Best campground program - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2014, 04:55 AM   #1

Name: Karen
Trailer: 1975 1300 Trillium
Michigan
Registry
Best campground program

We are off next week to get our new to us trailer in Arizona. After which, we are heading towards Tennessee to get a few modifications done at the factory, then home to Michigan. We really like to camp in national campgrounds for the most part, not having hook ups isn't that much of a hassle for us as well. But, we find we will be staying near some cities, esp when visiting family, and in those cases, private campgrounds seem to be in order. Anyone have a campground discount program that they really like? Or dislike? There seem to be plenty around, such as the good sam club, etc. Clue me in please. And if this thread should be in money matters, let me know.

Happy trails,

Karen
Old 04-27-2014, 05:37 AM   #2

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
The Good Sam membership pays for itself with discounts. And if you like shopping at Camping World (and who doesn't?) it's all tied in. Also, we like their roadside assistance. Got excellent service the one time we needed it.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:41 AM   #3
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I've found public campgrounds where I did not expect them using programs mentioned here. Campwhere is still my favorite but it's ipad only. There are many county and city parks with campgrounds. Raz

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...nds-58605.html
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:46 AM   #4

Michigan
Registry
Raz, i have an ipad so i will get that app! I hear good sam also has good insurance. Something else to consider i guess. Thanks. Has anyone used passport America?
Old 04-27-2014, 08:31 AM   #5

Name: David
Trailer: Escape Trailers
Massachusetts
Roadside assistance is separate from Good Sam membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves99 View Post
The Good Sam membership pays for itself with discounts. And if you like shopping at Camping World (and who doesn't?) it's all tied in. Also, we like their roadside assistance. Got excellent service the one time we needed it.
Good Sam's Roadside Assistance requires an additional charge to their membership fee, which is tied into the Camping World discount.

In traveling from CA to TN along I-40, we were able to stay mostly in state parks, which we greatly prefer to commercial rv parks.
Stretcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:50 AM   #6

Name: ginette & ron
Trailer: 2008 25RB 21 Bigfoot
Ontario
We have a membership with Passport America, although we haven't used it much recently. Although we like the 50% discounts offered there seem to be more and more conditions to meet. e.g. no weekends, no holidays, call ahead, some even no peak season. Makes many of the listings quite useless, but still we have in the past useful. This past winter we did not use it at all preferring state parks etc...
Old 04-27-2014, 09:25 AM   #7

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We "HAD" a Good Sam's card .We found on several occasions that parks listed as a Good Sam park had dropped out of the program and were not honoring the discount . We also ran into several campgrounds that gave a discount with the Good Sam Card but the discount was not the advertised 10% .After contacting Good Sam on several occasions about these and other issues and getting nowhere we cancelled our membership .We much prefer Federal ,State ,County or City parks, for us they represent the best value
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:34 AM   #8

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
I have also utilized AAA, and AARP memberships. If you call ahead for reservations ask if they have a discount program. Some will give you credit for just being over 62. The National Parks also have a program for those over 62. For $10 you get a free pass for life. The camping charges are also 50% off. Really sweet.

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:40 AM   #9

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Good Sam and Koa. Good Sam has a book that members can purchase at a reasonable price and it lists all campgrounds to include the Good Sam ones. We drive until we're getting tired then 1 hour out look up a campground in the book, call and make reservations. That way, we're not tied to a schedule.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 11:02 AM   #10

Michigan
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretcher View Post
Good Sam's Roadside Assistance requires an additional charge to their membership fee, which is tied into the Camping World discount.

In traveling from CA to TN along I-40, we were able to stay mostly in state parks, which we greatly prefer to commercial rv parks.
Thanks. We too prefer national or state parks. Glad to hear you were able to pull that off on that stretch. We are traveling that road from lake Havesu AZ to Tennessee. Any places you highly recommend ?

Thanks. Karen
Old 04-27-2014, 01:28 PM   #11

Massachusetts
Hi Karen

Hi Karen,

If you send me your email address, I'll send part of a log from our trip. You should know that many of the state parks we used were 20 miles off of I-40.

David
Old 04-27-2014, 01:46 PM   #12

Michigan
Registry
Stretcher

Couldn't figure out how to PM you. So here it is:
karebing@ gmail.com

Thanks. Karen
Old 04-27-2014, 02:33 PM   #13

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
If you click on the member's name, a thing opens up right below it and the second choice you then can click on is for sending PM. Hope that helps.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 02:41 PM   #14

Massachusetts
Good info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
If you click on the member's name, a thing opens up right below it and the second choice you then can click on is for sending PM. Hope that helps.
Good info.

Thanks
Old 04-27-2014, 03:10 PM   #15

Name: Josie&Craig
Trailer: Escape 21
South Carolina
Registry
Try ultimate campground guide this is a program that shows city, state, federal , military and county campgrounds on a map. Click on the park to see costs and what features it offers. The program has a cost of about $6.00 but I have been using it for free on both my laptop and tablet. The county park feature is nice because they run less most of the time and some of them are gems. Ultimate Campground Guide.

"Not all those who wander are lost." (J.R.R. Tolkein from Lord of the Rings..."Strider's Poem")
2yax2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 03:36 PM   #16

Trailer: Casita Patriot
Registry
don't forget the "cash discount". on a recent trip out west i discovered that those mom & pop (non franchise) campgrounds respond to a crisp twenty dollar bill. you're usually dealing with the owner and if the campground isn't full your chances of getting a site at a substantial "discount" are pretty good if you ask. it's most likely not a place you'd like to spend a lot of time, but..for one night in the middle of nowhere after a few nights of cracker barrels and wal marts a site with full hookups is a good thing. the trip was one of those "destination trips" and i was interested in getting from one place to another as quickly as comfortably possible in order to maximize time at the destination.

p@
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 05:18 PM   #17

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Horizon
Raz, I tried to find campwhere but it seems like its been taken off the apple app site ?
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 05:25 PM   #18

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
I have an app called RVPARKING.COM for my iPhone. It includes state parks. I think it's a free app. It sure has a lot of listings. It's map based & easy to use. Seems to just cover the US.