Best insulation ? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-30-2016, 06:49 PM   #15
Commercial Member

Name: Larry
Trailer: Casita 17 LD
Kentucky
Here is an idea of how to put reflectix on the windows. I built frames around the windows and put roll up shades for day and we put reflectix in at night.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1877.jpg  

Old 11-30-2016, 07:12 PM   #16

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Outlaw View Post
Not in the Oliver...
Yes some trailers have double pane windows which could cause a controversy over the word "major" so I took away the caps .
Thermopane windows are nice (and better than single pane in cold weather) but still not as efficient as a properly insulated wall.
I believe you will find that the Oliver, like other fiberglass trailers is tight enough that it requires some venting to reduce the condensation which will form on the windows and their aluminum frames.
If you ever stay in your Oliver in 20 degree weather, simply place your hand at the bottom of the window when the furnace is not cycling.

Old 11-30-2016, 07:21 PM   #17

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaMarie View Post
Hi Floyd! How did you make those reflectix window covers if you don't mind my asking. Thank you! You're sure right...they are cold!
Mine are simple. I simply bought a roll of reflectix and use a pair of scissors to cut the covers to friction fit into the frames.
This was easy and works well but there may be better ways...
Like to cut them large enough to cover the frame and all and use velcro to fasten them (on a Scamp)
While we did fine for twelve years, our winter trips to Florida made the covers practical. They are nice but seldom used.
Another nice thing is that they block light for times when we stay close to a bright street light.
Old 11-30-2016, 09:19 PM   #18

Name: Ken
Trailer: 84BigFoot 5th 2002 travelaire 5th wheel
Alaska
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry,C View Post
Here is an idea of how to put reflectix on the windows. I built frames around the windows and put roll up shades for day and we put reflectix in at night.
That looks wonderful thank you
Old 11-30-2016, 10:35 PM   #19

Alaska
Registry
What's the coldest temp you & your egg have camped? And how did it do?
Old 12-01-2016, 04:58 AM   #20
Commercial Member

Name: Larry
Trailer: Casita 17 LD
Kentucky
We have camped down to 15 degrees but we did have electricity that night. We weren't winterized and I don't have the factory furnace. We used the strip heater and a cube heater under the bed with the lower compartment doors open. It was 62 in the trailer in the morning. I think the additional insulating properties of the wood on the walls and ceiling help also. The next day the fitting on the P trap under the shower started leaking but I think it was caused by an impact with an ice ball on the interstate. Gave me an excuse to install a Hepvo valve to eliminate the P trap.
Old 12-01-2016, 03:34 PM   #21

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
ex VT, now CO
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Mine are simple. I simply bought a roll of reflectix and use a pair of scissors to cut the covers to friction fit into the frames.
This was easy and works well but there may be better ways...
Like to cut them large enough to cover the frame and all and use velcro to fasten them (on a Scamp)
While we did fine for twelve years, our winter trips to Florida made the covers practical. They are nice but seldom used.
Another nice thing is that they block light for times when we stay close to a bright street light.
My window covers are similar, using aluminized glass reinforced material I salvaged from some shipping packaging. Then my wife sowed on short pieces of the hook of the hook-n-loop (Velcro). It hooks to the rat fur very nicely. The covers are bigger than the window frames by a few inches. The aluminum faces the inside. For storage these pieces roll up and live in the overhead storage bins.

We've camped at temps down to 23F once (only a few hours), just below freezing a number of times, and in the 30s lots more times.
Old 12-02-2016, 01:00 AM   #22

Alaska
Registry
I'm starting to get the crazy idea of making a super insulated egg out
Of my 1970 trails west may not be a joke after all, the interior is trashed so striping it and insulating it with 2"of closed cell styrofoam may be doable
I would share a pic if I could figure out how to do it on this I-pad!
Old 12-02-2016, 01:15 AM   #23

Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
And, in the summer, you could use it as a cooler.
Could be chilly in there with a R value of 8-10.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:26 AM   #24
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Jr View Post
Of my 1970 trails west may not be a joke after all, the interior is trashed so striping it and insulating it with 2"of closed cell styrofoam may be doable

Extruded polystyrene foam (blue board, pink board) is a great insulator at R5 per inch. I used it to insulate my foundation a couple of years ago. It is easily cut with a table saw and apply using polyurethane adhesive. Unfortunately it is easily ignited and burns quickly. As such building codes say it should not be used inside without a fire proof covering such as drywall.

Contrary to what folks think, Reflectix is a lousy insulator without an air space. Scamp uses it , two layers I think, and claims R15, which may be why folks think it's so good. A visit to the Reflectix site dispels the myth:

What if There is No Air Space Present on Either Side of the Product?
No Air Space = No Reflective Insulation Benefit
(An R-1.1 is provided from the product itself for the Reflective/Double Bubble material.)

This is comparable to a single pane of glass. Still, it's cheap, easy to find, and easy to work with. My Trillium came with closed cell foam which is similar. A while back one member used closed cell exercise pad, the stuff that interlocks. I'm not sure about fire rating but that might be a possibility? Good luck with your project. Raz
Old 12-02-2016, 06:35 AM   #25

ex VT, now CO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Jr View Post
Don't forget to leave some living space.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:00 AM   #26

ex VT, now CO
Here is an easy experiment for those who want to play: turn the fan on, to blow air in, and close all windows and door. Then go around the outside and feel for air escaping. The greatest loss of air was through the window frame weep holes. I thought it would be past the door, but that was definitely not the case. Another leak was past the refrigerator, basically on all sides. That can be felt on the inside, after reversing the fan.

I did not climb to the roof to feel the big vents, I bet they leak a lot. (And the pressurized camper will tend to open them a bit anyway.) In cold weather I plug the square openings with thick closed cell foam pieces that fit snug.
Old 12-02-2016, 10:16 AM   #27

Alaska
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Extruded polystyrene foam (blue board, pink board) is a great insulator at R5 per inch. I used it to insulate my foundation a couple of years ago. It is easily cut with a table saw and apply using polyurethane adhesive. Unfortunately it is easily ignited and burns quickly. As such building codes say it should not be used inside without a fire proof covering such as drywall.

Contrary to what folks think, Reflectix is a lousy insulator without an air space. Scamp uses it , two layers I think, and claims R15, which may be why folks think it's so good. A visit to the Reflectix site dispels the myth:

What if There is No Air Space Present on Either Side of the Product?
No Air Space = No Reflective Insulation Benefit
(An R-1.1 is provided from the product itself for the Reflective/Double Bubble material.)

This is comparable to a single pane of glass. Still, it's cheap, easy to find, and easy to work with. My Trillium came with closed cell foam which is similar. A while back one member used closed cell exercise pad, the stuff that interlocks. I'm not sure about fire rating but that might be a possibility? Good luck with your project. Raz
Great info thanks Raz
Old 12-02-2016, 11:08 AM   #28

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
After spending a very chilly mid teens couple nights in Tennessee a couple year back I have played with the idea of redoing the insulation on my Egg. I like the foam board idea for under the floor, but wonder about fire protection and resistance to environment (water, ice, etc.) and durability.

Biggest issues I have found are any holes cut for appliances and utilities (plumbing, electrical). Once those are sealed up I planned on getting spray in foam insulation and filling the gaps between inner and outer shells, because it appears the reflectix was installed after the inner shell and only on exposed surfaces (inside cabinets and such).

Jason