Best Off-Road/4 Season Egg is.... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-10-2014, 03:08 PM   #15

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Yes.
Your call. Go here to see specs, pix etc.
The 17 Foot Escape
My 17B has the high-lift axle and 15" tires ( not those wimpy 13" ).
Where I go is limited by the RAV4. I found, crossing a ditch that Forest Service had dug across the road, that my hitch hung up when the rear tires entered the ditch. I've never had an issue with trailer clearance.
Attached Thumbnails
Rock pile.jpg  

Old 04-10-2014, 03:34 PM   #16

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Unless purchased without holding tanks, the Escape needs 15" tires and a hi-lift axle just to avoid scraping all that sewer stuff off the bottom when leaving a parking lot, Glenn. Real off-roaders like my Trillium don't have all that frou frou on the underside, so no need to be taller...

Escape 17er sewer pipes:

Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 03:57 PM   #17

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
I see you found your place.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:17 PM   #18

Name: A
Trailer: Escape
California
The Bigfoot is 8' wide isn't it? I think a narrower Escape would be preferred.

Also, Livin' Lite has a couple of off-road models.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:04 PM   #19

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Unless purchased without holding tanks, the Escape needs 15" tires and a hi-lift axle just to avoid scraping all that sewer stuff off the bottom when leaving a parking lot, Glenn. Real off-roaders like my Trillium don't have all that frou frou on the underside, so no need to be taller...

Escape 17er sewer pipes:
Hummm I am not totally convinced of that. Am often left wondering where folks go that they need big lifts on the trailer - climbing over large boulders? All the flexing that would create on the fiberglass can't be easy on the trailer in general.

My old Scamp which could probable use a little lift by a new axle in the not so distant future has been hauled down lots of forest service & logging roads - pot holed dirt roads & some places I am not sure one would even call it an actual road LOL, here on the west coast as well as many off the beaten track roads from here to Arizona and so far I haven't dinged up or broken off any of the sewer stuff or water tanks or anything else under the trailer doing it. I have managed though to damage a heat shield and damage two rather pricey air pressure monitors on the tires of the Subaru Outback pulling it though.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:01 PM   #20

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Interesting that this thread was renewed:

Is the NEW op asking for simply the best off-road rig he can buy? Or the best Off-road trailer of the FGRV genre?

Based on some of the suggestions, I suppose they are great for off paved roads and forest trails, especially if you have a need to take an entire apartment with you.

But for the more serious Off-Roader I would suggest the much smaller and lighter family of pop-up trailers such as Hunter Compact-I, II & Jr or the Trails West Campster. Both offer off-road amenities, a much lower height to duck under trees and overhanging rocks. less weight to pull out of whatever ditch or wash you get stuck in. And by changing out to a simple straight axle and adding 15" wheels you are good to go almost anywhere you can drive.

They also offer a much lower investment/loss possibility should it try to roll over a cliff without the TV attached etc. On top of that, the tent part still gives at least some of the outdoor experience supposedly sought after by the true off road adventurer.

I have seen several that have been built up crazy, but it doesn't take much $$$ or time to get one off the road.

Forgot to add: Because they are small, the smallest furnace will blast you out with the top in the down position.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:44 PM   #21

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Interesting that this thread was renewed:

Is the NEW op asking for simply the best off-road rig he can buy? Or the best Off-road trailer of the FGRV genre?
The "New" O.P. asks simply about the "best offroad trailer". Clearly, between the two brands originally discussed, the Bigfoot is the best "all-season"; it having true enclosed tanks/plumbing etc., not just sprayed-on insulation added after the fact. That feature also probably gives it extra "off road" points, too, since there's nothin' hanging down to get caught on stray branches etc., unlike with the Escape.

Which brings me to an obvious point brought out by both Glenn and Carol re. the deficiencies/lack of clearance of their tugs: There's really no point in worrying about trailer clearance unless the tow vehicle's limit itself is unmatched in that department, not just per clearance but also for skid plate protection etc. If yer drivin' a Subie or Toyota without such offroad protections, why pay for offroad upfits since the tug will never get the trailer there to begin with?

I myself am lucky enough to own/drive a first-gen Kia Sportage so enjoy not just more clearance than average, but modified ladder frame construction and skid plates to boot.

Oh, yes...we be ba-a-a-d, when it comes to off roadin', my Kia, Trillium, and li'l ol' me!
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:16 PM   #22

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
This set-up never let us down. Jeep Wrangler on 6" lift riding on 37" tires. Flexi-ride axle allows multiple adjustments to the ride height of the Scamp.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01343.jpg  
Old 04-10-2014, 10:29 PM   #23

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Not that long ago a member posted a picture of a scamp or boler 13 with an axle replaced that rode with the tongue level with his Jeep Wrangler. Think that had all the ground clearance one could want.
Was red so don't think it was Dave B. but same general idea.

There was about a year ago a custom 13 ft. done for a rock climber. That was probably big $$$ since it was custom frame, axle and interior. Think the shell was the only thing stock. Queen bed, tiny kitchen, porta pottie in custom bench seat that opened for access. All in nice wood.

On that 4 season thing, Minn. in winter would be a challenge entirely different than south Ohio.

Not FG but my old school bus camper had enough ground clearance I could sit up under it, big V8 and a creeper first gear that was all torque. Dual drive tires. And only 7 1/2 feet width. Just the ticket for going way back in the boonies. The 6-7 mpg is a little hard to live with at $3.85 a gallon.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:44 PM   #24

Name: Deborah
Trailer: Prius camping - want an Oliver
Virginia
Not an egg, but pretty cool: UEV 440 Conqueror Australia off road trailer - YouTube

And check out the solar panels he throws up on the awning!