Best Investment - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2008, 11:44 AM   #41

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft
after reading all the posts on this thread -- I now have my list of things I wish I had

BAL leveler
Solar
Dish tv

We've been doing more dry camping and all the above would have come in very handy.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:50 AM   #42

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
I was looking at the shower-toilet combinatioins.... ths may sound wierd, how do you keep your toilet paper dry? Do you have to take the roll out when you have a shower? Just wondering.
We use a large cottage cheese container. A roll fits right in the container and you just snap the lid on it when needed.
Linda R002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 02:20 PM   #43
Commercial Member

Trailer: Escape Manufacturer
Hi Greg.....

Toilet paper holder is mounted on the bathroom door. When showering, the shower curtain is pulled across the door opening....keeping those important tissue squares dry!

When we get the opportunity to get away, we always bring a couple of ball gloves and a frisbee. Its too easy to sit and relax all day. A couple of movies for the TV/DVD player is nice at bed time or for the kids during those rainy periods.

Reace and Tammy
Reace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 04:18 PM   #44

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: One thing I wouldn't go without... but haven't gotten around to buying yet would be a new ESCAPE 5.0... but then I'd need a pickup truck and thats two things...DRAT!!! LoL
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 04:21 PM   #45

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I like a dry TP container (coffee can w/lid) because I usually use the facilities in the CG and always take my TP with me so I know I have some. I use the wooden FORD leveling system (Found On Road Dropped)

Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 09:29 PM   #46

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
Quote:
.... I use the wooden FORD leveling system (Found On Road Dropped)
Pete, I like your FORD concept, is it wireless or telepathic?

George.
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 10:04 PM   #47

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft ('The Pod')
BobB's report of setting up his satellite dish for TV reminds me of a couple we camped next to in a lovely forested area in Montana. Late into the evening they were screaming at each other in positioning their dish, and I decided the most important thing they could have brought was walkie-talkies so the whole camp didn't have to listen to them!

Our most useful gadget is the portable step stool outside the door. Our Scamp has the attached step, but it is too shallow to step out of the trailer comfortably, and a wide, slip resistant platform with folding legs that will not tip has saved my old knees.

Vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 10:36 PM   #48

Quote:
Pete, I like your FORD concept, is it wireless or telepathic?
Strictly reflected waves in the visible frequencies...

The white closed cell foam glued to inside of my gravel shield as anti-condensation insulation is FORD.

The major-league nylon strapping holding my kayak on roof racks is FORD.

My leveling block/jack-stand supports are FORD.

Lots of good stuf on side of road or side of CG dumpsters, esp tent poles, sleeping foam, tarps and other useful stuf.

Best investment by far was used egg!
Old 04-04-2008, 10:54 PM   #49

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
Quote:
Strictly reflected waves in the visible frequencies...

The white closed cell foam glued to inside of my gravel shield as anti-condensation insulation is FORD.

The major-league nylon strapping holding my kayak on roof racks is FORD.

My leveling block/jack-stand supports are FORD.

Lots of good stuf on side of road or side of CG dumpsters, esp tent poles, sleeping foam, tarps and other useful stuf.

Best investment by far was used egg!
I have FORD too, very expensive but not very good. Now I know who is guilty of 80,000 people laid-off last month, it is you Pete. You supposed to buy THE STUFF.

GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 07:14 PM   #50

Company accountant would chant:

Use it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Do without!
Old 04-05-2008, 11:40 PM   #51

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
This IS a really interesting thread - thanx!

Well, after several years of van-camping, finding in our "pre-loved" Scamp 13 was a TERRIFIC upgrade. That said, the best investments for inside the Egg are:

(1) our memory-foam mattress - this is the most comfortable bed we've ever slept in! When we visit family/friends, they can't understand why we prefer our bed in the Egg to a 'real' bed in a 'real' house

(2) a small solar panel to keep our house battery topped off - great for a few days of dry camping.

Happy Spring - L 'n D

Old 04-08-2008, 07:13 AM   #52
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Since I have made a lot of changes to mine, there are many choices. The one upgrade that I have always said was my best was replacing my old converter with a PD 9145 w/ chg wizard which allowed me to install an AGM battery. My battery is VERY hard to get to, so battery maintenance required a certain amount of disassembly. I installed this system several years ago and it has been trouble (and maintenance) free. Absolutely the one thing I would do again.

My toilet paper holder is installed on the door. Never been wet.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 02:11 AM   #53

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
I don't have anyone to yell at but the dog, as Peggy doesn't go camping very often, Vivian. There is definitely a learning curve, at least for me. The photo is at San Luis Creek Campground last Saturday. Ain't we uptown?
Attached Thumbnails
uptown.jpg  
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 10:10 PM   #54

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft ('The Pod')
Quote:
I don't have anyone to yell at but the dog, as Peggy doesn't go camping very often, Vivian. There is definitely a learning curve, at least for me. The photo is at San Luis Creek Campground last Saturday. Ain't we uptown?
BobB, I certainly did not mean to imply that YOU were yelling at anyone! I was just thinking about the couple in Montana who needed a better way to communicate! Your camp is first class!
Vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 10:24 PM   #55

Trailer: 1998 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / Red F150 X-Cab
A blank cd holder works great! Put the tp over the spindle and drop the lid on it.

Quote:
Hi Greg.....

Toilet paper holder is mounted on the bathroom door. When showering, the shower curtain is pulled across the door opening....keeping those important tissue squares dry!

When we get the opportunity to get away, we always bring a couple of ball gloves and a frisbee. Its too easy to sit and relax all day. A couple of movies for the TV/DVD player is nice at bed time or for the kids during those rainy periods.

Reace and Tammy
Lisa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 11:04 PM   #56

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I'm not sure I've made the real best investment yet, but I absolutely love the LilyPod microwave coffee brewer that I bought for $5. (Which makes the microwave a good investment, too, I guess, lol.) It makes a great cup of hot coffee that stays hot (insulated mug that is heated as it brews) and clean up is a cinch. The $5 included 18 coffee pods, too.

The Bal Leveler is nice, too. What it needs to go along with it, though, is an audible level that could be placed in an appropriate spot so that when the trailer was leveled, it beeped or something. (Is there any such thing?)

And what I REALLY need is something to tell me how close I'm getting to the trailer ball when I back. I can line up just fine- but then I'm always getting out, measuring how much further, and trying to back just that far.

Bobbie

Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 11:57 PM   #57

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Quote:
And what I REALLY need is something to tell me how close I'm getting to the trailer ball when I back. I can line up just fine- but then I'm always getting out, measuring how much further, and trying to back just that far.
Bobbie
Bobbie go online to Harbor Frieght and order item#95684-3VGA. They are magnetic backup aids, one for the TV and one for the trailer, that you watch in your rear view mirror and when the meet you are in the correct position.
I have been towing all of my life and I wish I had bought a set of these years ago.
Some one here mentioned them a few weeks ago so I bought a set. They were very inexpensive, about $12.00 including shipping.
This is the second best thing I have invested in for camping.
John
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 12:10 AM   #58

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Disp...temnumber=95684
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 08:32 AM   #59

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Or you can order them from Cabelas for $29.95 plus shipping!
What a deal!
Dan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 08:47 AM   #60

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
Bobbie go online to Harbor Frieght and order item#95684-3VGA. They are magnetic backup aids, one for the TV and one for the trailer, that you watch in your rear view mirror and when the meet you are in the correct position.
I have been towing all of my life and I wish I had bought a set of these years ago.
Some one here mentioned them a few weeks ago so I bought a set. They were very inexpensive, about $12.00 including shipping.
This is the second best thing I have invested in for camping.
John
I can see how they line you up but how can you tell you are far enough back towards the trailer? One would eclipse the other if you were in line, and how would you know if they were close together?

Never mind, the Cabela's description is better and I see what is supposed to happen.

Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote