this chair wins out big in that category.

Check them out, and read all the FAQs.
I can testify to the quality of the Kermit chair. They ARE pricey, but they are SO cool. DH got one for me when sucking me into long distance motorcycling. I'm retiring from LD on the MC, but still love the Kermit. We take it with us to the lake and when camping, it's an extra seat for guests, or handy to carry down to the beach (once it's assembled it folds and has built-in handles), for seating you don't have to put together once you get there.
__________________
Ellpea in CA
1988 13.5' Lil Bigfoot
2002 Volvo V70 (turbocharged)
5 cylinders, 5 speed auto transmission
Ellpea in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:50 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Carol H's Avatar
 
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Posts: 11,729
Registry
I have used two Director type chairs I picked up at Costco for about $30 ten years ago. They have held up well and comfortable to me.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just ordered a Strongback Elite camp chair GregandTeresa General Chat 27 09-04-2016 01:45 PM
Best ever Camp Chair??? do you have one?? Ann B General Chat 14 05-08-2010 09:31 AM
Folding Recliner Chair Kevin K General Chat 11 04-15-2008 06:31 AM
Camping Chair Kevin K General Chat 11 11-04-2007 07:54 PM
Best Folding Chair Cam A Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 8 09-20-2007 03:32 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.